Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picking up my 1st blobeye tomorrow..

Search this Thread

Old 25 March 2011, 10:23 PM
Rez
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picking up my 1st blobeye tomorrow..

Bit like christmas eve in our house tonight

I'm an ex classic owner of old and always fancied a blobeye so took the plunge this week.. It's a wagon, standard (other than prodrive exhaust + fog covers), but i'll be gently modding it as the months go by.. any advice welcomed..

My old classic..

All going well the new addition..

Old 25 March 2011, 10:25 PM
barnshaw
Scooby Regular

nice, quite rare in wagon aswell
Old 25 March 2011, 10:27 PM
BlobEyedRex
Scooby Regular

Practical B road blaster - Enjoy & plenty of power mods out there to make it a real beast
Old 25 March 2011, 11:07 PM
Rez
Scooby Regular

yep looking forward to it....
Old 26 March 2011, 05:52 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Good choice.
Old 26 March 2011, 06:23 PM
Rez
Scooby Regular

Well, it all went ahead and we've not long been back.. Bit of a trek from Newcastle to Barnsley and back again but it had to happen.. Car is in really good nick, engine sounds sweet, no rattles etc.. There is an annoying rattle from inside the drivers door which i'm sure my old classic had too but i'll get round to that sometime..

There is a problem though... as much as i scoured this car inside out before i paid i didn't pick up on a knock from the rear suspension, even though i was looking out for it, became obvious on way home though.. so it appears the rear shocks are shot.. not the end of the world i know but a bit of a nause.. anyone replaced these recently and how much did it cost roughly? Not look for coilovers etc just a pair of decent shocks.. Also has boost/oil/battery gauges fitted which all work which i was pleased about and also a baileys dump valve, both things i would have fitted...

and oh have i forgotten how quick that fuel gauge drops on the motorway!!

Last edited by Rez; 26 March 2011 at 07:17 PM.
Old 26 March 2011, 06:49 PM
wrx fifer
Scooby Regular

well done on coming back lol
nice looking blob and in the best colour
Old 26 March 2011, 06:53 PM
BlobEyedRex
Scooby Regular

Also worth checking it's not the rear drop links & bushes on the anti roll bar, mine were worn and produced that knocking sound which from reading forum posts thought it was the shock, but they were fine.
Old 26 March 2011, 06:59 PM
geordieempire
Scooby Newbie

Talking Blobeye are the best looking scoobies ever

You wIll love the blobeye just look after her

I'm an ex classic owner of old and always fancied a blobeye so took the plunge this week.. It's a wagon, standard (other than prodrive exhaust + fog covers), but i'll be gently modding it as the months go by.. any advice welcomed..

My old classic..

All going well the new addition..

[/QUOTE]
Old 26 March 2011, 07:19 PM
Rez
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BlobEyedRex
Also worth checking it's not the rear drop links & bushes on the anti roll bar, mine were worn and produced that knocking sound which from reading forum posts thought it was the shock, but they were fine.

good advice ta... will get her checked out next week.. links/bushes cheaper or more expensive than shocks??
Old 26 March 2011, 08:31 PM
chris_b
Scooby Regular

hi, i have a saloon the same age, genuine rear shock was £140 but they reccomend u do the top mount at the same time at about a 1er, oh and fit them in pairs lol
Old 26 March 2011, 09:30 PM
Rez
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chris_b
hi, i have a saloon the same age, genuine rear shock was £140 but they reccomend u do the top mount at the same time at about a 1er, oh and fit them in pairs lol

now where did i leave my credit card?
Old 27 March 2011, 11:52 AM
BlobEyedRex
Scooby Regular

links and bushes cheaper than shocks (on my 05 their £300 a piece), i decided to go with whiteline solid (heavy duty) end links gets the anti roll bar moving quicker, reduce roll a little but as its working quicker dials out some of the under-steer and is noticeable change and at same time replace the soft rubber mounting bushes with PU, whiteline seem to be the cheapest but were out of stock so went with powerflex & again this makes sure the bar moves 1st rather than get flex in mounting then bar moves
Old 27 March 2011, 07:26 PM
Rez
Scooby Regular

links and bushes cheaper than shocks (on my 05 their £300 a piece), i decided to go with whiteline solid (heavy duty) end links gets the anti roll bar moving quicker, reduce roll a little but as its working quicker dials out some of the under-steer and is noticeable change and at same time replace the soft rubber mounting bushes with PU, whiteline seem to be the cheapest but were out of stock so went with powerflex & again this makes sure the bar moves 1st rather than get flex in mounting then bar moves

Great thanks... been out in it today and it goes really well.. couple of things though.. it "feels" like it has more than 225bhp.. dealer didn't say it had a PPP but it does have a full pro-drive exhaust.. how would i know if it has the PPP or not? there's no cert amongst the documents.. and get this, as i was cleaning it my mate opened the drivers door and i noticed some little lights in the bonnet scoop, couldn't work out what the hell they were until i lifted the bonnet..

yes, you guessed it, LED's in the scoop!!! those ******* are coming straight out
Old 27 March 2011, 07:37 PM
BlobEyedRex
Scooby Regular

2 things easy to check
1st look at the turbo to intercooler hose, if it's PPP then it'll be blue with prodrive written in white & ECU will have prodrive sticker on it, located passenger footwell.

