Search this Thread

Old 29 December 2010, 10:41 PM
M3-FAST
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bug Eye Newbie - Roll Cage Advice

Hi Folks

Scooby Newbie here so go easy on me

Just bought myself a 2002 Bug-eye WRX to be used as a track day car. It has already had some mods done:

TSL Decat up-pipe
TSL Thundercat down pipe
TSL sports cat/middle section
SAMCO hoses
Adjustable dump valve
Cold air induction kit
High Flow fuel pump
Re-con turbo
40mm lowered TSL suspension
Radius R3 alloys
Prodrive boot spoiler
Re-map/Dyno by Scoobyclinic

It's a decent car in very good nick - 75k miles with every receipt and invoice from new. I have already done a couple of cosmetic mods (fitted clear indicator lenses!) and have bought some 3" harnesses and a full set of grooved/dimpled discs & Mintex pads

My next stage is to install a roll cage and this is where I need some help & advice:

I have been doing some browsing around and it appears that there are plenty of cages available for the classic models but few for the newage models.

I spoke to SccobyClinic & they stock a Safety Devices cage and they have told me that the cage they supply for the classic model will also fit the bug eye model. I double checked this and they said, yes, they fit them all the time and they will fit all models. My problem is the price as they want £792 which was a lot more than I was hoping to pay.

If this is the case, then this opens up other possibilities for me. I have been speaking to Saj at Jap Performance Parts and he said they only stock ones for the classic model - Cusco Safety 21 JPP100871458C - 6 point cage inc padding for £395 all in! These also require no welding and are fully bolt in which appeals in case I want to return the car to stock.

My question is this - if the Safety Devices cage can be fitted to the later model, then surely the bolt in Safety 21 cage can also? Has anyone had experience of fitting a cage or even better, any experience of the Cusco cage. I have read a few poor comments about the cheaper Cusco cages that are for cosmetic/show purposes only but the Safety 21 series have stronger tubing etc and are designed for a safety purpose.

What are peoples thoughts on this as I am really trying to get the car as safe as I can but on a budget.

Thanks in advance, Paul
Old 30 December 2010, 07:35 PM
M3-FAST
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

67 views and not so much as an ounce of advice?

Have I broken some 'forum etiquette' when posting as a new member? Apologies in advance if i have!
Old 30 December 2010, 07:37 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Some will shortly be here to help dude . This is Scoobynet not NASIOC