Sponsored by:

Simtek, Why So Slow To Return?

Search this Thread

Old 23 June 2011, 11:30 AM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simtek, Why So Slow To Return?

I don't know if it is an isolated problem but has anyone else had what they would consider an unreasonable delay when returning an ECU back to Simtek for a firmware change / update?

I bought the unit second hand it having been mapped by Dave Rowe previously, which meant it would need a firmware revision and any whilst there any firmware updates could be done.

I sent my unit back to a person who works there (who I will not name as I don't want this to become the usual SN hanging) and I know that he received it and it was signed for on the 7th of June.

Only after I contacted Bob Rawle on the 15th and he spoke to this indidvidual from Simtek did anything happen with regards to anything being done to the ECU, and the individual from Simtek told Bob it would be despatched by the end of last week.

I tried contacting this person since Tuesday trying to find out if the unit had been despatched and if so could I have the carrier name and tracking number or has the unit been despatched yet. Obviously I need to get the car booked in with Bob for the fitment and mapping to be done, but I am in a catch 22 position.

This person's phone calls all go to an answerphone service and despite having left messages nothing seems to happen, I included all my contact details when the unit was returned (mobile, works mobile, email etc) and as yet no contact whatsoever.

I don't think that a 2 week turnaround is being unreasonable, do you?

Last edited by Cannon Fodder; 24 June 2011 at 12:08 PM.
Old 23 June 2011, 11:32 AM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Have you tried to contact his business partner?
Old 23 June 2011, 11:38 AM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by banny sti
Have you tried to contact his business partner?
Not as yet, when Bob told me it had been despatched last week I thought it was all sorted.

I take it you know who I am talking about then?
Old 23 June 2011, 11:42 AM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If they know it's coming in it should be done and dispatched ASAP. Pretty major hold up not having an ECU lol. Do you know why they have to do the firmware change their end with ECU in hand ? why isn't this something that's rolled out via the simtek dealer network and using their software/hardware ? I want mine done but I can't be carless for 2+ weeks !
Old 23 June 2011, 11:42 AM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder
Not as yet, when Bob told me it had been despatched last week I thought it was all sorted.

I take it you know who I am talking about then?
Yes, he does have a habit of disappearing
Old 23 June 2011, 12:00 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53WRX
If they know it's coming in it should be done and dispatched ASAP. Pretty major hold up not having an ECU lol. Do you know why they have to do the firmware change their end with ECU in hand ? why isn't this something that's rolled out via the simtek dealer network and using their software/hardware ? I want mine done but I can't be carless for 2+ weeks !
The main reason for mine to be returned was due to the fact that Dave Rowe apparently uses a different method for the fuel tables than every other Simtek mapper.

I don't think it is cheating as such it's just not standard, and so my unit needed to be returned for the firmware to be changed back to standard.

Plus I hope the firmware revisions and changes have been carried out as well, you never know knock correction might come around one day...

Originally Posted by banny sti
Yes, he does have a habit of disappearing
I think I could find the invisible man in a dark room with me wearing a blind fold easier than it is to speak to ****** *****.
Old 23 June 2011, 12:13 PM
Scooby Senior

One day mine runs fine but having 6speed and other bits done so wondering about firmware myself, if it's even worth the ballache of sending off ?
Old 23 June 2011, 12:15 PM
Anger
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Ive sent two back with faults and they have both returned in a couple of days at the most
Old 23 June 2011, 12:15 PM
birchy2010
Scooby Regular

I thought about this while putting my setup together, havent bother this far and sounds like i'm glad i didnt. Hope you get it sorted asap.
Old 23 June 2011, 12:20 PM
mervil
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine was returned on my behalf of Engine Tuner and they received it back a couple of days later with the repair done
Old 23 June 2011, 12:25 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

One day mine runs fine but having 6speed and other bits done so wondering about firmware myself, if it's even worth the ballache of sending off ?
I suppose the old adage 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' applies.

Originally Posted by Anger
Ive sent two back with faults and they have both returned in a couple of days at the most
That is what I find such a problem, if my car were off the road waiting for the Simtek to be returned then I really would be spitting feathers.

Originally Posted by birchy2010
I thought about this while putting my setup together, havent bother this far and sounds like i'm glad i didnt. Hope you get it sorted asap.
Thanks, if it weren't for the fuel table change then I would probably would not have bothered.
Old 23 June 2011, 12:32 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mervil
Mine was returned on my behalf of Engine Tuner and they received it back a couple of days later with the repair done
That is what I thought would be the case Merv, it might just be that I am the exception to the rule.
Old 23 June 2011, 02:43 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

when i had mine mapped by andy forrest mine needed to be sent back for ecu updates and to allow antilag and launch but he did say it could take a while hence why i have no bothered yet as dont want to be carless despite it biing a second car
as far as i understand the man doing it is abroad a lot mapping hence delays
martin

Last edited by p1doc; 23 June 2011 at 02:44 PM.
Old 23 June 2011, 02:49 PM
Scooby Senior

Still don't understand why the ECU has to be physically sent back to Simtek, if the Simtek dealers are worth their salt they should be able to implement this without the inconvenience (and it is an inconvenience) to the customer ?
Old 23 June 2011, 04:39 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by p1doc
when i had mine mapped by andy forrest mine needed to be sent back for ecu updates and to allow antilag and launch but he did say it could take a while hence why i have no bothered yet as dont want to be carless despite it biing a second car
as far as i understand the man doing it is abroad a lot mapping hence delays
martin
I don't blame you with hindsight, the guy who is flashing the firmware is not Steve Simpson and he is definitely was or is still in the country when Bob spoke to him.

