Sponsored by:

First track day advice.....

Search this Thread

Old 31 March 2011, 04:42 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default First track day advice.....

Well mrs blu-scoob has bought me a track day for my birthday Its at Oulton park in Cheshire.

I'm excited and a tad nervous at the same time as I've never been on a track before. I've got just over 2 weeks to prepare myself and the car.

Any advice, no matter how small, would be much appreciated......
Old 31 March 2011, 04:46 PM
Blue and Gold
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont push yourself to keep up with others go at your own pace.

check your usuals i.e oil brakes tires other than that enjoy yourself
Old 31 March 2011, 04:47 PM
CHOLTON
Scooby Regular

Take your time and remember to keep 10 % back just incase you get out of shape , and don't apply the handbrake when you get back in the pits .
Old 31 March 2011, 04:48 PM
bigbruiseral
Scooby Regular

Normal stuff like, oil, tyres and such need checking. If you have aftermarket exhaust on take the bung if you have it. They would not let me go on with my NUR spec
Old 31 March 2011, 04:57 PM
oldmanmille
Scooby Regular

One of the best circuits in the country blu-scoob - I have done about 40 there and it still excites me!

1. keep your own fluids topped up
2. Dont eat too much
3. Relax and enjoy it
4. Dont try and keep up with anyone
5. Take it easy first 4-5 laps, build up, you will be going faster than you think
6. Dont look at the speedo!
7. keep an eye on tyre pressures
8. keep hand brake off when you come in off circuit - just dont use it full stop or you will have problems!
9. If Oulton is damp be very aware of the following corners/areas:
a). Druids
b). Shell
c). Brittons
d). Old Hall
10. Even if its dry be cautious (but not overly) at druids!

Hope your day goes well but be assured that once you have done it you will be bitten and will want/need to go again.

I'm at Anglesey this coming Sunday, try that one next blu-scoob as it is superb also.

You may need to uprate your brake fluid by the way as Oulton can be very taxing on the brakes so be careful of fade.

Hope the above helps, John
Old 31 March 2011, 05:00 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

I'll be doing and oil change and general health check before I go. Looking at getting a spare set of wheels for use on the track (I'm certain this won't be the last time i do one ) Any recommendations on track day insurance?

Originally Posted by bigbruiseral
If you have aftermarket exhaust on take the bung if you have it.
I have a powerflow on mine, loud but not overly loud so hoping I'll be ok as I don't have a bung for it!
Old 31 March 2011, 05:01 PM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Someone told me to lower tyre pressures so that they reach the right pressures once up to temperature.
Old 31 March 2011, 05:04 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by oldmanmille
You may need to uprate your brake fluid by the way as Oulton can be very taxing on the brakes so be careful of fade.
Cheers John

I'm certain the bug will bite

I've just upgraded to four pots and two pots and changed the fluid (dot 4) will this be adequate or will I be best changing it again?
Old 31 March 2011, 05:05 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's a public track day without slots for beginners, intermediates etc., you may find yourself mixing with some fairly serious stuff as happened to me at Brands a couple of weeks ago. At least half the entry turned up on trailers and were blatently pure competition cars! Keep an eye on your mirror but don't be intimidated, you've as much right to be on track as them.
As you'll be concentrating, be aware of the flags! I got a boll***ing for overtaking under a yellow which I didn't see!
Don't forget that you'll probably only do about 4 laps to a gallon so make sure you've got a full tank.
Enjoy!

JohnD
Old 31 March 2011, 05:06 PM
type.ra
Scooby Newbie

as a track day regular, here's my check list:

tyres - check tread: you'll go thru some, so if you plan on driving home make sure there's enough left to keep the bill happy.
tyres - check pressures: i run around 2 -2.1 bar all round most days. when you're there, speak to a regular for advise given the track on the day. most are always happy to help (so pack a good pressure gauge)
tyres - check your wheel nuts. Make sure they're all torqued correctly. See your manual for recommended setting

fluids - check oil. make sure your'e topped up, and reasonably fresh. and take a spare liter. you'll likely burn thru some
fluids - check brake fluid. again check your levels, and make sure everything is nicley fastened. it'll be working real hard.
fluids - check water levels. make sure the water levels are within the min/max gauge lines

brakes - make sure you've got meat to last the day and beyond. If you're like me - pack a spare set of fronts as well. nothing worse than ending a track day early because you didn't have a spare set of pads to throw in!
brakes - check your discs as well. inspect for cracks etc. it's all going to get nicely hot down there, so any issues will be magnified.

weight - get all that spare **** out the boot. no sense dragging any more weight around than you have to.

fuel - if you're running a standard pump/tank set up, I recommend keeping your tank at least 50% full for the duration. Fuel starvation is a real issue during high lateral force cornering, so a full tank helps prevent this.

head - most important. just go at your own pace. you don't win anything for being the fastest man out there, but there's a lot to lose.

oh and don't forget to fasten your helmet and seatbelt!
Old 31 March 2011, 05:13 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I was just on an MLR sprint day and it was my 1st time on a track. The car didn't seem as fast as I expected and slid out of virtually every corner but that was more fun Make sure you have plenty of fuel as we were getting surge at around a third of a tank.

