Sponsored by:

Exhaust manifold/gasket question

Search this Thread

Old 06 March 2011, 06:54 PM
siannie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Exhaust manifold/gasket question

Slight mild panic... if anyone knows this problem or has had it any advice would be great, but I think I'm doing the appropriate things?

Car went bang a bit louder than normal on way home - was with another scooby owner and reported something flying off under my car and then under his.

Mate had a quick check before dark and it could be 1 of 2 things:
1. Exhaust manifold and was told that would give me loss of power BUT car seems perfectly normal in reponse. So I was told it could be:
2. Manifold gasket - a lot cheaper item/job than a manifold itself. Car just sounds like a tractor when throttle is applied and still behaves normally with no loss of power.

Hopefully can get it looked at tomorrow morning.. it's already due for service

Thanks
Old 06 March 2011, 08:34 PM
fordrsrickc
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never heard of a car throwing a gasket out as its got two bolt holes per gasket and would have thought it would just blow, sounds to me like your manifold might have split or cracked or something or the manifold bolts might have been overtightened in the past and threaded and one was thrown out leaving your manifold open post what it really was im intrigued
Old 06 March 2011, 08:40 PM
siannie
Scooby Regular

ok thanks will let ppl know, this is throwing a few ppl out. I will cry my eyes out if it is the manifold as I won't be able to fix it for months so either let it sit or sell it. Fingers and toes crossed.
Old 06 March 2011, 08:45 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Hi there if its gaskets use OEM gaskets,don't use ebay gaskets,these will blown after few months.

Jura
Old 06 March 2011, 08:49 PM
siannie
Scooby Regular

thanks Jura - mate who looks after scoob has his own so he would never put cheap n nasty stuff on.

I was told that if it is manifold cracked I would lose substantial power? true or false lol. Just that car seems to be fine apart from the horrific throttle noise!
Old 06 March 2011, 08:49 PM
fordrsrickc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by siannie
ok thanks will let ppl know, this is throwing a few ppl out. I will cry my eyes out if it is the manifold as I won't be able to fix it for months so either let it sit or sell it. Fingers and toes crossed.
Changing a manifold is a very easy fix, i would put my money on the manifold bolts have been thrown out from overtightening in the past or just vibrations worked them loose,. could be worse i remember years ago when i had an old Astra GTE and i threw a conrod right through the side of my block and bits of my engine went under my car and down the road not a pretty sight lol
Old 06 March 2011, 08:54 PM
siannie
Scooby Regular

I was told manifolds are sh** to do on a scoob, plus ummm they're expensive ... I was slightly booting it but nothing unsual that I've done before - After I changed to 3rd no more than 70 I just heard bang and then throttle noise...
Old 06 March 2011, 09:15 PM
fordrsrickc
Scooby Regular

sounds like your bolts to the manifold and yes would have threw the gasket then and sound like a tractor,. if it still runs i wouldnt worry too much need to get it up in the air to investigate properly,. good luck though.
Manifolds arent too bad once you have got the heatshields off which i a load of little bolts after that its a doddle a little time consuming but theraputic lol
Old 06 March 2011, 09:22 PM
siannie
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate, i'm sure my mate will sympathise but main thing is that he owns a garage I'm just embarrassed cos of the amount of noise it makes!

I'll just do my female in distress act... It's a shame that I don't have the knowledge or the space to do it myself. You've helped ease the panic lol cheers
Old 06 March 2011, 09:57 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Hi there if you have fitted cheap headers/manifold probably cracked and replacement will be easy,just fit OEM headers...
If are not cracked,just make sure all bolts are securely fitted with gaskets.I have similar problem few month ago,and sound has been almost like V8,and we are find headers gasket has blown up

Jura
Old 06 March 2011, 10:24 PM
siannie
Scooby Regular

I've had car 11 months and previous owner had it 2 yrs but never reported gasket/manifold problem, he said only real problem he had was battery died! So really don't know what to expect tomorrow...
Old 06 March 2011, 11:09 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

If it's your manifold that is buggered then it's not a major problem.
I've got a standard manifold here if you need one as I've got GT spec one now.
Old 07 March 2011, 08:56 AM
siannie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
If it's your manifold that is buggered then it's not a major problem.
I've got a standard manifold here if you need one as I've got GT spec one now.
Cheers mate - will let you know saw japspeed s/steel for £199 but just need to know damage first.

Car's in garage now... bloke said if ur gasket's gone then mostly likely ur manifold has too? My usual mechanic is too busy but from sound of it he said just gaskets, so he recommended these other people. shame the car has to be taken apart to check manifold!! (unless the guy is gonna try rip me off)
Old 07 March 2011, 09:37 AM
siannie
Scooby Regular

NOT MANIFOLD....

I managed to blow the s/steel exhaust off... just needs re-welding on... oops.. need to find some heat wrap too - a) how easy is it to do and b) dare I say why it is needed?
Old 07 March 2011, 09:45 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Heat wrap is to used to keep engine temps down, for instance, I have my manifold, intercooler hard pipes and my downpipe wrapped.
Lateral do some good stuff.
Glad it was only a minor problem you had.. You should be back on the road in no time.
Old 07 March 2011, 10:13 AM
siannie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
Heat wrap is to used to keep engine temps down, for instance, I have my manifold, intercooler hard pipes and my downpipe wrapped.
Lateral do some good stuff.
Glad it was only a minor problem you had.. You should be back on the road in no time.
Yeah I'm v relieved. Think heat wrap was on manifold and downpipe only.

Will get it back today place were gonna charge me £155 and I went holy and phoned other matey I know and he said no more than £50-60. Ended up threatening to take car elsewhere and they went down to £75 for everything. Result.