Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple of quick questions if you don't mind please!

Search this Thread

Old 15 November 2010, 05:59 PM
sharpy2010
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple of quick questions if you don't mind please!

Hi all :-)

Could you give me the benefit of your vast experience over these couple of quick questions please (Car is a 2005 Blob STi)?

1) What should the tyre pressure in my tyres be? They were all around 26-28psi, so I've ramped them up to 32psi at each corner. Is this acceptable?

2) What will happen if I keep driving round on a knocking left rear shock?

3) How is a remap done if it isn't on a rolling road? I don't fancy barrelling round at illegal speeds whilst the engine map is modded. Can it be done standing still? Sorry for stupid question, I just have no idea how a remap is performed!

Thanks!!!
Chris
Old 15 November 2010, 06:05 PM
wrx287
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sharpy2010

Could you give me the benefit of your vast experience over these couple of quick questions please (Car is a 2005 Blob STi)?

1) What should the tyre pressure in my tyres be? They were all around 26-28psi, so I've ramped them up to 32psi at each corner. Is this acceptable?

3) How is a remap done if it isn't on a rolling road? I don't fancy barrelling round at illegal speeds whilst the engine map is modded. Can it be done standing still? Sorry for stupid question, I just have no idea how a remap is performed!

Thanks!!!
Chris
I run my tyres at 30psi all round.
As for the shock,i would get it changed if thats what the knock is.
As for mapping,most will do it on the road via a laptop. Some mappers will use a rolling road for tweaks and mapping. Just depends if they have a RR available.
Old 15 November 2010, 07:15 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Tyre pressure: mines a classic and runs 34 front 32 rear, on 17" wheels.
Shocker: get it changed, won't do damage, but MIGHT effect handling and braking.
Mapping: on the road, it's an experience Also supposedly better than on an RR.
Old 15 November 2010, 07:20 PM
Dougmy06wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my car mapped on the road i would say it makes the car drive better as it's under real world conditions. Although there.will be benefits to rolling road aswel. I'm just going by my experience.

Doug
Old 15 November 2010, 07:31 PM
Luckyscoob
Scooby Regular

Tyres 30psi all round.

Mapping: I had mine done on the road and to be fair apart from a couple of rapid sprints you dont end up hooning it around. If it was too bad, these guys couldnt make a living. You definatley wont regret a remap
Old 15 November 2010, 09:13 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Mine says 2.3 bar F and 1.9 bar rear... I add 3 psi at both ends unless it's deep snow.

A few strong pulls in third gear is nothing, you wouldn't admit to on a forum...

It's better to check the boost control in top gear as well, but you must know of a quiet bit of dual carriageway somewhere ?

dunx

P.S. It's also fun feeling the car get better with each tweak...

Last edited by dunx; 15 November 2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old 15 November 2010, 09:24 PM
Dougmy06wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep I'll second that, feel it every time it gets tweaked getting better. Bring on next year when I go for the next remap above 300bhp. Good times!!!
Old 15 November 2010, 10:00 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sharpy2010

Thanks!!!
Chris
1) There should be a sticker on the driver's door frame with the tyre pressures on but 30psi all round until you find out will be fine.

2) Ask Mystic Meg, but getting it looked at probably is a good idea

3) A remap on a rolling road or on the road ideally wants the engine under full load from 3000rpm to the redline in all gears from 3rd up. This can be an issue on the road, and I certainly would not be happy with a road mapping session where only 3rd gear was used. To do it properly would obviously require you to do speeds in excess of 140mph to check the boost/fuelling/timing in top gear. Not a problem for me or the mapper in my case (or was it?).

Kevin
Old 15 November 2010, 10:18 PM
f4la k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by c_maguire
1) There should be a sticker on the driver's door frame with the tyre pressures on but 30psi all round until you find out will be fine.

2) Ask Mystic Meg, but getting it looked at probably is a good idea

3) A remap on a rolling road or on the road ideally wants the engine under full load from 3000rpm to the redline in all gears from 3rd up. This can be an issue on the road, and I certainly would not be happy with a road mapping session where only 3rd gear was used. To do it properly would obviously require you to do speeds in excess of 140mph to check the boost/fuelling/timing in top gear. Not a problem for me or the mapper in my case (or was it?).

Kevin

I take it youve never had a car mapped on a rd. Andy f maps my car and never has it been near 140 mph. So basically your saying he cant map scoobs properly . Individual boost setting for each gears and a couple of power runs up a slip rd putting some load on the car. Simtek supplied fitted and 2 maps done in just over an hour, 1st map v-power and 2nd map v-power and 25% meth 410bhp..

P.s whos your mapper if you dont mind me asking..
Old 15 November 2010, 10:31 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f4la k

I take it youve never had a car mapped on a rd. Andy f maps my car and never has it been near 140 mph. So basically your saying he cant map scoobs properly . Individual boost setting for each gears and a couple of power runs up a slip rd putting some load on the car. Simtek supplied fitted and 2 maps done in just over an hour, 1st map v-power and 2nd map v-power and 25% meth 410bhp..

P.s whos your mapper if you dont mind me asking..
I guess when my current car was mapped on the dyno and the mapper ran it to the redline under full load in 3rd, 4th and 5th he was just swinging the lead to fleece me of a bit more cash. If only I'd known I would have told him to stop taking the mick.
Do you think Andy F maps his apparently 210mph Impreza by just giving it a quick blast down a slip road in 3rd gear? Unlikely I imagine. Road or private airfield, I expect it's been ragged through all the gears.
And yes, I have had a car road mapped.

Kevin
Old 15 November 2010, 10:31 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

With regards to the mapping and possible high speeds, mine has only been mapped on the rollers. the engines requirements for fuel and ignition in relation to the boost curve are no different from gear to gear. Using a higher gear only slows the process, mine gets mapped in third gear then a final check done in fourth to verify settings.

Last edited by 360ste; 15 November 2010 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Oops a bit too much vodka in my coke.
Old 16 November 2010, 03:44 AM
sharpy2010
Scooby Regular

Brilliant, appreciate all the feedback and info, as always a load of knowledgeable guys on here !

I do definitely want to get a remap done, but it won't be until I've got a few choice mods on there in addition to how it is now. I still want/need a Walbro 255, Sport Cat, and.. thats it I think. Its already got a decat, a Nur Spec R, and an aftermarket air induction kit.

Should see me up to the level I want to be at, anyway, which would be 320bhp or so!