Search this Thread

Old 29 December 2010, 11:55 PM
dbiagioni
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought my first scooby yesterday! Some help please

Made the plunge and got my first scooby yesterday. Heres a link to the advert:

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/2110812.htm

It was actually the third one i viewed in the end. The first two were uk specs, but when i drove the jdm model I was sold.

It had lots of niggles 2bh so after lots of haggling on the price I decided to go for it.

The car has an exhaust system and induction kit fitted so I would like to get it mapped. Can anyone recommend a good place to take it to? Im based in Swansea, Wales but dont mind travelling.

Im looking to add a boost gauge next, ideally a pillar mounted one, anyone seen any about for sale? I had a browse on e-bay but they werent looking too great.

Would you use a boost controller on the car or can this be setup another way? On my last car I was running a motec m4 pro ecu so boost was controlled off that. Is it worth adding an apexi avcr? Iv always had the black edition on my cars and have a spare one sitting in the garage

Also what boost do these run stock? Im guessing mine would spike at the minute with the decat hence why im going to drive it off boost

Thanks for the help guys
Old 30 December 2010, 12:02 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well i hope you got it cheap, its advertised as a 2005 but is in fact a 2004 model, and personally I would have left it alone, especially with that decat, god knows what damage has been done to the pistons whilst its been running that, the hypereuetic (sp) pistons dont like det, they are very hard and brittle due to the way they are made, they are strong for the engine but any prolonged det and it can crack them leaving you with a big bill

I would get the car health checked before getting it mapped, you can ask the wales boys where they get their cars mapped/serviced (just see their forum on here), and no, not worth putting the apexi on, the standard ecu will eat it for breakfast (its far superior).

Tony
Old 30 December 2010, 12:11 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there at first bin the Induction kit(if you have still OE airbox,buy just K&Nor Green Cotton panel filter),if not drive until remap off the boost(if this guy sold you car with induction kit without proper tune/remap you will need invest around 300£-650£ for remap).If you gave fitted aftermarket exhaust you will need Remap.
For remap you will contact here Duncan@Race Dynamix or JGM which are mobile and will come to you.

For boost gauge you have look for Prosport Stepper Gauge
http://www.xyberautos.com/catalog/default.php

About the AVC-R,you don't need any boost controller,because your ECU have very good boost control(up to 1.55bar,some run 1.7bar),until you are want go for bigger BHP and at this stage you will need aftermarket ECU like Simtek,Syvecs/Solaris,Motec M800,GEMS G4 or other

Jura
Old 30 December 2010, 12:16 AM
dbiagioni
Scooby Newbie

Default Scooby

Yes it was cheap enough.

It runs better then the 2 uk spec cars i viewed. No knocks bangs rattles smoke etc

Exhaust and induction kit has been on there for 600 miles max most of which is off boost
Old 30 December 2010, 12:28 AM
sharpy2010
Scooby Regular

Well, so the guy who sold it said ;-)

Having said that, welcome, lets hope its a good'un!

Like Tony said, its a 2004 model (No DCCD or wide-track)

Enjoy it!
Old 30 December 2010, 01:11 AM
dbiagioni
Scooby Newbie

Default scooby

I guessed it was a 2003 or 2004 when i viewed it.

Import cars are sometimes mixed up when uk registered. In mr2s iv seen a 91 car on a 2000 and a 94 on a 91.

I will try and get the car checked over tomorrow, hopefully all is ok, i dont fancy doing a homebrew forged build again
Old 30 December 2010, 01:18 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Well i hope you got it cheap, its advertised as a 2005 but is in fact a 2004 model ...
Yeah, noticed that it's not got the wider track at the back arches which came in for the MY05 models.

TX.
Old 30 December 2010, 08:49 AM
bunsofsteeeel
Scooby Regular

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

still a nice looking motor mate love it!
Old 30 December 2010, 09:25 AM
Markfey
Scooby Regular

Speak to cp autos. They're just over the bridge. They've looked after me for over ten years and three different imprezas.
Old 30 December 2010, 03:27 PM
dbiagioni
Scooby Newbie

Default Scooby

A few updates.

Iv been a bit busy today. Got the car to a garage today to get it looked over. All seems in order. They did mention it looks to have had its turbo replaced recently, its marked up as an ihi vf37 is that the normal turbo for the jdm? All the fuids look fresh and no momevent yet I will still need the engine checked over at some point and ecu read incase there are any errors showing up there but dont know who to take it to yet. The jumping speedo is now sorted and was down to a loose connection

I noticed the shocks were pink with red springs. Are they the stock ones? Love the colour

I fitted the passenger side wind deflector as the old owner had it nicked off the car but he had given me a new pair. Also put some new wiper blades on it and gave it a clean. Oh heres a pic with that deflector fitted

I have been on the phone about getting the car mapped, and it will be done mid next week (all driving off boost till then)

The car has marks and stonechips on it so I have been over to my mates graphics units to look at wraps and he will wrap it for me at cost of material. Im tempted to wrap it in the 3M carbon vinyl but materials come to £1000 for the whole car or £400 for normal vinyl. My other option is a full respray in stock colour which is £600 through a different mate. Not sure whether to go for one of these or live with the marks

Im also a bit confused on the transmission side. When im driving it i have left it showing dccd auto. Iv notied there is a dccd man button near the handbrake. Iv pressed this with the car in neutral and it goes to lock mode, then the cdiff wheel button can scroll up and down from the lock position. What are these used for and whats the best setting to have the car in. I havent driven it in anything apart from auto.
Old 30 December 2010, 04:45 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

VF37 is the correct turbo for your car, the VF36 is the roller bearing version fitted to the Spec C

Right, have a look in the tech archive section for the dccd thread (its at the bottom of the page) that will give you all the info on what it does, keep the wheel all the way back (just roll it back) when not in use otherwise when you change from auto to manual you will go straight to lock, best on the bottom green until the weather gets bad or leave it in auto

Tony
Old 30 December 2010, 05:01 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice car mate. Arent the JDM Blob's twin scroll?
Old 30 December 2010, 08:36 PM
seraphSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks nice! Welcome to the forums
Old 30 December 2010, 09:04 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Again welcome to the forum, as I said on the Wales section pop along to one of our meets.

If it puts your mind at rest and as I live local to you, if you want I can plug my laptop with Ecutek Deltadash in and check for faults current or historic, AFR's and a load of other features as well.

Plus of course you can have a ride in my Spec C and see what a remapped JDM is like.

Drop me a PM and we can arrange, no charge as well.