Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I don't know what I want, but I want it now...

Search this Thread

Old 17 November 2011, 08:20 AM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I don't know what I want, but I want it now...

Do any of you remember 'Dave' from The Fast Show? He was the character who couldn't make up his mind about anything and agreed with every opinion put to him, even polar opposites.

Well I've turned into him. Back in May, I bought a 2002 Bug STi which I quickly discovered was a rusty heap and luckily I got a refund on it (there's a thread somewhere on here about rusty front subframes). Since then I've been looking for another STi, but I've veered from Blobs to Hawks, then to WR1s, on to Mk1 Type 25s (which I might just be able to afford, but not Mk2s) and back to Blobs again.

The net result is I've ended up with the money still saved up, but an empty garage. Every time I've decided what to go for, there have either been none for sale or something has cropped up to fill my time and I've not been able to do anything about it.

From all I've seen and read, now is possibly the best time to buy for ages, with a surplus of cars and few buyers, so I ought to get my finger out.

I've seen this:

http://www.thevillagegarage.co.uk/sales/annonce/4

but although it seems pretty much Type 25 spec, it doesn't mention the magic word 'Litchfield' anywhere, and is right at the absolute wallet-bursting top of my price range. I'd sooner spend a few grand less, but I do want a decent low mileage car.

The problem is, I still don't know what to go for. And that's the reason for this post. Given the ability to buy pretty much anything currently on the market from before the 2008 models (which I don't like), I'd greatly value your opinions about what to buy.

(And no, I'm not rich by any means, but I have been saving for this for a very long time, so I need to get it right.)

Thanks for any help and thoughts.
Old 17 November 2011, 08:48 AM
Stealth
Scooby Regular

Depends what you want out of the car mate..... If you need somethin to be strong reliable and comfy (ish) then I'd go fora blob or hawk STI, if you want something that is fast and harsh that WILL encounter problems (unless rebuilt etc) I'd go for the Type-R

Also depends how much Road tax you think you'll be able to suck up every year as well as Insurance..... The Hawks are £400 a year or something like that and an early blob is about £230ish

It's all personal preference and only things that you can answer, you just need to find a car that you instantly fall in love with I think and go buy it .... That's what I did..... I went to a matews one weekend and saw the car for sale, looked at it, thought about it, went out on the lash, went home and phoned the 24hr bank service, sorted the money out still lashed up and then went and bought it the following afternoon when I was sober LOL

Amazing weekend that
Old 17 November 2011, 09:44 AM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Lol twin scroll Spec D That's either been massively modified by someone or it's been taken in PX with some rather incorrect information. Thinking of selling mine again, pics in my profile
Old 17 November 2011, 11:14 AM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

As the others have said would go for a really late blob then you will get the facelift interior etc.
Old 17 November 2011, 11:19 AM
ste_brough
Scooby Regular

Could have been an A line (JDM Spec D), but then again there is no rear wiper? As 53 said, seems like a JDM/UK spec mix?
Old 17 November 2011, 11:26 AM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a 2.5 spec d with bits on it. For some reason spec d's seem to be a lot cheaper than a standard STI.
Old 17 November 2011, 11:56 AM
ste_brough
Scooby Regular

You want to buy my car yet Immy?
Old 17 November 2011, 11:59 AM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

The link you posted mate the car is top end of 15. Have a look on ebay saw a few going a lot cheaper but didn't look into the ad because I was looking at tunning parts. You never know you might get those last minute bargins lol
Old 17 November 2011, 12:37 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats well over priced!
Old 17 November 2011, 05:03 PM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

Thanks folks. I thought the car in the link I posted was too dear, given what else is around.

Any other thoughts please?
Old 17 November 2011, 08:11 PM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

This is another one I had a quick look at last weekend. I couldn't believe the price although the bodywork does look virtually perfect:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...ge/1?logcode=p

What do you get from a Subaru dealership that justifies that price tag?
Old 17 November 2011, 08:56 PM
Stealth
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Osimabu

What do you get from a Subaru dealership that justifies that price tag?
Potentially a solid warranty, and if you push hard enough a free service or two

And with any luck a change of headlights because they are bloody 'orrible mate
Old 17 November 2011, 11:26 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

16k for a spec'd and near on 12k for and 2005 sti, pal you have more money than sense.

Both are well over priced. Keep looking but you should be getting a 05 for 8k and the spec'd for similar money. The 05's 2.0ltr reliability over the later 2.5 might be something worth considering depending on your intentions / use for the car and if you want to mod it at all.

Best of luck
Old 18 November 2011, 12:14 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

05 jdm sti or a spec c.

With a £15k budget you will get one no problem and have change for mods, and the engine & gearbox will take 450 bhp no problems.

Old 18 November 2011, 06:30 AM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

I hope I've more sense than money Stevie - that's why I'm asking on here first! I realised they were both daft prices but they're not too far from me so it's always worth having a look, just for interest. Your advice is most welcome though - I'll stick with the 2.0.

And Ditchmyster, that's very interesting. Given your advice, there may be a car in the offing now - I'll keep you posted.

Thanks to all for the replies so far.
Old 18 November 2011, 08:56 AM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

If you have 16k then I would suggest trying one of each

A later hawkeye with the 2.5
A uk sti 2005 onwards as they were revised with a wider rear running gear you can tell this as there are rear arch extension trims. Also has a revised interior and the jap style sweeping clock on start up.
A JDM sti again 2005 and onwards as these are stronger engines than our uk version, have more toys like electric folding mirrors etc but are fitted with a twin scroll turbo and have very little to no lag so almost instant power.

Although the JDM is a better spec'd car the twin scroll setup can take some getting used to, it is a PERSONAL choice, I listened to all the JDM lovers bought a Mk1 type 25 and for me I didn't really like the feel of the twin scroll, maybe it need a bit more power to feel as nimble and raw as my p1 which was running 330 bhp but I prefer the feeling of the turbo spoiling up and then that punch into the seat etc.

Would I have another JDM, yes I would but a spec c, litter than the JDM sti even more toys but I would have it up to api or similar and a 2.1 conversion and a rotated setup.

The 2005 uk sti can run similar if not the same power as the JDM so don't worry about that.

It all comes down to what you prefer the looks of, the blobeye or the hawkeye and you intended use, if your not going to do much more than a stage 1 mods and map then the hawkeye will be fine.

Take a look a litchfield imports they have a few nice ones on there at the minute including a JDM hawkeye with a few mods running 400 bhp its a grand more than your 16k but at this time of year they may do a deal.

Hope some of that helps
Old 18 November 2011, 10:02 AM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

Thanks Stevie, that's all most helpful. I'd better stress that 16K was really too much (both for the wallet and, especially, "domestic" reasons!) so I've lowered my sights a bit now.

I've a car (05 model JDM) to see tomorrow as a direct result of this topic, so I'll see how I get on with that.

Thanks again.
Old 18 November 2011, 11:06 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

do what clarkson did last night and get a 7k CL600 merc

what a monster that was LOL 350GGs too
Old 18 November 2011, 12:16 PM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Littleted
do what clarkson did last night and get a 7k CL600 merc

what a monster that was LOL 350GGs too
Haha, nice idea, but I've wanted an Impreza since they first appeared back in the 1990s and as Mrs O says, I'd better get it out of my system (what a smashing lady she is!)
Old 18 November 2011, 12:48 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Ok cool, well test drive both and see what suits you. Then make up your mind from there.

There is a 450bhp JDM sti on pistonheads at 9k I think, he is a member on here to. Worth a look