Thinking of Buying one of these Scoobies!?"

Search this Thread

Old 14 November 2011, 10:50 PM
deadonkey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of Buying one of these Scoobies!?"

hi,

Im new around here and im looking to do a bit of research.

My current car is a 2008 58 Focus ST-3, Ive only had it around 8 months but to be honest I get board very easily with cars and im now thinking that although I like driving the car.
Its got plenty of power it sounds really good but it basically just looks like a housewifes ordanary focus.

ive been on the motorway etc and seen other focus st's only to get closer to find out they are 2.0 diesels!.

And although I dont mind the costs that are associated with performance cars I feel a little annoyed that I am paying them but still only have a car that doesnt look anything special.

The obvious choice would be to trade it in and buy a Focus RS but im not keen that its not 4wd and im not keen on getting 10k worth of finance round my neck for the next 3 years.

So ,,,,, after all that ,,,, im thinking about selling the ST which i rekon is worth around 9.5k-10k and pocketing a few grand and buying a Subaru Impreza

I dont know much about them, What would be my options for a £7k car.
Im looking for a little more power than ive got now so that means the 2.0 265bhp one does it. and I would like somthing that stands out, i particually like the "ironing board" spolier look lol

WRX STI??

I didnt realise there was a 2.5L one either but that only has the same power as My ST.

Im after a bit of advice really,
What are these cars like to live with,
Whats the reliability like
what are my options
how does the model range stack up.
Old 14 November 2011, 11:02 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

I'm using my phone to post this so not gonna write loads as I imagine someone will be along to answer your questions in great detail.

If your stepping in the market without being an enthusiast then be carful because a lot of sellers try and sell a WRX as an STI. The main thing to look out for is the 6 speed gear box. The 2.5 does have power but again depends on the variant you were looking at.

Just to sum up

R, GX =naturally aspirated (n/a)
WRX = turbo
STI = turbo with even more power and the 6 speed gear box

They can be reliable as long as you service them and do the proper warm up and cool downs.

Look at service history. Avoid abused examples as they are more prone to knocking.

Fuel is always an issue with these so keep that in mind.

This has been mentioned quite a few times on here today by me and a few others that you should avoid the ones with towbars.

Last edited by NOSSY_89; 14 November 2011 at 11:04 PM.
Old 14 November 2011, 11:15 PM
the hamster
BANNED

If you dont mind going back a few years to a 2005/6 then an Sti Blobeye is the car for you. 7k would get you a lot of car, do a quick search to get an idea.

Hopefully, you wont ask about fuel economy, because theres no such thing, its fuel expense.
Old 14 November 2011, 11:29 PM
deadonkey
Scooby Regular

im not too worried about fuel costs,

My ST isnt exactly economical, the T5 engine isnt known for it
I get around 25mpg on a run and that is below 20 around town.

I dont mind paying the fuel costs but with the focus all I think is that I might as well have bought a diesel one because apart from the wheels they dont stand out.
Its black and that doesnt help, it doesnt suit it atall.

2005/2006 STi then.

Whats the scope for a remap. Im guessing the WRX will remap to STi Power and the STi will remap to 310bhp?
Without anyother mods i mean.
Old 14 November 2011, 11:38 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deadonkey
im not too worried about fuel costs,

My ST isnt exactly economical, the T5 engine isnt known for it
I get around 25mpg on a run and that is below 20 around town.

I dont mind paying the fuel costs but with the focus all I think is that I might as well have bought a diesel one because apart from the wheels they dont stand out.
Its black and that doesnt help, it doesnt suit it atall.

2005/2006 STi then.

Whats the scope for a remap. Im guessing the WRX will remap to STi Power and the STi will remap to 310bhp?
Without anyother mods i mean.
Hi there

personally i would go with 2.0L STi and with just remap you have around 320bhp,for better results changing exhaust for decatted item and you will be have around 330-350bhp,depends on turbo etc.

WRX is all right car,but if you are thinking buy one,here is small comparison,STi have Brembo,WRX have OE 4pots which are poor,STi have 6speed(stronger etc) and WRX have 5speed its not strongest gearbox out there,different suspension on STi etc.Really if you are thinking modding the car,STi is best out the box...
From WRX with std turbo you will make around 280bhp,but with STi with right mods you will make 330-350bhp.

Jura
Old 14 November 2011, 11:44 PM
the hamster
BANNED

As Jura says

WRX comes with a 5 speed box and standard EJ20 engine with TD04 turbo. This produces low 200's bhp wise but you'll need a de-cat exhaust, panel filter, walbro pump and 3 port boost solenoid + a remap to see close to 270-280bhp. The 5 speed box is usually rated on here up to 350bhp/torque.

