Sponsored by:

biggest turbo for my classic

Search this Thread

Old 13 January 2011, 07:46 PM
wylie1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default biggest turbo for my classic

hi im just wondering what the biggest turbo i can fit to my 1994 classic wrx? ihave a td05 at the moment would a sti turbo fit?
Old 13 January 2011, 07:48 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am sure it's the same turbo for that year of car for both the sti and wrx!
Old 13 January 2011, 07:49 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The turbo you have is about the biggest you want to fit, it is a TD05 16G, similar in size to a VF35 so no need to change it, I would recommend you upgrade your ecu if you want to make the best out of it, and alot of other parts like brakes, injectors, exhaust etc.

Tony
Old 13 January 2011, 07:50 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

And clutch, suspension, intercooler, induction.........go on, you know you want to
Old 13 January 2011, 07:58 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Your turbo is good for 330-340 bhp with all the right bits to go with it. Any more than that and you can kiss goodbye to first your gearbox and then your engine.....
Old 13 January 2011, 08:23 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

May require engine mods:

Old 14 January 2011, 10:05 AM
wylie1
Scooby Regular

i currently have a fmic, k&n fully decated exhaust. wat injectors would be good to use? and also any1 know where i can get a good remap or chip?
Old 14 January 2011, 10:11 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have all that without a chip or remap
Lets see......!!!!! I would now be looking how well your engine is running, ie det or running a little too lean as the standard ecu cannot do miracles, forget about the injectors for now, think about the engine, its not going to be happy with all that on there, health check first at a speciallist, you will need an aftermarket ecu or chip, thats if you have not done some damage to the car, then speak with your speciallist, the injectors can be added when the ecu is fitted and mapped, plus where abouts are you in the uk?

Tony
Old 14 January 2011, 05:17 PM
wylie1
Scooby Regular

the car is sorn at the moment until i get the rest of the parts i brought it with a blown engine so only driven it couple of times and must strees very slowly.is a polar chip any good? and also is it worth getting a tubular manifold? where would i get a good aftermarket ecu from?im from blackpool we have scoobytek bowt 5 miles up the road
Old 15 January 2011, 09:25 AM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

pm majorcarcasm on here and he may be able to sort you a chip mapped for your car.
I sent him my ecu and some monies and emailed him a spec of my car and in return he sent me my ecu back with a new reflashed chip in it to suit my spec.
Top guy to deal with too.
Old 15 January 2011, 06:14 PM
wylie1
Scooby Regular

ive just brought a polar performance chip which suits the car and mods on my car so lets see how we get on once its fitted
Old 15 January 2011, 08:20 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by gazzawrx
pm majorcarcasm on here and he may be able to sort you a chip mapped for your car.
I sent him my ecu and some monies and emailed him a spec of my car and in return he sent me my ecu back with a new reflashed chip in it to suit my spec.
Top guy to deal with too.
Oh dear.

Form an orderly queue................
Old 15 January 2011, 08:59 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

How can you map a car without listening to it and tweaking what needs doing? As the car is modified so needs a custom map surely. I didn't know you could get a generic map for a highly modified impreza. What happens if the car ends up running lean??
Old 15 January 2011, 09:20 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wylie1
ive just brought a polar performance chip which suits the car and mods on my car so lets see how we get on once its fitted

My car had one of those fitted when i bought it and it was getting terrible boost cut! It was the first thing that was removed!

Fitted an apexi power fc and got Andy F to work his magic!

Custom map is the best way to do it
Old 15 January 2011, 09:38 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Do yourself a favour, and get an ESL daughter board at LEAST.

You`ll more than likely blow your engine up otherwise, if you want to fit larger injectors then the ESL can be mapped for it.

I know you wanna get into it and get it done, but these cars DO NOT like fiddling and not adjusting the map, does the fact you bought it with a blown engine not tell you anything?? Mine was bought with a dead engine, and I`m not gonna blow mine up being hasty and not looking after things I`ve spend my money on.

By all means if you wanna see how much it will take before it goes bang feel free, but surely would be better to have it mapped correctly to what it needs, rather than what you think it needs??

Last edited by Jimbob; 15 January 2011 at 09:40 PM.
Old 16 January 2011, 01:37 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

the car is sorn at the moment until i get the rest of the parts i brought it with a blown engine so only driven it couple of times and must strees very slowly.is a polar chip any good? and also is it worth getting a tubular manifold? where would i get a good aftermarket ecu from?im from blackpool we have scoobytek bowt 5 miles up the road
Wylie: You need to stand back, take a deep breath and think.
Find someone who will help you get this up and running with what you have now.(Specifically I mean the specification and job list) A chip is generic and cannot take in to account the individual requirements of your setup. Even a good chip cannot handle the specific needs of your car and therefore you will never get optimum output from a chip.
You need a mappable ECU which can tailor the fuel, ignition and boost maps to your requirements.
Your turbo with full supporting mods, everything done, properly mapped will probably support 340-350 bhp and surely your first priority should be to get the car up and running and from your basic first mods get everything working efficiently so that power output becomes reality. It also means that any subsequent mods will give best output for least expenditure.
What injectors are fitted to your car? 380cc grey on your model year may produce 280-290 bhp if you are lucky and 440cc yellow will max out somewhere between 320 and 340 bhp.
Why would you want tubular headers? This would be a good step backwards. I sell tubular headers but you are wasting your time and money on these until you are a long way up the power scale and £200 cheapos from e-Bay will produce poor power and crack inside a few months.
Your priority has to be to get the car up and running with the least expense with the right injectors to support the existing turbo with all the workmanship done properly, mapped properly with all mods that you put on the car now complimentary and that will allow future modifications without great expense.

