Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone use a bike rack and if so which type?

Search this Thread

Old 17 November 2011, 09:16 PM
wilbo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone use a bike rack and if so which type?

I am a keen cyclist and initially thought I would just transport bikes in the boot of my WRX which is fine but I have started to get back into XC riding and the bike gets filthy so starting to think a bike rack would be better.

Anyone use one on a saloon WRX and if so which one / type?
Old 17 November 2011, 09:28 PM
Iain250
Scooby Regular

Bought this one earlier with the matching roof bars for my99 wagon earlier this year - was a bit dearer than most but its the real deal bikes are clamped solidly and it looks like it will last for years

http://www.thule.com/en/GB/Products/...e-FreeRide-532
Old 17 November 2011, 09:45 PM
Benji554
Scooby Regular

Don't buy a cheap one!! I did a few years back and lost 1500 quids worth of mountain bike when one of the retainers snapped!!! 
Old 18 November 2011, 06:12 PM
greylag
Scooby Regular

When i had my blobeye wrx i had the subaru/mont blanc roof bars with standard thule racks,very fiddly to fit and you have to be careful not to scratch the car roof when fitting and unfitting it,with very small plates and grub screws,now got a wagon with roof rails so bought all new thule aero bars and aero racks,fitment is so much better and easier with roof rails,there isn't a perfect solution for the saloon wrx as the thule roof bar feet can dimple the roof above the doors if you get them too tight.
Old 18 November 2011, 06:31 PM
wilbo
Scooby Regular

Starting to think I will just buy a boot liner and carry on using that. Has no one fitted the ones onto the back of the car rather than the roof racks?
Old 18 November 2011, 06:35 PM
GIBZY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wilbo
Starting to think I will just buy a boot liner and carry on using that. Has no one fitted the ones onto the back of the car rather than the roof racks?
Im looking into carrying on the rear aswell, but cannot find anything.
Old 18 November 2011, 08:32 PM
DarrenSTI
Scooby Regular

The Bones rack look well made, but can't confirm on Impreza saloon.
My mate has a Halfords one I'm meaning to borrow, see if I can get that to fit round/through the STI spoiler

Apart from that the bike is going on the back seat with a rear seat cover, it wont fit in the boot due to a sub, so off come the wheels& seat and it goes it fine........actually off tomorrow for a ride, nice and cold
Old 18 November 2011, 10:03 PM
greylag
Scooby Regular

did buy a witter towbar to mount a bikerack on that,but swapped to a wagon as i mentioned,something else cluttering up my shed now,forgot to mention one problem with the set up on my wagon,the tailgate spoiler fouls the rear of the carriers when raised,carrying bikes requires compromise,if i still had the saloon i'd go down the towbar mounted route.
Old 19 November 2011, 07:53 PM
Travis1971
Scooby Regular

Thule do a 3 or 4 bike carrier that is tow bar mounted it is a great bit of kit but not exactly cheap, pm me if you need to know anything more

Cheers
Old 19 November 2011, 09:34 PM
GIBZY
Scooby Regular

Looking at the Thule website it states that you can use the 905 type roof bars.

They have it described on their site as Thule 950 Gutterless footpack for cars with normal roof

Shaun
Old 19 November 2011, 11:01 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Towbar mounted: to be avoided, can't open boot, put too much force on rear susp due to leverage. Bikes knock each other and poss car.

Boot mount: as above

rack: use scoob bars, decent racks, job's a good ' un
Old 19 November 2011, 11:38 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

I use the Halfords Advanced roof mounted, on the misses car of course lol
Old 20 November 2011, 04:13 PM
mik
Scooby Regular

Thule 532 carriers on the setup below (Thule aerobars) - can fit two bikes on with the box, or four without.

Old 20 November 2011, 07:56 PM
Rez
Scooby Regular

I'm looking to buy a thule soon for my mtb, at the moment though I use an old motorbike waterproof rain cover in my wagon. Turned inside out it more than holds my muddy specialized plus gear.. cheap and keeps the car clean!!
Old 20 November 2011, 08:23 PM
wilbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rez
I'm looking to buy a thule soon for my mtb, at the moment though I use an old motorbike waterproof rain cover in my wagon. Turned inside out it more than holds my muddy specialized plus gear.. cheap and keeps the car clean!!
Any pics?!
Old 30 December 2011, 09:55 PM
wilbo
Scooby Regular

BTTT, considering a Saris Bones 3 rack, anyone got experience of these? Would only ever use 2 bikes max but I think having the one for 3 bikes would enable the 2 bikes to be mounted further from the car. Want to buy one to use on the Impreza (low level spoiler) and the gf's fiesta.

