Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WRX vs WRX+ppp test...

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2002, 08:53 PM
scoobypig
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just for the benefit of those undecided about PPPing their new WRX.
I have a certain 'testing area' on a quiet road which I always try out my cars to compare.
Standing start to a marker post...
My 01wrx with wr backbox managed 94mph.
'02 standard exactly the same whether on u/l or sul
The 02 with ppp and sul exactly 100mph!
For perspective my wifes V6SRI vectra hits 87mph.
Thats impressive improvement and the car does indeed seem a hell of a lot quicker.
Old 23 April 2002, 09:07 PM
Yorkie
Scooby Regular

Thats a fair improvement. I suspect your "test" area is just over a 1/4 mile ?
My std MY02 has covered 1950 miles and at the weekend a 205GTI 1.9 kept up with me overtaking cars between 45 - ##. I eventually pulled away as the speeds gathered, but I was hitting naughty speeds so eased off. I suspect the 205 was modded, thats why he was confident to "take me on". I eventually let him overtake as I value my car (and licence). Still, I think my engine is still tight at the moment. I reckon my MY99 would have despatched the 205 easily within legal road speeds.
Old 23 April 2002, 09:13 PM
FreeT
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Certainly interesting but many people will question its acuracy like:

Mileage on car at times, temperature at times, fuel load in car, wind speed, road surface, how many runs (was it an average of many for both or one off). Probably a few more on top of these.

Highly comendable all the same, and rather un-surprising. Although Vectra is closer than i would have guesed.

Nice one
Old 23 April 2002, 09:21 PM
scoobypig
Scooby Regular

Of course, it will be inaccurate but I made an effort to take account of
ambient temp similar, little fuel in tank, still day, dry, no incline etc.
The real difference seems to be 5-6K rpm it just flies.
The unmodded one bogged down slightly in 4th but now pulls hard and keeps pulling above 100.
As for the vectra, it is surprisingly fast. It used to be mine from new, I still like it but feels as though the suspension is collapsing after the scoob...
Old 23 April 2002, 09:25 PM
FreeT
Scooby Regular

Question

Ypu say collapsing - is that in corners you feel it or on flats?

I accept your best endevours in the test, i didn't mean to diss you - and like i say it is interesting results. But and theres always a but - was it more than one run for each? as we all know that starts can vary considerably and make a difference over these 1/4m's.

Old 23 April 2002, 10:11 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Interesting tale about the Pug, Yorkie. A Porsche 968 Club Sport had a go with me at the weekend (MY02 5 door). He was barely pulling away from about 40, but once we got to some rather higher speeds, I managed to haul him back a bit (surprised by this).

I suspect that he'd started to pull away initially because he was leading, and he jumped the gun on me. Gotta say though, his braking was decent, but he was all over the place on the corners. The Scoob certainly rattled him a fair bit....

Looked up the 0-60 times in Autocar when I got back (as you do!), and noted that the Porsche is actually a bit slower. He only lives down the road, so I might have another go in a while ;0) ......
Old 24 April 2002, 08:21 PM
Yorkie
Scooby Regular

Harry_boy, don't know how many miles you've done, but my engine still feels tight at 1980 miles, especially uphill from 30-40 in third. I am hoping it will loosen in time, my MY99 did after about 3-4000 miles and just kept getting better and better Can't help but feel a bit disappointed though after having kidney wrenching acceleration in 2nd and 3rd for 2 years Still, plus side is the car is superb to drive and much more comfortable (especially with air con).

Yorkie
Old 24 April 2002, 10:21 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Hi Mate - only done about 1,700 so it's still a bit tight. But getting better and more responsive by the day!

You're right about the lack of boost at low revs - which really seems to manifest itself in third at about 40-ish.

My wife's suggested that my next birthday present might just be a PPP. What I want to know is, why do I have to wait 5 months? Now I see why the Queen has two birthdays.....