The Sti has a stronger engine, 6 speed box which can handle a lot of torque/power, larger intercooler, Brembo brakes, stiffer suspension etc. They are fitted with a VF turbo (30 or 34/35) which can deliver up to 350 bhp comfortably. To get the best out of it, as a starter, youre mods should be a better fuel pump, panel filter, de-cat exhaust and remap. 300bhp can be achieved with just a map but doing the other bits to support a map is the better option, budget about 1k to get to 330+bhp

Heres a guide for you

http://www.scoobyworks.com/mapping_tuning.asp

http://www.andyforrestperformance.co.uk/58963.html

Last edited by the hamster; 14 November 2011 at 11:45 PM.
Old 14 November 2011, 11:49 PM
the hamster
BANNED

Ok, you'd be NUTS if you didnt buy this based on your budget. You want to stand out, THIS IS IT!

https://www.scoobynet.com/subaru-444...obeye-sti.html

It has EVERYTHING you could want, plus you'd have change from your Focus.
Old 14 November 2011, 11:54 PM
deadonkey
Scooby Regular

that is really nice!!! not keen on the wing mirrors but they are easily changed

Just what im looking for, I just need to get shot of my focus first.
Im gonna put it on ebay at the weekend. No doubt it will have sold by then tho
Old 15 November 2011, 12:09 AM
0racle
Scooby Regular

Right first thing first DO YOUR RESEARCH !!!
there are alot of jokers out there !!!!! look at vin numbers too !!!

In march i finally brought a newage impreza but spent months reaserching them (i previously had a classic),, after reading the entire internet 3 times !! i stumbled across a 2002 JDM Spec C Ra which is an incredibly rare impreza which is 320Bhp factory standard ( i think) i paid not even half STI money for her !! Bargain of the century ,,, and 3 weeks ago brought the missus a Blobeye UK STI (273Bhp) again for peanuts. there are bargain out there but you have to be patient !

Like i said dude do your research and a good one will come about.. if you need any advice etc pm me fella

Good Luck
Old 15 November 2011, 12:24 AM
happydude303
Scooby Regular

i think you should be aware that jap spec is better then uk spec as well they have better engines more power as standard and yes they are 2.0 liter but are also twin scroll turbos not that there is naything wrong with the uk spec but jap spec is the way to go and yes the 20004 /2005 blob eye woudl be a dam good car becuase if you want 400 it a good base to start with it , as there are a lot of people running 400 on these engines with out forging them
Old 15 November 2011, 12:30 AM
happydude303
Scooby Regular

Old 15 November 2011, 12:33 AM
deadonkey
Scooby Regular

What's the expensive services etc
Cambelts etc?
Also I understand that the clutch is an engine out job, based on my wheeler dealer tv research.!
Old 15 November 2011, 12:40 AM
happydude303
Scooby Regular

no clutch can be doen via gear box out and on classic its a 3 hour job any good garage shoudl only charge 150 -200 pound labour if they are charging more they a taking the **** but then ona new age i think its more like four hours at your looking around the 45 per hour mark
a camblet can be doen for around the 200-250 mark again , oil needs to be change every 3000 -4000 miles but then some only change it every 6000 spark plugs if standrad id would do every year but then i like to keep on top and the anit freeze should be done every other year , gear box i would do at least every 20000 but i change mine every year and the same with the rear diff now the book might tell you you can leave it longer but i would nto recomend it treat it well and will love your for it
Old 15 November 2011, 01:58 AM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the hamster
Ok, you'd be NUTS if you didnt buy this based on your budget. You want to stand out, THIS IS IT!

It has EVERYTHING you could want, plus you'd have change from your Focus.
That`s bl00dy nice

Originally Posted by deadonkey
What's the expensive services etc

Cambelts etc?

Also I understand that the clutch is an engine out job, based on my wheeler dealer tv research.!

The garage I use is charging me £120 to do my clutch. He said it`s pretty straight forward I saw that episode of Wheeler Dealers and Ed was talking b0llox when he quoted 5 - 600 quid labour!!

Last edited by ScoobySteve69; 15 November 2011 at 02:02 AM.
Old 15 November 2011, 11:15 AM
happydude303
Scooby Regular

agreed with the above edd was talking bollox : >
Old 15 November 2011, 05:03 PM
Travis
Scooby Regular

Also look out for one with PPP. I have a 55 plate Blob which I bought almost a year ago for 7k and it has PPP which means 301bhp.
Old 15 November 2011, 06:18 PM
scixer6r
Scooby Regular

Very nice car.
Old 15 November 2011, 08:40 PM
Truss
Scooby Regular

id say forget PPP and get it mapped yourself. personally, i dont think its worth the premium.
you can get low mileage 2004-2005 STi's for 7-8k if you look about, i got a 2004 sti with 30k miles on for 7k in the summer, so around xmas when people need cash you could get a bargain.
I had a full service (belt, engine and trans oil, air filter, the lot) for <£500.