Getting the right lines is harder than you think as on the track as due to normally driving on the road it seems strange keep moving across each time for an apex.

I had great fun but obviously slower than others due to lack of experince but as long as you have fun
Old 31 March 2011, 05:15 PM
bushiwarrior
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DON'T CRASH
Old 31 March 2011, 05:31 PM
wrxWillo
Scooby Regular

I use moris for all my track days but also competition car insurance.

Get some decent brake pads and fluid (not EBC in my opinion). I use Carbon Lorane but Mintex 1166 or Ferodo 2500 are good.
Old 31 March 2011, 06:16 PM
sweden
Scooby Regular

take a tool kit with you so that you can adjust tighten things as necassary, most times there will be a representative of the club thats organising the track day, who are normally more than willing to jump in the passenger seat and give you some advice over a few laps well worth.

1. remember its not a road so you can use the whole width of the track.

2. start out as you normally would drive, start noting where you are breaking for the corners and note what gears you are in at the time.

3.make a concise effort to shorten the brake distance and probably be firmer on the brakes (she can take it )

4. you will probably have found a sort of line round the corners by now, but its time to start looking at apexs

5. watch what the other cars are doing around you if see one that looks like he knows what he is doing and you can see him entering and exciting a corner see if you can notice it and at the same time try to copy it (forget about his speed).

6. DO NOT change gear mid corner, select a gear and stay with it

7. take lots of water to drink its thristy work

8. have a walk round the track and watch the other cars lines whilst you are resting the car.

9. say high to anyother scooby owner there and have a chat with them they will no doubt give you some advice/ jump in the passenger seat.

10. RELAX its not a race you are there to have fun and hopefully learn something about your scooby and your driving that will stay with you for the rest of your life

ill stop there lol hopefully that all makes sence

Last edited by sweden; 31 March 2011 at 06:18 PM.
Old 31 March 2011, 06:20 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrxWillo

Get some decent brake pads and fluid (not EBC in my opinion). I use Carbon Lorane but Mintex 1166 or Ferodo 2500 are good.
I'm on godspeed kevlar pads and discs so all good there What fluid would you recommend?

Originally Posted by sweden
ill stop there lol hopefully that all makes sence
It does, cheers
Old 31 March 2011, 06:32 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrxWillo

Things have moved on though - the 2010 Bluestuff I have are better than the 2500s I've used previously.
Old 31 March 2011, 06:34 PM
sweden
Scooby Regular

you posted about spare set of wheels earlier, DO IT it will be the best money yo ever spend, once you start to get any sort of decent speed/ lines you will start to destroy your normal tyres so if you can afford it maybe pick up a secod hand set form here with some track tyres, it will make such a difference that untill you experience it well youll see lol
Old 31 March 2011, 10:34 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

I would say that a few laps with an instructor will make you faster once you've got your head straight.

I personally love doing club days at Blyton ( rallycross circuit ) because it's tight and twisty and dirty... which means the car moves around and you have way more fun/learn quicker, IMHO.

Sadly the Subaru models aren't the dogs danglies on a race circuit, but you can still have fun.

dunx

P.S. ENJOY IT !
Old 01 April 2011, 03:22 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

You will drive it there so take it steady and drive it home, not agood day when it's on a trailer, enjoy it not regret it

remove the Wheel centre caps (they can fall out if wheels get really hot and expensive little blighters)

If it's an open pit trackday come in get after 4-5 laps wheel nuts, tyre pressures and fluids.

Driving and concentration requires is very exhausting give YOU and the Car a good break. drink water.

If i make 1 minor "misjudgement" a lap I put that down to "Trying" but if I make 2 in a Lap then thats lack of concentration and tiredness and come in as the next maybe a "Major" one

Tony

Last edited by T5NYW; 01 April 2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old 01 April 2011, 07:33 PM
M_J_P
Scooby Regular

As said above. Book a session or two with an instructor. Will be better for both you and the car.

Who is the day booked with?
Old 01 April 2011, 09:13 PM
dbrad
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by blu-scoob
I'm on godspeed kevlar pads and discs so all good there What fluid would you recommend?
I run Castrol SRF, expensive stuff but F1 cars run it so I'm told!

Enjoy yourself is the most important thing, good luck.