Some Advise?

Search this Thread

Old 30 December 2010, 01:19 PM
+49
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some Advise?

Hi Guys!

My first post,And was wondering if i could have a bit of advise from the scooby experts!

Basicallys I'm possibly going into my first possible scoob ownership and wanted an advise on pricing.Subaru Prices seem to be all over the place..I've checked autotrader/pistonheads/ebay etc etc and theres just no "average" price for a certain model?Basically i'm taking in a Part X against my car I was planning on keeping this car for 3-4 months( perfect for the weather) then possibly selling it spring/summer time so i wanted to atleast get the money that i'm trading up against mine..then again i migth even keep it!

So guess i'd bet to tell you about the car,
Subaru Impreza Wagon/Estate/Hatch Turbo 2000 UK
1999 "S"
Green
Wagon
Full good history/with all mots
Low owners
Very clean ,few scuffs on front bumper little bit of rust(owner ensured very small)
Complelty standard besides backbox ( which i like the sound of)
Seller seems a genuine guy(migth even be a memeber here)

After doing some research its the more desirable "facelift" model differnt front bumpers 4 pot brakes differnt ECU.

I haven't seen the car yet but basically the owner wants 2k against my car.Is this any good? been looking on ebay last few days and i've seen a few salons( i presume these are more desirable) go for 1500-1800 around "P" plates with 90k odd on them.I presume Green is not as desirable as with non scooby cars?(seems to be alot of them in this colour)Is a 1999 Facelift worth alot more money etc?The 99 wagons iv'e seen for sale seem to be 2000-2500 with 100k plus miles?But they could be overpriced and most are at dealers.

Any help guys as i'm selling my car as needed the money don't wanna get burnt if i have to sell up 6 months from now or somthing .. So basically is a clean low milage 99 wagon worth around 2k? Or if i stuck it on ebay 3 day auction if i'm hard then end up with £1300 a possiblilty? lol.Have to think with my head somtimes as my heart seems to be costing me more than I can afford!

Thanks for any advise i've allready learnt alot about the differnt models/specs/power outputs by searching on the forums.Still bit confused tho I find it comical about how many different models/variations there are
Old 30 December 2010, 01:44 PM
newdave
Former Sponsor

Any colour but a green 1
but you would be better off with an import (more power and Better spec)
Old 30 December 2010, 02:00 PM
+49
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by newdave
Any colour but a green 1
but you would be better off with an import (more power and Better spec)
That what I was thinking but green ones don't seem to be any cheaper ,I thought maybe Scooby lovers love green or somthing lol.

Imports are more power,But i'm not after ultimate performance,A 215bhp AWD car will be enuff for me (for now!) But what's actually worth more imports or UK models?Imports are simply stupid to ensure for me..did a few qoutes on a Type RA few years back was silly..2x the price of an E46 M3..Which is faster..more expensive..and probs more to repair..plus being RWD 346BHP probs more chance of binning it

I'm asking scooby nuts like yourselfs to think with your "sensible" caps on for me.I know that's hard as a good mate of mine is a scooby nut and he seems to think anything non JDM or sub 300bhp is worth about £500 LOL(he'll probably read this later and denie it )

Thanks for the input tho!
Old 30 December 2010, 02:25 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Welcome to SNet.

A Scoob is not an 'investment' mate, (more of a dependent tbh) and as such will not appreciate in monetary value. 2k is about the top end i would pay for a 'standard' UK Wagon of that age in this climate. I would be very surprised if you managed to recouped your costs after 6 months.

2k is just the start, insurance and tax is high, not to mention servicing costs and the MPG

If, as you post implies, money is a little tight atm, an Impreza will not help your situation one little bit.

As you said, use your head, not your heart.

You don't mention what you are driving atm, or what you are p/x'ing with.??
Old 30 December 2010, 02:29 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Scoobs cost quite a bit to keep on the road - fuel, road tax, insurance, servicing etc etc. Don't buy one if money is tight as noted above. What about a diesel

TX.
Old 30 December 2010, 02:49 PM
+49
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by b13bat
Welcome to SNet.

A Scoob is not an 'investment' mate, (more of a dependent tbh) and as such will not appreciate in monetary value. 2k is about the top end i would pay for a 'standard' UK Wagon of that age in this climate. I would be very surprised if you managed to recouped your costs after 6 months.

2k is just the start, insurance and tax is high, not to mention servicing costs and the MPG

If, as you post implies, money is a little tight atm, an Impreza will not help your situation one little bit.

As you said, use your head, not your heart.

You don't mention what you are driving atm, or what you are p/x'ing with.??
Dont' worry guys I drive a 2003 BMW Z4 3.0..running costs are a killer aswell lol.But I don't do many miles so its not a BIG problem but not somthing i can probs keep on forever maybe another 6 months then somthing proper cheap.So 2k is really top retail value? Considering he's the one wanting to P/X doesn't seem exactly good does.When you p/x somthing you can't exepct FULL retail for yours.Esp since my car at 8k is the cheapest mialge z4/full spec advertised ... Humm..

Yes the insurance is £550 on top of my insurance.So 6 months worth i'm looking £250 extra(they refund when i change cars) Fuel i presume it will be similar to my Z4?And matainance? Pff try spending 2k in 12 months over 4k miles lol.No matter how broke I am I can never run cars on a whim and only give them the best.I'd rather sell up (as i am now) then maintain badly.

Doesn't seem a great or even decent deal then I had allready pictured my self driving around with that flat four throb (heart taking over again)
Old 30 December 2010, 02:56 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I paid 3.5 for a My99 running 305bhp ..

The mods I wanted and very well looked after .. slightly high mileage though ..

Love it and its my third Scooby
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	620.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	4789   Click image for larger version

Name:	3440.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	4790  
Old 30 December 2010, 03:15 PM
+49
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by pimmo2000

Is thata good thing tho? That its running 305BHP?As in being worth anymore money ? I know the Jap world is a bit differnt but any other car it would be worth same if not less.Only somthing like a fully blue printed race spec eninge with 10-20k in it demanding more money.

Of course generally.
Old 30 December 2010, 03:30 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000

No comparison to what the OP is looking at imho. Two very different animals.

Pimmo, thats the first time i've seen your replacement, very nice looking motor.
Old 30 December 2010, 04:07 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by +49
Is thata good thing tho? That its running 305BHP?As in being worth anymore money ? I know the Jap world is a bit differnt but any other car it would be worth same if not less.Only somthing like a fully blue printed race spec eninge with 10-20k in it demanding more money.

Of course generally.
No comparison to what the OP is looking at imho. Two very different animals.

Pimmo, thats the first time i've seen your replacement, very nice looking motor.
Oh I agree, just giving an idea of pricing .. I paid more because it has want I would have spend thousands doing anyway ..
Old 30 December 2010, 05:01 PM
+49
Scooby Newbie

Ok guys cool,I'll put my best offer in the deal and see what happens.

thanks for the advise.And I could be posting some pics of a Wagon soon!(or not!)
Old 30 December 2010, 05:08 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Shall we hold our breath??
Old 30 December 2010, 06:27 PM
+49
Scooby Newbie

Shall we hold our breath??
no response from the guy yet so i wouldn't do that lol
Old 30 December 2010, 07:30 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Pimmo your car looks mint, my first Impreza was a DBM Classic. I'm on my third now too...What's its mileage, by the way.