Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2001, 03:21 PM
SCOSaltire
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Hi all

Hi chrisp

I am looking at getting either a new WRX, or a new Elise.

What do u all think? Give me your thoughts.

Cheers
Old 18 March 2001, 04:16 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

It depends on what you want.

If you want to carry anything more than two people and a sports bag on odd sunny day then get the elise.

The Impreza will allow you to carry 4 people and luggage in reasonable comfort in all wheathers.

Also by the time you add a hard top etc etc you are looking at 26K for the elise. and nearly a years wait.

26K will get you a WRX and 4K's worth of mods to sharpen the car up a little.
If you decide to get the WRX on import it'll cost you 17K, which leaves you 9K

The financials and practicalities say get a WRX, the one bright sunny day we have you'll want the elise.

A few people here have gone from Elise to Subaru and a few the other way.

If you have no need ever for practicality and can wait 10-12 months then go for the elise. On a damp, dark drizzly November morning you'll wish you had the WRX

Old 18 March 2001, 07:19 PM
GM
Scooby Regular

I was given a good run in an Elise yesterday and I was very impressed (thanks Brian) - I'd really like one. But....

As Neil says, it all depends on how practical you need a car to be. For me, an Elise is just a non-starter because of the lack of space. I do need to carry fairly bulky things which just wouldn't fit in an Elise. So I'll stick with my Scooby (well, at least until Camelot get the finger out and pick the right numbers for a change )

Luggage space may not be an issue for you in which case the decision becomes a bit more difficult. I do think that the Elise looks a bit overpriced. Sure, it is a super little package but I'm not convinced that it's great value for money. If I was seriously looking at one (which would be as a 2nd car - OK, a toy!) I think I'd probably look at Caterham/Westfield first. If you're looking at a car for everyday use that probably isn't an option though (unless you like being cold and wet in the winter ).

G
Old 18 March 2001, 07:45 PM
SCOSaltire
Scooby Regular

Usually I dont carry much more than myself and a small bag.

And the times when I go places with my m8s when i use my car - someone else could have driven.

I do sometimes meet up with people to go cycling - but supposidly the elise can use a luggage rack to carry a bike.

Financially - i see the Elise winning - unless I go through the importing route, which does not appeal to me.

On the positive side.. I am lucky that I have this opportunity to choose - so either way I am going to win.

1 hour its the Elise, the next the Scooby.

What am i like!

I agree - if I were to get a toy car.. it would be something like a Caterham... something extreme.

I think that all cars are too expensive.

26k is halfway towards a flat - and u pay that over 25 years!

Insurance is high for the wrx... 1000 quid a year.

The elise is 700.

I was very impressed with the wrx when i test drove it.

I floored it in 1st and 2nd... and exclaimed at the acceleration.

any acceleration above 80 mph does not interest me... I never go that fast.

What matters most is having a car that will enrich my driving experience... allowing me to experience things on the road that I would otherwise never know about... whilst not affecting my ability to do other things in life.

I do play golf.. but the passenger seat could take the clubs.

The new elise is meant to be better in the wet than the old one - still usable.

I live in Scotland.. at the start of the highlands... so snow in winter is definate.

Old 18 March 2001, 08:24 PM
Ross Taylor
Scooby Regular

I can relate to this...

I used to have a Lotus Elan SE Turbo - Fun with 165bhp, but really a little underpowered for the cars weight...

Being one of the "Scottish Elisers", I spent a lot of time around Elise's, and had the opportunity to enjoy many pax laps - Even drive the cars a bit...They are an absolute blast! I wanted one for so long, and sold the Elan with the intention of buying one...Alas, common sense kicked in...It has to be said that the majority of Elise owners have access to at least one other car...And that really is essential...Lotus' need a fair amount of upkeep , and dealer servicing tends to be on the pricey side...Aside from this , the Elises tendency to fall to bits is something to bear in mind...drivers windows falling into the door, throttle pedal assembley falling to bits, boot release cable snapping , jamming the boot shut...etc etc...Not what you'd expect from a 26k car! (We won't even mention the cooling problems and the blown head gaskets!)

