Sponsored by:

HELP! Need to break into a car!

Search this Thread

Old 23 March 2001, 04:57 PM
DavidG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

No I'm not a thief! While I was out yesterday evening someone parked their broken down car in my off-street spot (i.e. my front garden) saying they're going to come and collect it. They haven't. Last night I had to park the Scooby on the street. This makes me <B>so angry</B>!

The police and council sympathised but said there was nothing they can do as it's on private property. The car is foreign-registered so the owner can't be traced. The police told me that if I could get into it without damaging it I could move it, but I couldn't get in. If it's still there this evening (it's there right now ) I'm going to do whatever's necessary to get in it and move it.

So what's the best way, doing as little damage as possible? If necessary I'm going to break a window but I want to avoid that if necessary because that's the kind of guy I am. I know it's possible as the AA did it for me a while back when I locked my keys in my previous car, though they may have had a special tool (huh huh, I said "special tool", heh m heh!)

The car is a crappy little French thing about 10 yrs old, no alarm.

If you think it's irresponsible to post the reply here, please e-mail me offline at david@geen2.demon.co.uk
Old 23 March 2001, 05:24 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

David
You have mail!

Paul
Old 23 March 2001, 05:24 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

regardless of how nice you are I'd still smash the window and then let off handbrake and move it, preferable park it on pavement or in middle of road, then call council/police and say there is a car causing an obstruction. Should sort it out.
Old 23 March 2001, 05:45 PM
GEJL
Scooby Regular

Jack up the back (assuming the handbrake is on and it's not in gear if front-wheel drive) on a trolley jack and push it!
Old 23 March 2001, 06:11 PM
DavidG
Scooby Regular

Thanks folks, and to those who have replied offline - keep 'em coming!

Gejl - how do I move the car if the back is jacked up?

Cheers,

David (Mr Angry)
Old 23 March 2001, 06:21 PM
barge
Scooby Regular

Trolly jack, tow rope, strong mates.

Either smash the window with the jack handle or jack up the back of the car up so both rear wheels are off the ground [assuming the hand brake is on the rear wheels] and gently push it out of the way, you may need an extra set of hands to steady it as you move it, especialy if you need to turn it, if its front wheel drive & in gear then you need 2 jacks.

If no Trolly jack, use a tow rope to a heavyish strong car, you may not want to use a scooby here and just pull it agains its hand brake assuming its not in gear.

Other wise get a couple of strong mates to lift the rear wheels off the ground and you get the same results.

Once in the street it can be delt with as a dumped car.

Good luck.
Edit as I forgot to say.
Dont vandalise it or smash it up or torch it, Plod would then make an example of you and you would end up with life imprisonment, & the owner knows where you live.

[This message has been edited by barge (edited 23 March 2001).]
Old 23 March 2001, 06:27 PM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

One way would be to get a friend or two and bounce the car off. Especially having soft french suspension, it should be dead easy. Once it starts bouncing, its amazing how quickly it will move. Good luck & how b***** annoying mate.

Gastro

Trending Topics

Old 23 March 2001, 07:04 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Cool

David,

go to Halfords, buy a wheel clamp AND CLAMP THE CAR!!!

When they eventually come back, charge 'em fifty quid a day parking, plus the cost of the clamp.

Of course you could treat it as unsolicited post, and after so many weeks claim it as your own

mb
Old 23 March 2001, 08:47 PM
DavidG
Scooby Regular

8:45 and it's still there! Who do these ******* think they are?

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm reluctant to do any damage because, as Barge says, they know where I live...

I'm going to try again to get in via the coathanger route (no success yesterday but I'm gonna be less squeamish this time). If I can't do it then it gets towed tomorrow.
Old 23 March 2001, 08:55 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Coathanger will do the trick. Bend it down the rubber of the window and pop the lock up - allegedly

Also try using different keys in the lock - i.e. car keys. It is amazing which keys fit the older cars.

I dont need to mail you as none of this is new.
Old 23 March 2001, 08:59 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Bounce it with a mate into a hazardous position in the road & get a neighbour to report it as an obstruction - just amazing how fast it will be towed away

Done this before - 30 mins
Old 23 March 2001, 09:31 PM
brumster
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I vote for the tow rope and semi-powerful car (know anyone with a Land Rover?). Just drag the fecking thing out the way.

All other posts are relevant, though, so it's just a choice. If you can muster 5 or 6 strong lads you can probably lift it / bounce it out the way (presuming "french crap thingy" is something pretty small and light like an old Renault 4 or something).

Laters dude,
Dan
Old 23 March 2001, 09:45 PM
Steve Williams
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Dream Weaver:
<B>
Also try using different keys in the lock - i.e. car keys. It is amazing which keys fit the older cars.[/quote]

Similar thing happened to me a couple of years ago, it was a Ford Sierra that was blocking me, got in with a small penknife, just put it 'gently' in the lock (only about 1/4 inch in) and turned it, lock opened no problem......... That was cheap English not cheap French, but it may work.
Old 23 March 2001, 09:54 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

If you don't live to far you could always use my brick.
Old 23 March 2001, 10:05 PM
Steve Williams
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by bob:
<B>If you don't live to far you could always use my brick.[/quote]

So you hiring out your brick now eh

Old 24 March 2001, 12:16 AM
tokyo_steve
Scooby Regular

1: If you're doing the coat hanger thing REMOVE the rubber strip. It will probably go back on afterwards. Makes it much easier.

2: Go to the local scrappy and ask to borrow their spare key collection. They'll probably charge you...

3: ****roens have the handbrake on the front wheels. At least BXs do, don't know about the rest.

4: Let all 4 tyres down, charge for the use of your pump when he returns.

Steve
Old 24 March 2001, 12:29 PM
DavidG
Scooby Regular

Well there have been developments but I think I'll wait until it's finished then report back. The legal position is, ah, hazy right now. No damage though.

Thanks to everyone.

Puff - who did you report it to? The police or the council? Council are all asleep now until Monday...
Old 24 March 2001, 01:12 PM
DavidG
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Well, we got in with a coat hanger without doing any damage (I won't post details but mail me if you're interested), got it onto the street and eventually the police took it away.

One complication when moving it was the steering lock.

The b@stards still haven't come back for it .
Old 25 March 2001, 07:26 PM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

When they come back for it, just deny all knowledge "Car? what car? don't know what you are talking about mate."

get them really worried hehehe
Old 25 March 2001, 11:33 PM
longun
Scooby Regular

Talking

I know this has been resolved but thought I would add my 2p worth.

Get a spare battery, get under the car and attach it to the ignition. Then get a hammer and a long bar and push the bar behind the wheel arch and hit with hammer. Car thinks it's been in a accident and unlock's the doors. It also cuts the fuel off and if they don't know how to turn it back on, won't be able to start thier car.

P.S. Think this only works on newish cars.
Old 26 March 2001, 09:45 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

David......Go to your nearest florist and buy some flower wires.....put them together cos they are very strong and flexible and also thin too.......Then remove the rubber from around the window and try to unlock it from their.....My wife is a florist and i know it works cos i did it myself after i locked my keys in(soft Git).....Hope this helps.
Colin