Sponsored by:

Alternator or battery?

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2011, 10:14 AM
Andy03STI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator or battery?

I have a 03 sti and keep having trouble with battery going flat if it's stood for a couple of days or it's been moved 4 times in last two days and was flat again last night.
The battery was replaced last may by the previous owner at kwik fit. In September it was exchanged due to keep losing charge now it's doing it again. Anyway it also has a intermittent misfire and last few times I have charged battery up it dissapears then gets worse. I charged it up fully again last night and misfire seems to have gone again.
What I want to know is can a faulty alternator or battery cause issues like this?
Old 14 January 2011, 10:18 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe the tracker draining it

Tony
Old 14 January 2011, 10:30 AM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the same thing on mine. As Tony say's if it's got a Tracker it could well be refusing to go into sleep mode and driaing the battery.
Old 14 January 2011, 10:30 AM
gallois
Scooby Regular

i had this issue on my previous battery, at the time though, i didn't realise how rediculous the charging system is, i.e. the alternator only charges the battery if there is a significant elcectrical load - side lights or blower, otherwise, after the first few mins, the alternator stops charging!. So long periods of no-use would gradually naturally run the battery down, followed by a start, followed by no charging. Eventually the battery got too flat to start the car, and this ruins the battery over time when put on a charger. (very flat, followed by charging repeatedly.)

Now on my second battery and no issues at all, (as i always drive with my blower set to min, this provides 14v from the alternator).

When i get 2 mins, i will video my psi3 datamonitor showing the 'battery voltage' with no electricals turned on, and then with lights, or blower on) as many find it hard to believe.
Old 14 January 2011, 10:38 AM
amego
Scooby Regular

same prob my self i run the car with the blowers on number 2 been ok for the last year
Old 14 January 2011, 10:44 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

I believe they dont charge when cold either, so short journeys dont do it any good

Tony
Old 14 January 2011, 10:56 AM
Andy03STI
Scooby Regular

I was wondering if they are just poor batteries from kwik fit. Think it was only about £60 which I think is cheap from there. The make is platinum prestige. I'll check alternator is producing right voltage output. If that's ok I'll get a bosch or halfords battery they seem to have good rating on here.
Ive read once battery is charged the car just runs of alternator power alone so was wondering if it wasn't producing power it should be.
I'm not sure if car has a tracker fitted or not to be honest. Has a Clifford g5 alarm fitted. Also I have a little button next to handbrake with two rubber buttons on it. Think one has a star on it. I don't have a clue what it is for. Anyone any ideas? I'll get a photo of it up later.
Old 14 January 2011, 11:13 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

There are two measurements you need to make
1. The voltage across the battery with the engine running. This should be 13.8v or so
2. The parasitic current draw when the engine isn't running. You'll need to put your muiltimeter in series between the battery and the battery lead. It shouldn't be more than about 50ma. (dont know exact figure for these cars)

Last edited by TopBanana; 14 January 2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 14 January 2011, 11:14 AM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree with the above re: the alternator performance. I always run mine with side lights on and fan on. Certainly helps to keep the Alternator working better
Old 14 January 2011, 11:18 AM
gallois
Scooby Regular

from what i've observed on my ECU monitor, just the sidelights or just the blower on minimum is fine to make the alternator start charging the battery.
Old 14 January 2011, 12:01 PM
rob2613
Scooby Newbie