Even the cheaper Saris Sentinel ones dont look too bad..

Last edited by wilbo; 30 December 2011 at 10:06 PM.
Old 31 December 2011, 09:56 PM
Travis1971
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Towbar mounted: to be avoided, can't open boot, put too much force on rear susp due to leverage. Bikes knock each other and poss car.

Boot mount: as above

rack: use scoob bars, decent racks, job's a good ' un
Thule euroclassic 3 will take 3 or 4 bikes with an extra rail it fits onto the tow bar and will not knock each other or the car as it has holding bars. as far as I am aware you can still open the boot.

Every tow bar is designed with a swl on both towing and nose weight which will not damage the suspension so unless your overloading the bar with a couple of cast iron bikes then it will be fine
Old 31 December 2011, 11:04 PM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

BTTT, considering a Saris Bones 3 rack, anyone got experience of these? Would only ever use 2 bikes max but I think having the one for 3 bikes would enable the 2 bikes to be mounted further from the car. Want to buy one to use on the Impreza (low level spoiler) and the gf's fiesta.

I have one of these but not tried fitting to my STI (haven`t cycled for 3 years, lost the love ) Doubt it would fit but like I said, not tried. On a low level spoiler it would probably fit easily.
Old 03 January 2012, 09:34 PM
wilbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobySteve69
I have one of these but not tried fitting to my STI (haven`t cycled for 3 years, lost the love ) Doubt it would fit but like I said, not tried. On a low level spoiler it would probably fit easily.
Dont suppose you could try to see if it would fit when you get a moment? Dont know how much hassle is involved in doing this, if its a ballache then dont worry
Old 03 January 2012, 10:30 PM
chrispy200+
Scooby Regular

I've got a saris rack that looks a lot like the 3 and it fits my type r with no problems
Use the halfords bike rack which is just a rebadged Thule one on a set of roof bars on the other car, was £70 I think for the 2
Old 04 January 2012, 12:06 AM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

Dont suppose you could try to see if it would fit when you get a moment? Dont know how much hassle is involved in doing this, if its a ballache then dont worry
Ok, I`ll have a play tomorrow....today
Old 04 January 2012, 10:04 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

http://www.hollywoodracks.com/
Old 04 January 2012, 11:44 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

I'd avoid the boot mounted jobs. They never look that secure, you can't get in the boot with it fitted, at some point you will scratch / damage your paintwork something will be loose or clatter into the boot.

I've got a couple of these with aero roof bars (on my Passat admittedly) http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbv...~cC4ure%60JRMa

Do the job nicely. When I had the Scoob though I did just put the bike in the boot with the seats down, and had a big tarpaulin to line the boot with that only cost a few £ from B&Q. Didn't seem right to put a roof rack on a Scooby and supposedly you're not to drive as fast with a loaded roof rack on
Old 04 January 2012, 12:04 PM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger
I'd avoid the boot mounted jobs. They never look that secure, you can't get in the boot with it fitted, at some point you will scratch / damage your paintwork something will be loose or clatter into the boot.
The Saris one above is very secure. I`ve carried 3 bikes on mine. You`re right about damage though. The rubber feet scratch the paintwork very lightly so all I did wad wrap a microfibre cloth around each foot
Old 04 January 2012, 12:35 PM
wilbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobySteve69
The Saris one above is very secure. I`ve carried 3 bikes on mine. You`re right about damage though. The rubber feet scratch the paintwork very lightly so all I did wad wrap a microfibre cloth around each foot
Not too fussed about not getting in the boot whilst it is fitted. Would prefer boot mounted as I want to use it on 2 cars so can easily switch between and I dont really want to buy 2 sets of roof bars or drive the scooby with roof bars on. The Saris Bones is certainly appealing with lots of positive reviews, hoping to find a shop locally with one in stock that I can double check if it fits.

Had heard about wrapping the feet in cloths