Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ebay Trader - "Rusk-muncher" - AVOID !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 13 July 2011, 07:30 PM
madmerlin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ebay Trader - "Rusk-muncher" - AVOID !!!!

I bought my latest STi from this con-man.. Turns out the engine is shot! - see my other threads....

Anyway, only had the car four weeks, have tried to call him several times a day, if i withold my number he doesnt answer, if i use my own number he doesnt answer, if i use someone elses phone as soon as he realises its me he hangs up...

AVOID this ebay trader at all costs, ive been round to see him in person, but he wasnt in, or at least wasnt answering his door, its a 100 mile round trip so not somewhere i can just pop round on the off chance.

His ebay name is "Rusk-muncher"

One of his cars for sale
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ALFA-ROMEO-GTV...item1e647440f5

do yourself a favour and stay away from the lowlife piece if s**t.
Old 13 July 2011, 07:34 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

how come you havent negged him?
Old 13 July 2011, 07:38 PM
madmerlin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamo
how come you havent negged him?
um.. negged him
Old 13 July 2011, 07:40 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

ok sorry, how come you have not left him a negative feedback on ebay?
Old 13 July 2011, 07:44 PM
madmerlin
Scooby Regular

ok sorry, how come you have not left him a negative feedback on ebay?
Ah right, was watching it, went round and made him an offer, when he accepted the car was removed from the auction. So didnt get the chance im afraid..
Old 13 July 2011, 07:46 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

press buy it now on all his other auctions so that he has to contact you. and then leave him a negative for each one.
Old 13 July 2011, 07:48 PM
madmerlin
Scooby Regular

press buy it now on all his other auctions so that he has to contact you. and then leave him a negative for each one.
Haha nice one, not thought of that, hum i wonder if i still have got my missis old login details of her old ebay account....
Old 13 July 2011, 08:23 PM
Deano1565
Scooby Regular

I LIKE!!
Old 13 July 2011, 09:35 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Madmerlin

Just to clarify..... you went to see the car, had a look at it, test drove it then made him an offer for the car you looked at, he accepted and you drove it away ?

Any links to your other threads ?

Cheers

Shaun
Old 13 July 2011, 09:49 PM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Midlife......
Madmerlin

Just to clarify..... you went to see the car, had a look at it, test drove it then made him an offer for the car you looked at, he accepted and you drove it away ?

Cheers

Shaun
If that is indeed the case then basically it is a private sale and 'buyer beware' however it looks like his status as a trader or individual is not clear. That could be crucial in resolving things.
Old 13 July 2011, 09:51 PM
madmerlin
Scooby Regular

Madmerlin

Cheers

Shaun

Shaun

Long story short m8, saw a scoob on ebay, went to look @ it, was shown receipts for a recon engine 3000k ago, made an offer bought the car.
3 weeks l8r had to take it to a scooby garage as the engine was getting v hot, head gaskets are shot, (going in sat 2 find out what else is shot)... phoned garage that installed engine, didnt like their attitude, googled them, [sighed] contacted dealer who sold me the car.. and the rest is history..

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...ex-beware.html

Cheers.
Dave.

Last edited by madmerlin; 13 July 2011 at 09:54 PM.
Old 13 July 2011, 10:17 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Madmerlin

Is it that you assumed that you were buying from a dealer and there was an implied warranty on the car ?

Shaun
Old 14 July 2011, 05:12 AM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Madmerlin

Is it that you assumed that you were buying from a dealer and there was an implied warranty on the car ?

Shaun
This is where I was heading as well Shaun.

Dave, You're a switched on guy from what I've read so I'm sure you will have considered your options and hope I don't come across as patronising. It would seem to me if he's a trader you might be in the timeline to reject the car which is judged as a 'reasonable amount of time (3-4 weeks) Of course that depends on his 'status' ? I know trading standards were clamping down on people who were obviously traders but trying to circumnavigate the rules so to avoid being caught up in such claims.

If you are outside of the rejection period I'm guess you are still entitled to some form of compensation. It is a grey area however and I think it depends pretty much on the small claims court (if it gets that far) I note you're no stranger to that so no point harping on about it Although the basics from what I understand are that the car must be fit for purpose and in reasonable condition for age etc. This applies for the first 6 months in which if a fault occurs the onus is on the dealer to prove it was not present at the point of sale. After 6 months it's yours to prove.

With regards to the reconditioned engine as far as I'm aware the contract and warranty (which I appreciate is useless given the companies modus operandi) is between the dealer and them. So in that instance he can't fob you off to them. If of course he actually starts to make contact.

Ultimately reading between the lines of the law, because as you know you kind of have to do that sadly, it would seem that you are in a position to ask for at least a repair, or assistance to do so. If you will ever get that is anyones guess sadly I do hope you get something sorted mate.

Last edited by Pink_Floyd; 14 July 2011 at 05:13 AM.
Old 14 July 2011, 09:51 AM
madmerlin
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all your replies chaps..
To answer your questions, I assumed there was a warranty (first mistake) as the gentleman was a dealer, now I use the wording “Dealer” in the loosest possible terms (as do I use the wording Gentleman), he is in fact selling from home, so im not actually sure if he is a registered business. I have been all over the paperwork and there is no mention of either a warranty, or such things as a valid vat no. company no. etc.. I will try trading standards today, but to be honest given the week ive had, or rather the kicking ive had in the small claims court this week, I don’t particularly want to go down that route again.. Coupled with the fact that it was trading standards (along with the association of small business’s) that were the plonkers that told me I would win my case this week… Hum.. Thanks for that.
I think what this all boils down to is a massive mistake on my behalf to A. to take someone on first impressions and believe they are a “Nice Guy” when clearly they are not, and B. to not get any kind of written statement stating warranty periods, etc. Although given my recent history the warranty I have got for the engine isn’t worth the paper its written on.
My main concern at the time was weather it had its cambelt changed, there was no mention of it in the paperwork, the chap phoned me up that night and assured me he had found a sticker on the air box stating the mileage at which it was changed, so when I collected the car I was happy, have since found out that the sticker has been removed from a different car, and been stuck back down on to mine.

So the long and short of it is I have decided to take this on the chin, my advise to anybody going out to buy a car is pay a good mechanic to go with you and crawl over the car for however long it takes, In hindsight I would have happily paid a mechanic a hundred quid to come with me. I obviously paid for an AA check, which came up crystal clean, but this only shows up discrepancies with mileages, eng numbers etc. and lastly if just one single thing doesn’t seem right, WALK AWAY!

Lastly Thanks again guys for all your kind words regarding this, its just a shame everyone in this world aren’t as decent as you guys…
Old 14 July 2011, 09:57 AM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear that it's turning out like this for you. Perhaps the eBay feedback thing would offer some satisfaction at least assuming you can set up a second account or something