Hi mate - this may sound a silly question but has it had a clutch recently as i had the exact same problem, i put three batteries on and an alternator and still going flat after a few days, after all this a good friend asked if i had had the clutch done recently, he works for subaru and had a car come in with the same problem - and it ended up being the earth strap from the gearbox to the bulkhead that was not connected back - you can see this by taking the intercooler off and having a look. This sorted the problem and over november and december i left the car and it started straight away last week with no problems
Old 14 January 2011, 12:17 PM
P600wrx
Scooby Regular

it is a smart charge system same as ford use, easy simple answer is leave side lights on as that causes enought load to charge, also if only using a couple times a week then a battery optimizer from the bay of E will doo the trick to keep everything in order, they trickle charge at about 2amps or summat like that

hth Mark
Old 14 January 2011, 12:38 PM
Andy03STI
Scooby Regular

I checked all earth straps other week all appear fine.
Anyone know where a tracker is likely to be located and I'll see if it has one on.
Old 14 January 2011, 12:41 PM
P600wrx
Scooby Regular

tracker will be anywhere depending on the installer, but it has it's own battery back up system can't really say on an open forum as to the location but it will be in there somewhere if it has 1,
Old 14 January 2011, 12:48 PM
Andy03STI
Scooby Regular

I'll have a good look round this weekend. Can you just disconnect them?
Old 14 January 2011, 01:09 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TopBanana
There are two measurements you need to make
1. The voltage across the battery with the engine running. This should be 13.8v or so
2. The parasitic current draw when the engine isn't running. You'll need to put your muiltimeter in series between the battery and the battery lead. It shouldn't be more than about 50ma. (dont know exact figure for these cars)
50mA seems very low. IIRC mine was using about 0.5A when parked up. So a 60Ah battery will last approximately 120hours = 5 days. (That's with no interior light etc., but with tracker, clock.
Old 14 January 2011, 02:17 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by Andy03STI
I'm not sure if car has a tracker fitted or not to be honest. Has a Clifford g5 alarm fitted. Also I have a little button next to handbrake with two rubber buttons on it. Think one has a star on it. I don't have a clue what it is for. Anyone any ideas? I'll get a photo of it up later.
Its your valet button, if you dont know what the code is then you need to speak with a clifford dealer and get it reprogrammed, though depending on which alarm you have it may also have anti hijack fitted.

Tony
Old 14 January 2011, 03:11 PM
Andy03STI
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that. Ill look in instructions it tells you how to do it was looking other week even if you don't know code you can do it as long as you have fob with you. Nothing about the buttons in it as I recall I'm sure you did it all with fob.
Old 14 January 2011, 03:27 PM
P600wrx
Scooby Regular

right it won't be the clifford, i fit them and sooo many people say it's the alarm, well not true, the current draw on them is minimul, i have left my scoob for a week after 96hrs the alarm goes into sleep mode, the car has smart charging on it drive about with side lights on and get a battery optimizer for it,

the valet switch is coded as tony says, your original code for the alarm would of been on the back of the keyfob, the only way it can be done now is via a dealer to change it for you if you don't know, factory presets are all different so there is no generic code to try IE:1234, and when they are installed first time round 70% are changed to the owners own code,
Old 14 January 2011, 03:32 PM
The Sheep Worrier
Scooby Regular

i don't know if this may help you but just an experience i had with my classic last year..
same problem, battery loosing charge over a couple of days, nothing wrong with batt or alternator, after searching through i found that the live wire to my alternator had corroded on the spade connectors, in its sleeving believe it or not, located near the cooling system top up plastic bottle on the r-hand side of the engine bay. must have been arcing overnight causing battery to drain. Replaced the connectors and cleaned the wires and problem solved!
Dont know how common this is, but just thought i'd share my experience might save you a couple of quid just to check if all else fails!!
good luck
Rob
Old 14 January 2011, 06:36 PM
Andy03STI
Scooby Regular

How big is the tracker? I've found a black box with loads holes in like a speaker and all coils inside. Box is about 70mm * 50mm.
Old 14 January 2011, 07:58 PM
bazzabugs
Scooby Regular

Hi i had the same problem with my car.If i did'nt use the car for 2 days the battery would be dead flat.I did post up on here but i did'nt get any answers.I have just had tracker come out to me today and service my unit and changed the battery.
All i hope its solved the problem only time will tell 2 days. I will post the result when i know.
Bazza