In the paperwork did you get certificate, saying WR Sport.
I'm also pretty sure you can give Prodrive a call and give them your reg. might be subaru who can also check.

I got a A5 sized certificate which says WR sport with a number and some stickers about notifying insurance which you might find attached to your car somewhere as well

Last edited by BlobEyedRex; 27 March 2011 at 07:40 PM.
Old 27 March 2011, 07:39 PM
Rez
Scooby Regular

2 things easy to check
1st look at the turbo to intercooler hose, if it's PPP then it'll be blue with prodrive written in white & ECU will have prodrive sticker on it, located passenger footwell.

grand, will do that tomorrow when it's light and let you know.. seems odd having the full prodrive exhaust though or could it be and option from new?
Old 27 March 2011, 07:46 PM
BlobEyedRex
Scooby Regular

well mine originally had a prodrive backbox without PPP and exhaust tip was oval shape, after PPP kit it was a round tip, but unless previous owner bought exhaust 2nd hand that's a possibility

Last edited by BlobEyedRex; 27 March 2011 at 07:47 PM.
Old 27 March 2011, 07:50 PM
BlobEyedRex
Scooby Regular

another thing the PPP kit never replaced the exhaust center section, on yours is that stainless with/without a silencer fitted? and also check what they call rear cat, which is/was fitted in front of the center pipe section it should still have the wide heat shields around it (located by back of gearbox/propshaft) but get a torch and instead of having cat pipe it'll be a straight through section which prodrive kit supplies

Last edited by BlobEyedRex; 27 March 2011 at 07:51 PM.
Old 27 March 2011, 08:22 PM
Rez
Scooby Regular

another thing the PPP kit never replaced the exhaust center section, on yours is that stainless with/without a silencer fitted? and also check what they call rear cat, which is/was fitted in front of the center pipe section it should still have the wide heat shields around it (located by back of gearbox/propshaft) but get a torch and instead of having cat pipe it'll be a straight through section which prodrive kit supplies

will do that too.. thanks for advice... out of interest what filter you running? quite fancy an induction kit of some description..
Old 27 March 2011, 08:28 PM
BlobEyedRex
Scooby Regular

green panel filter & stock airbox as read many places it's good for 350+BHP being as it was originally designed with group N homologation stuff in mind.

Did have a K&N cone filer (on ebay at moment 57-0626) but found the agressive induction roar and how it also amplified dump valve and turbo to attention grabbing, 1 time I gave it some going down street and scared the cr*p out of people walking down the road - recommend getting a turbosmart dual port dump valve as it allows low boost to recirc. like factory and high boost to vent out + you can adjust pressure for fine tuning it, good bit of kit

Oh forgot to say also lose the snorkal and that rubbish air inlet if it's still fitted, then fit some air duct in it's place picking up air from inside wing (think duct was 72mm, can measure 2morow) but fits the inlet to airbox perfect and added bonus you still get a nice induction sound + hear turbo just not as aggressive as cone filter

Last edited by BlobEyedRex; 27 March 2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old 27 March 2011, 08:36 PM
Rez
Scooby Regular

green panel filter & stock airbox as read many places it's good for 350+BHP being as it was originally designed with group N homologation stuff in mind.

Did have a K&N cone filer (on ebay at moment 57-0626) but found the agressive induction roar and how it also amplified dump valve and turbo to attention grabbing, 1 time I gave it some going down street and scared the cr*p out of people walking down the road - recommend getting a turbosmart dual port dump valve as it allows low boost to recirc. like factory and high boost to vent out + you can adjust pressure for fine tuning it, good bit of kit

Oh forgot to say also lose the snorkal and that rubbish air inlet if it's still fitted, then fit some air duct in it's place picking up air from inside wing (think duct was 72mm, can measure 2morow) but fits the inlet to airbox perfect and added bonus you still get a nice induction sound + hear turbo just not as aggressive as cone filter

mm right, it has a baileys d/valve on at the moment but the turbosmart makes sense.. will look into it.. although i know what you're saying about the induction noise of the k&n i was actually looking at one.. if you're interested in a BIN price PM me?