red light camera

Search this Thread

Old 27 March 2011, 10:14 PM
djandyg
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default red light camera

Hey guys,

Was coming up pretty fast to some lights near me that have a red light camera on them this afternoon, and they switched to orange just as I was about to go through... Due to the fact I know people who have been caught on it when going through on orange a instinctively decided to slam on the anchors and did an emergency stop lol.... I managed to stop but i reckon i may have been a metre or two over the white line (Theres a good chance I actually came to a standstill before it went red tho)
As it was daylight I didnt notice whether the camera flashed or not, but if it did will I be ok due to the fact I didnt actually go through the junction?
Old 27 March 2011, 10:18 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm afraid not mate,over the line is over the line.
My father got had for that not so long back
Old 27 March 2011, 10:39 PM
Martin 2010
Scooby Regular

if in doubt... its a true saying lol, depends on position on camera etc if it cud read the plate where it was at the time then quite possibly if not then u been out.. i dunno if these even flash tho?
Old 27 March 2011, 10:44 PM
djandyg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin 2010
if in doubt... its a true saying lol, depends on position on camera etc if it cud read the plate where it was at the time then quite possibly if not then u been out.. i dunno if these even flash tho?
pretty sure it flashes. Happened to my dad once years ago, set the camera off but stopped, and never got anything through for it.
It was daylight so not sure if id have seen it flash if it did though. Car wasnt completely over the line tho, just my front wheels i would have thought. Fingers crossed..
Old 27 March 2011, 10:45 PM
wrx9181
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It gives around 2 seconds between orange and red
Old 27 March 2011, 10:45 PM
djandyg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by prodriverules
I'm afraid not mate,over the line is over the line.
My father got had for that not so long back
by the way im pretty sure the back half of the car hadnt gone past the line, not sure if i made that clear enough...
Old 27 March 2011, 10:48 PM
tommy_lommy
Scooby Regular

i'd ask for the photo evidence when/if it comes through if ya wole car isn't over the line i'd say you have a shout to contest, the camera should take 2 photos and you'll b able t judge distance traveled between the 2 flashs.

there was a thing in the paper not too long ago n some havn't got fil in neway and are there as a deterant n not being used!!

keep ya fingers crossed or blame the mrs :P
Old 27 March 2011, 10:56 PM
sirsnortalot
Scooby Regular

Highly unlikely you'll have been nabbed......as mentioned, there is a few seconds delay even after the light has gone to red so I wouldn't worry too much. I've seen people in town going through way after they have turned red and still no flash! You should be fine
Old 28 March 2011, 12:10 AM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by tommy_lommy
i'd ask for the photo evidence when/if it comes through if ya wole car isn't over the line i'd say you have a shout to contest,
Does this theory apply to articulated lorries?
Old 28 March 2011, 04:36 AM
ironbridge
Scooby Regular

wow.....cameras on the traffic lights as well now!
england has changed since i was last there!
Old 28 March 2011, 09:11 AM
McPhie
Scooby Regular

Even in daylight you would've noticed the flash so i wouldn't worry. Had the exact same thing happen to me while back, saw the flashes as I came to a stop. Ony difference for me was that I was turning right. Never got anything in the post
Old 28 March 2011, 11:17 AM
Markfey
Scooby Regular

They have 14 days to send out a notice of intention of prosecution (NIP - who was driving)

Your speed should be recorded as well.

There is a process that must be followed, i.e the yellow light should be solid for 3 seconds before turning to red.

If you receive a NIP after 14 days, ignore it. Then when they write again explain you ignored their first letter as it arrived after 14 days. Keep, file and photocopy everything.

A little bit more research will go a long way.
Old 28 March 2011, 11:56 AM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

I am positive I read on a camera partnership site that they have traffic officers that look at the evidence and make a decision based on a few things. They can tell if you stopped, when you stopped and how far over the line you were etc.

They have the power to exercise discretion if they believe it was a mistake etc. Have a scan through the safety camera site that covers the area your camera was in. It might help
Old 28 March 2011, 06:32 PM
sharpy2010
Scooby Regular

If everything you've wrote is correct to the letter, then you won't be prosecuted for this. THe camera takes two photos in order that they can check if you were braking or not, and this is taken into consideration when the decide whether or not to prosecute.

You'll be fine.
Old 28 March 2011, 08:49 PM
djandyg
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the input everyone
Old 28 March 2011, 09:51 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Markfey
They have 14 days to send out a notice of intention of prosecution (NIP - who was driving)

Your speed should be recorded as well.

There is a process that must be followed, i.e the yellow light should be solid for 3 seconds before turning to red.

If you receive a NIP after 14 days, ignore it. Then when they write again explain you ignored their first letter as it arrived after 14 days. Keep, file and photocopy everything.

A little bit more research will go a long way.
A little more research on your behalf will reveal that the NIP must be sent within 14 days.It is immaterial when you receive it. Ignoring an NIP is not a wise idea, as you can then be prosecuted for failing to supply drivers details. The penalty for that offence is upto 6 points and £1000 fine which is considerably more than the £60 and 3 points for contravening a red traffic signal.
Provided it is sent to the registered keeper within 14 days of the offence you are obliged to complete it or face prosecution.
Personally I wouldn't worry until an NIP lands on your mat.
If it does take some proper advice as there is a lot of (well intended)BS on t'internet
Old 28 March 2011, 11:10 PM
Markfey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by s70rjw
A little more research on your behalf will reveal that the NIP must be sent within 14 days.It is immaterial when you receive it. Ignoring an NIP is not a wise idea, as you can then be prosecuted for failing to supply drivers details. The penalty for that offence is upto 6 points and £1000 fine which is considerably more than the £60 and 3 points for contravening a red traffic signal.
Provided it is sent to the registered keeper within 14 days of the offence you are obliged to complete it or face prosecution.
Personally I wouldn't worry until an NIP lands on your mat.
If it does take some proper advice as there is a lot of (well intended)BS on t'internet
Yes there is a lot of BS on the internet!

