Sponsored by:

Tracker confusion

Search this Thread

Old 24 June 2011, 11:22 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts
Question Tracker confusion

I'm abit confussed with trackers, you get one fitted. Your car gets stolen, then if the poice pick up a signal, they fit a larger Aerial to there car and go look for it.

But then i thought, can't they just work like sat nav's? Car gets stolen, satellites pick up signal pinpoint the localtion of your car and notify police?

I've seen some on gay bay that seem to do just that. Anyone shed any light on this?
Old 24 June 2011, 11:48 AM
murraymaddog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right.....its a long one but stick with it.......Most police area cars/pursuit cars (bmw's, Audis etc ) have tracker fitted. They have 4 ariels on the roof...hard fitted unless covert. When you report the car as stolen and activate tracker, it gives out a code...if the police car is near enough...roughly 1/2-3/4 of a mile away from the stolen car it pings up on the in car computer with a reply code...IE the stolen cars tracker code...they then contact a police control room that tells them what car the code belongs to.....IE the reply code of 9876 comes back to a blue scoob sti reg ABC123 etc etc. Also on the in car computer is a direction arrow and a hot-cold gauge...the plods then circle the area where the activation was picked up to see if they get hotter or colder, and roughly which direction to go until they find the stolen car.

Depending on what tracker package you go for, as you mentioned, im sure you can get a sat nav style......but i think GPS struggles to work in underground car parks, backs of lorries etc

Trackers work and are well worth getting
Old 24 June 2011, 11:57 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by murraymaddog
Right.....its a long one but stick with it.......Most police area cars/pursuit cars (bmw's, Audis etc ) have tracker fitted. They have 4 ariels on the roof...hard fitted unless covert. When you report the car as stolen and activate tracker, it gives out a code...if the police car is near enough...roughly 1/2-3/4 of a mile away from the stolen car it pings up on the in car computer with a reply code...IE the stolen cars tracker code...they then contact a police control room that tells them what car the code belongs to.....IE the reply code of 9876 comes back to a blue scoob sti reg ABC123 etc etc. Also on the in car computer is a direction arrow and a hot-cold gauge...the plods then circle the area where the activation was picked up to see if they get hotter or colder, and roughly which direction to go until they find the stolen car.

Depending on what tracker package you go for, as you mentioned, im sure you can get a sat nav style......but i think GPS struggles to work in underground car parks, backs of lorries etc

Trackers work and are well worth getting
Ok cheers, i get how they work i watch road wars

But the latter bit makes sense. But the ones on gaybay use sim cards, you phone them, and this gives you the location. Which to me sounds like the daddy of ideas.
Old 24 June 2011, 01:06 PM
GordonC
Scooby Regular

Hi,

The difference is the Tracker Networks unit gives out an RF pulse so the police can direction find onto it as described above; the latter uses GPS over GSM/GPRS. Benefit of RF being that it will pentrate walls etc even if hidden away.

I'd avoid a cheap GPS/GSM device as some are just too unreliable and/or ineffective and can be blocked by any savvy tinker with a £20 jammer off the very same she-bay. There are some that use RF and GPRS, which I personally use, but that just because I get it free by working in tracking!

Any Thatcham Cat5 should do the trick - approved list is here: http://www.thatcham.org/security/pdf...AfterTheft.pdf
Old 24 June 2011, 01:12 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They can all be blocked with a cheap device though.
Old 24 June 2011, 02:27 PM
GordonC
Scooby Regular

Not necessarily. GPS, yes. But shouldn't be so easy to use reliable electronic countermeasures on RF unless your man knows the band of they have some serious kit.

Also, several devices can be commanded to immobilise the vehice remotely via GSM so even if a GPS jammer is in use they can't continue to move the car (and you'll get GPS again when they leg it). Guess it depends on how much you want to spend.
Old 25 June 2011, 01:19 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

I've got alot on the car already, got one more security mod going on, was just thinking of abit extra, don't want to pay stupid money if the theif wants it that much he can have it lol