Sponsored by:

bird in engine?????????

Search this Thread

Old 23 October 2010, 08:44 AM
stonk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bird in engine?????????

mornin all started my 99 2000 turbo wagon, this mornin and after a few seconds it sounded like theres a bird cherpin in the engine . its done this before but when the revs pick up it stopped. but this morning it done the same but carried on going down the road. ive been getting a lot of clicking comeing through the radio and when the indicators on the clock flashes . could the squeck be to do with the alternator. ive had a look when i heard the noise and it seemed to be coming from the cam belt, on the battery side of car but this may be wrong. and probobly is
Old 23 October 2010, 09:50 AM
awdx4
Scooby Regular

Might be worth letting it idle then turn the air con on, listen, turn off, listen. I had something similar with a Forester, it was coming from the aircon. The clicking is poor suppression somewhere or bad earthing most likely.

Regards

Tim
Old 23 October 2010, 10:56 AM
stonk
Scooby Regular

thanks there is no air con on my model, i read on site about suppresion ill have a look , also are the earthing kits any use .cheers stonk
Old 23 October 2010, 11:17 AM
awdx4
Scooby Regular

Earthing kits and the suchlike can be useful, but in my own opinion I'd rather save the cash for something else and tidy the earthing up on the car to restore its efficiency to original spec by going round the car and cleaning up all the factory fitted bonding points. Obviously if it's a right pain reinstating them to an acceptable condition then additional bonding kits can be an answer. If you have a simple multimeter it's quite easy to measure resistance between the chassis/ground/negative of an item in respect of how much resistance there is between it and the chassis of the car. A reading of .5 of an OHM or below is what one can consider as a low resistance, which is achievable.

The noise in the absence of air con, could be all manner of things from something resonating the sound, like maybe the turbo shield or bracket attached elsewhere which when warm tightens through expansion or an escape of pressurised gasses somewhere. I'm sure there are plenty of folks here with more experience than I with such noises, which are always difficult to identify from just a written description.

Tim
Old 23 October 2010, 01:44 PM
stonk
Scooby Regular

thanks tim looked a few earthing kits but not for me the squeak, is one im going to have to trace .then ill post on here for help the alternator belt needs changing it looks worn out ill start there. cheers stonk
Old 23 October 2010, 02:05 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Alternator belt is what it could deffo be, mine squeaked once on startup this morning, first time since last winter.
Old 23 October 2010, 02:09 PM
cronic1
Scooby Regular

i saw an advert once with a squeek in blokes car n after have car fully checked over it turned out to be the passengers ear ring....
Old 23 October 2010, 05:49 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Souds like your alternator belt and or power steering belt needs either tightening or replacing..
Old 23 October 2010, 06:33 PM
stonk
Scooby Regular

yipeee i started it up again from cold and yep its the belt aright some of the ribs are broken worn out thanks all stonk