Don't listen to Chocolate-O-Brian. That turbo is too big for your front suspension and you will need a periscope to see where you are going

Last edited by harvey; 16 January 2011 at 01:38 PM.
Old 16 January 2011, 01:40 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by harvey
Find someone who will help you get this up and running with what you have now.(Specifically I mean the specification and job list) A chip is generic and cannot take in to account the individual requirements of your setup. Even a good chip cannot handle the specific needs of your car and therefore you will never get optimum output from a chip.
You need a mappable ECU which can tailor the fuel, ignition and boost maps to your requirements.
Your turbo with full supporting mods, everything done, properly mapped will probably support 340-350 bhp and surely your first priority should be to get the car up and running and from your basic first mods get everything working efficiently so that power output becomes reality. It also means that any subsequent mods will give best output for least expenditure.
What injectors are fitted to your car? 380cc grey on your model year may produce 280-290 bhp if you are lucky and 440cc yellow will max out somewhere between 320 and 340 bhp.
Why would you want tubular headers? This would be a good step backwards. I sell tubular headers but you are wasting your time and money on these until you are a long way up the power scale and £200 cheapos from e-Bay will produce poor power and crack inside a few months.
Your priority has to be to get the car up and running with the least expense with the right injectors to support the existing turbo with all the workmanship done properly, mapped properly with all mods that you put on the car now complimentary and that will allow future modifications without great expense.

Don't listen to Chocolate-O-Brian. That turbo is too big for your front suspension and you will need a periscope to see where you are going
^^^^ Listen to this man!^^^^^^
Old 16 January 2011, 02:59 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Excellent post, even the bit about my *ahem* serious turbo post
Old 16 January 2011, 10:52 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

None of that old secondhand industrial crap.
This is what you need here. You might need a bump in your bonnet but with a cushion underneath you should be able to see over the top.

You want the big one above. Don't be concerned about the size. It only looks big next to a TD04. Do a rebore to 3.3 litres or add two extra cylinders and Bob's your uncle. Just what you need, a roller bearing Garrett that can break all four driveshafts.
Old 16 January 2011, 10:56 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

None of that old secondhand industrial crap.
This is what you need here. You might need a bump in your bonnet but with a cushion underneath you should be able to see over the top.

You want the big one above. Don't be concerned about the size. It only looks big next to a TD04. Do a rebore to 3.3 litres or add two extra cylinders and Bob's your uncle. Just what you need, a roller bearing Garrett that can break all four driveshafts.
:l ol1:
Loving that Harvey
Old 17 January 2011, 09:13 PM
wylie1
Scooby Regular

thanks for all the advice much apperciated the car is fully working flew through mot just not taxed it with it being xmas and wont be driving it i will definately getting it mapped when funds allow i just hear different things someone told me to get a polar performane chip so i buy 1 and now im being told not to i got the chip just so it can be driven very carefully without doing any damage this is my 2nd wrx my 1st one was same year but was mapped and i can realy tell the difference but that was mapped when i brought it so didnt cost me but will be something that will definately getting done asap
Old 17 January 2011, 09:19 PM
wylie1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
How can you map a car without listening to it and tweaking what needs doing? As the car is modified so needs a custom map surely. I didn't know you could get a generic map for a highly modified impreza. What happens if the car ends up running lean??
i am just listening to what im being told different people tell me different info everyone agrees custom map but until i save up for that was told this chip would be ok for everyday driving
Old 17 January 2011, 09:25 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

i am just listening to what im being told different people tell me different info everyone agrees custom map but until i save up for that was told this chip would be ok for everyday driving
Wouldn`t bother, imho get everything you want to fit together, and then when you have an idea of which ECU route your going to go get the money.
Then when your ready and booked in, and speak to your mapper as to best time to fit the parts, stuff like Turbo and intercooler can be done before as long as you run off boost iirc.

But me I`d not bother with a generic chip.
Old 17 January 2011, 09:48 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jimbob WRX
Wouldn`t bother, imho get everything you want to fit together, and then when you have an idea of which ECU route your going to go get the money.
Then when your ready and booked in, and speak to your mapper as to best time to fit the parts, stuff like Turbo and intercooler can be done before as long as you run off boost iirc.

But me I`d not bother with a generic chip.
+1

Just because one person said to get this or that doesn't make it gospel

You wouldn't jump off a bridge if someone said it gave you 20bhp more would you
Old 17 January 2011, 10:01 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
You wouldn't jump off a bridge if someone said it gave you 20bhp more would you
Which Bridge????
Old 17 January 2011, 11:01 PM
wylie1
Scooby Regular

not just 1 person just as many people told me to get the chip than is to telling me not to get the chip i got it pretty cheap so will be able to sell it on easy enough
Old 17 January 2011, 11:03 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

not just 1 person just as many people told me to get the chip than is to telling me not to get the chip i got it pretty cheap so will be able to sell it on easy enough
Its the damage it could do to your engine thats the concern.
If the data on it was known thats half the battle, but its an unknown chip.
Old 18 January 2011, 10:23 AM
wylie1
Scooby Regular

[quote=Jimbob WRX;9827984]Its the damage it could do to your engine thats the concern.
If the data on it was known thats half the battle, but its an unknown chip.[/

what do u mean the data? do u mean what the chips been maped for?
Old 18 January 2011, 06:32 PM
wylie1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jimbob WRX
Its the damage it could do to your engine thats the concern.
If the data on it was known thats half the battle, but its an unknown chip.
just fitted chip and now car idles between 1-2k and then cuts out is that a dodgy chip or just because its not for what mods i have? i drove it to end of my street and was ok but on my drive starts playing up?
Old 18 January 2011, 06:45 PM
newdave
Former Sponsor

Why on earth have you fitted a chip Harvey has given you all the info you need

Quick Reply: biggest turbo for my classic