I don't mean to sound too negative...But if I were buying an Elise, I'd look at the 2nd hand option...15k or less, will pick up a nice R plater - With the ally brakes which are better than the later cars iron ones...Usually have some nice bits too like an aftermarket exhaust and airfilter...Oh, and the *essential* S02's...o/e P Zeros , Elises and wet roads are a recipe for disaster!!!!

The way the Elise market is at the moment prices could drop a bit more, so that's maybe worth keeping an eye on....As is the uncertainty surrounding the future of Lotus as a company!

Anyway that's my tuppence worth!

Ross - Who'll probably be flamed for saying the above!

Old 18 March 2001, 08:25 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi,

I see you have made it over from the EVO site .

I think its been summed up well and I cant really add to it. It comes down to personally perference. I would like an Elise to compliment the scooby (best of both worlds). Two major factors, money and I cant get in one and if I could I couldnt get out .

Tough decision and I would think about driving them again before parting with 26K. Maybe you could get an old impreza while you are waiting for the elise .

cheers

chrisp
Old 18 March 2001, 10:52 PM
SCOSaltire
Scooby Regular

what are the two worlds that you would like to satisfy?

im looking at maybe getting the PPP for the wrx.

Trending Topics

Old 19 March 2001, 09:01 AM
jon hill
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

and another thing...

Sadly from experience, I can point out that Elises don't crash well. A low speed 20 mph slide into a solid object - crack the front clam shell and dent the ali "tub" and its a write-off. Cant repair the chasis or the fibre glass front.

Stunning.
Old 19 March 2001, 10:55 AM
wall
Scooby Regular

well well well, what has been said so far about the Elise is very true......BUT.....it's very true for pre 1999 standard cars. Reality is that post 1999 Lotus made a number of changes solving most reliability problems (I've done 5000miles so far in my 2000 111S, and a friend of mine 10000miles in his 1999 standard, and neither has had anything other than 5000m oil changes/check-ups for £.70 or so. That included a few track days too).
Both cars have been completely leak free, as long as you wind the windows up before you close the door, to ensure a good seal. With the hardtop on the car is really fine all-year round, yust put S02s instead of the Pirellis, and I'd avoid very icy-snowy days.
Don't know about crashes, as we have not had any, but by all reports the alu tub is race-car-strong and protects you better than normal cars. It is hard to repair however, so I guess a write off is a possibility, but then I don't know who buys cars based on what happens if they write them off. Bad karma....
If you have no kids, don't mind travelling light, and like the race-car rawness and feel then the Elise is great, and actually costs far less in service and petrol compared to the Scoob. Practical too: when I purchased it I thought I'd be using my bmw330 company car a lot....well, 6 month later my wife has sold her Golf and is now using the 330 as her car, as I basically only drove the Liz anyway.
Make sure you can afford a post-1999 car for the reasons I mentioned, and get a 111S or Sport160 if you want STI-type accelleration.

wall (gone from STI-V to 111S....only miss the STI when I go to the mountains in winter or on relly wet days)

[This message has been edited by wall (edited 19 March 2001).]
Old 19 March 2001, 12:32 PM
JKJ
Scooby Newbie

I own a Caterham 7, and not to long ago looked at replacing it with an Elise. It took about 5 mins to decide not to. The Elise in my opinion was more like a kit car the the 7. For £20,000+ you get, flimsy build quality, which seems to get worse with age, a remote cable gear change, and worse of all asthmatic and under powered, in standard form, K series engines. Its only saving grace was that it handled brilliantly, Caterhams will still go up the inside of you on corners. I never thought I would come across a car that had a worse 'boot' than the 7 but the Elise has it. Needless to say the 7 is still in the garage. If you want a toy for the weekend there is no better, regardless of engine size.
Old 26 March 2001, 09:28 AM
SCOSaltire
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi all,

Well - i did it...
I bought myself a car at the weekend...

A V reg Scooby - 2000 turbo.
20000 miles on the clock, 1 owner.

Its got a 'performance' back box - was fitted when delivered new.

also has quick shift, and some instruments on the top of the centre console (NSEW - not sure whats its used for).

I am gonna run the car for a while - but with the money that i have saved, i might go for a PPP soon... or save up for an elise or caterham 7.

thanks for all your views - quite a discussion we had.

I am very happy with my car - cant wait until i pick it up on sunday... i miss the burble already!