And a lot of people that will try and pick fault in anything that anyone says.
For example, there is a massive difference between ignoring and refusing.
Like i said in my original quote!
For example:- Standing up in court and saying "I don't know who was driving so you can't do anything to me, gov!" Is idiotic and you will receive up to what my learned friend has suggested.

Pointing out their flaws and omissions in evidence and explaining / disclosing part of your defence is another.

Sorry to rant but i'm sure there'll will be a reply to this so i'm currently biting my bottom lip.
Old 29 March 2011, 07:58 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Yes there is a lot of BS on the internet!

And a lot of people that will try and pick fault in anything that anyone says.
For example, there is a massive difference between ignoring and refusing.
Like i said in my original quote!
For example:- Standing up in court and saying "I don't know who was driving so you can't do anything to me, gov!" Is idiotic and you will receive up to what my learned friend has suggested.

Pointing out their flaws and omissions in evidence and explaining / disclosing part of your defence is another.

Sorry to rant but i'm sure there'll will be a reply to this so i'm currently biting my bottom lip.
Maybe think in future before you type bad advice
Old 29 March 2011, 08:18 PM
Markfey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by s70rjw
Maybe think in future before you type bad advice
Not bad advice. Just not advice from to someone who obviously works for a money grabbing, non sympathetic organisation who couldn't spot a criminal in a fit and has to go after the law abiding, tax paying citizen!
Old 30 March 2011, 08:52 PM
Geoteds2002
Scooby Regular

Oh dear, another small minded scoobynet individual who quite clearly suffers from "displacement thinking" *

*where an individual blames the agency that caught them for the fact that they are locked up / been fined etc instead of the real reason; their own law breaking.
Old 30 March 2011, 11:35 PM
Markfey
Scooby Regular

I think someone is forgetting or is miss guided into thinking that the issuer of the ticket is the person who finds him at guilt.

He is clearly wrong.

Everyone is judged by their peers in court and should not be bullied in to thinking otherwise with threats.

If this threat was titled with something along the lines of; Got caught doing 150mph, how do i get out of it? I'd have little or no sympathy what so ever. His actions would have been dangerous and or reckless on a public road.

However, it isn't. It's a misjudgement and simple mistake that even the best of drivers may have made. No body is perfect. Mistakes are made.

I have never mentioned not telling the truth, denying what happened etc... Just pointing out the process that is involved.
Old 31 March 2011, 06:32 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Not bad advice. Just not advice from to someone who obviously works for a money grabbing, non sympathetic organisation who couldn't spot a criminal in a fit and has to go after the law abiding, tax paying citizen!
I'm rather disappointed that you've resorted to insolence, however I can live with that.You seem over confident to judge my ability to carry out my role without having even met me or having any idea what my actual role is. Feel free to tar me with a brush as per your post. I can live with that also. Your comments are as wide of the mark as is your advice to ignore an NIP and end up in court.
On a positive note, you are at least consistent.
Old 31 March 2011, 10:45 PM
Markfey
Scooby Regular

The 14 day rule relates only to the period of time in which the Police/Process Unit must serve the original Notice. The Police do not have to prove that the Notice reached its intended recipient within 14 days, merely that in the normal course of events, it should have arrived.

I'm sorry that you felt my comments were directed at you. Obviously you are taking things too personally.

I think the majority of people will fill persecuted for driving a car these days whether it be paying for tax, fuel etc ...

My comments are directed towards the camera safety partnership. If the money was taken from them and given to the ANPR teams (Automatic Number Plate Recognition) Everyone would be a lot happier.

For those who don't know, you go through an ANPR camera and the police are waiting. They are looking for Stolen vehicles, uninsured, un taxed or MOT'd vehicles. Along with vehicles that have been used in crime and have no registered keeper and more.

Or/And putting more patrol officers on the road who have a thing called discretion and can differentiate between a criminal and (As i've already said), a law abiding, tax paying member of public.

I have yet to see a camera outside a school, a hospital or along a busy high street.
Why? Because it won't make any money? Or ????
Old 01 April 2011, 08:01 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

The 14 day rule relates only to the period of time in which the Police/Process Unit must serve the original Notice. The Police do not have to prove that the Notice reached its intended recipient within 14 days, merely that in the normal course of events, it should have arrived.

I'm sorry that you felt my comments were directed at you. Obviously you are taking things too personally.

I think the majority of people will fill persecuted for driving a car these days whether it be paying for tax, fuel etc ...

My comments are directed towards the camera safety partnership. If the money was taken from them and given to the ANPR teams (Automatic Number Plate Recognition) Everyone would be a lot happier.

For those who don't know, you go through an ANPR camera and the police are waiting. They are looking for Stolen vehicles, uninsured, un taxed or MOT'd vehicles. Along with vehicles that have been used in crime and have no registered keeper and more.

Or/And putting more patrol officers on the road who have a thing called discretion and can differentiate between a criminal and (As i've already said), a law abiding, tax paying member of public.

I have yet to see a camera outside a school, a hospital or along a busy high street.
Why? Because it won't make any money? Or ????
Thanks for clearing that up.
Don't / never had any interest in traffic legislation or prosecuting motorists, so I'm not in a position to comment on the location of cameras.
Old 02 April 2011, 12:05 PM
arumdevil
Scooby Regular

my local town has a camera right outside a busy school/crossing. Just saying.