Still don't understand why the ECU has to be physically sent back to Simtek, if the Simtek dealers are worth their salt they should be able to implement this without the inconvenience (and it is an inconvenience) to the customer ?
I can't understand myself either but it is probably a case of the agents not having the ability to flash the unit, because if you can write to the board then you can also read from it as well.
Old 23 June 2011, 04:47 PM
P1Drifter
Scooby Regular

I'v sent mine back to Alkatek (spelling?) for various upgrades and tweaks and its always been back very quickly, also spoke to Andrew many times on the phone and never had a problem, maybe there are exceptional circumstances this time ?
Old 23 June 2011, 04:47 PM
wrx287
Scooby Regular

Wouldnt it just have been easier to get Dave Rowe to fit and map it?
Old 23 June 2011, 05:10 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P1Drifter
I'v sent mine back to Alkatek (spelling?) for various upgrades and tweaks and its always been back very quickly, also spoke to Andrew many times on the phone and never had a problem, maybe there are exceptional circumstances this time ?
I can accept that there might be reasons as to the delay, but why not just let me know - I woudln't mind and would know what is going on.

As it stands at the moment the last communication I have through Bob Rawle is that it was being despatched at the end of last week; so if that is the case then it looks like it has gone missing with the carrier.

But as I can't even get it touch with the person involved then what am I to think? If it has been despatched then it looks like the sender will have to claim for a missing item and I am down one Simtek unit or is it still sitting on a desk somewhere?

Originally Posted by wrx287
Wouldnt it just have been easier to get Dave Rowe to fit and map it?
No Calvin, because Bob has mapped every other Impreza I have owned including this one - it is currently on the running in map that Bob installed recently. I would rather stick with Bob as he has given me a very good service, free advice and helped me a lot with the engine build.

I am not knocking Dave Rowe as I don't even know him or have any experiece of him but I would rather stick with Bob as I have a good relationship with him.
Old 23 June 2011, 06:03 PM
steve rally
Scooby Regular

YHPM.

Steve S.
Old 23 June 2011, 06:07 PM
Scooby Senior

Hi Steve, any chance you could explain why the ECU has to be physically sent back to you or can the firmware be done in situ either by you via the dongle or via an.other Simtek mapper. Cheers
Old 23 June 2011, 06:43 PM
scuuby
Scooby Regular

about a year and a half ago i decicded to get a simtek fitted to mine. after having no ends of problems with it they suggested it being sent back with about a max of 4 day turn around. 2 weeks later they finally got it back ! turned out that there was a snapped drill in the board! would have thought it would have been back alot quicker due to the fault!!
Old 23 June 2011, 07:52 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by steve rally
YHPM.

Steve S.
Many thanks, PM replied.
Old 23 June 2011, 08:28 PM
steve rally
Scooby Regular

Firmware upgrades/alterations can only be done by Alcatek (the manufacturer).I am investigating as to why the OP's ECU was sent back as we would normally just e-mail a software patch to allow mapping by a dealer other than the original supplying dealer.Dave Rowe does have a version which allows the use of a Motec PLM wide band, but this should not preclude Bob from accessing the ECU with the correct software.

Any delay is not acceptable; however it should be remembered that we always attempt to repair out of warranty ECUs without charge and sometimes this can be more time consuming than anticipated.Occasionally it would be easier to just say that the board is unserviceable and charge for a new unit but we try to avoid this.
Old 23 June 2011, 08:33 PM
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by steve rally
Firmware upgrades/alterations can only be done by Alcatek (the manufacturer).I am investigating as to why the OP's ECU was sent back as we would normally just e-mail a software patch to allow mapping by a dealer other than the original supplying dealer.Dave Rowe does have a version which allows the use of a Motec PLM wide band, but this should not preclude Bob from accessing the ECU with the correct software.

Any delay is not acceptable; however it should be remembered that we always attempt to repair out of warranty ECUs without charge and sometimes this can be more time consuming than anticipated.Occasionally it would be easier to just say that the board is unserviceable and charge for a new unit but we try to avoid this.
Cheers Steve I guess they are precious about the IP rights ? wasn't knocking Simtek, just didn't understand the process or the reasoning behind it. I may well not bother as mine runs fine as it is without the new firmware
Old 23 June 2011, 09:19 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

you bought it secondhand like i did , just thank your lucky stars it didnt turn out to be nicked like mine was . i returned it to its rightfull owner , via a dealer , and only got a thank you from the dealer
Old 23 June 2011, 10:55 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cheers Steve I guess they are precious about the IP rights ? wasn't knocking Simtek, just didn't understand the process or the reasoning behind it. I may well not bother as mine runs fine as it is without the new firmware
IP is covered even if not sent back as dealer is sent software which basically only allows the dealer to load on of their own map over the current map and you cannt read the previous map. Did one like that this afternoon. However Bob may want the eco coded to him to ensure no one can access it in future without his permission.

Plus firmware upgrade can only be added at base.

Simon
Old 23 June 2011, 11:25 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

We've only had a very small percentage of Simteks with any problems, even from the early days and they've always been attended to quickly and with no bother or cost.
Old 24 June 2011, 12:12 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery
We've only had a very small percentage of Simteks with any problems, even from the early days and they've always been attended to quickly and with no bother or cost.
That is how I understood it worked; that there is a fast turnaround on ECU's sent back in, it would appear that my problem is the exception to the rule.
Old 24 June 2011, 04:51 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Just a quick post to thank Steve Simpson for all his help in sorting out my problem.

It is very nice to see that Simtek customer care is first rate and I can again only thank Steve for going out of his way to sort the issue out.
Old 25 June 2011, 12:54 PM
Turbovin
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

What's the status on the knock control update?