Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel gauge now working. . I think?

Search this Thread

Old 17 October 2010, 01:14 PM
scotty_b
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel gauge now working. . I think?

Ok stick with me on this one, I have purchased my first impreza and loving it!! Its an 05 UK STi PPP. Picked it up Wednesday checked through all paperwork etc etc all good ticked the right boxes.

So picked it up it had 3/4 of a tank of petrol. So its down to 1/4 so just popped to put some in. Put £45 in although still reading 1/4? This was about 30 mins ago? As left it just incase was a little slow? Reading though the receipts etc couple of days ago again and noticed just over a month ago was taken into local garage and had (I quote) 'i had the uprated Prodrive fuel pump and tank leveller fitted at EMG Subaru, this cost £750'. Now like I said im a newbie so though great but could this be causing the problem?

Any help etc more than welcome!

Scotty
Old 17 October 2010, 01:26 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Well I can only speak for the classic, but if it's the same yes the fuel level sender is attached to the same mount as the fuel pump in the tank. I put a Walbro pump on mine and you had to be careful not to foul the sender when removing it and the pump from the tank and when replacing it. Woudl be quite easy to leave it obstructed and hence stuck in the one position I think.
Old 17 October 2010, 02:12 PM
scotty_b
Scooby Regular

Ok it gets worse! Oh well! Just been out and the EML is on constant? Just dug out the receipt from EMG in Cambridge and it's had fuel pump and tank sensor replaced costing £736! Now this was only 260 miles ago and just over a month so I'm giving them a call in the morning but just wondering if it's this that could throw up the fault
Old 17 October 2010, 02:57 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

I guess it could be , but sounds unlikely. I wouldn't drive it with the EML on except to take it to a dealer so they can run a diganostic test.

One thing though, you said it was PPP ... therefore if I am right it should already have had the uprated fuel pump.

Think you need to get it chekced out and research its history a little to find out the whole story. Hopefully it will be something or nothing, but pays to be careful with these engines.
Old 17 October 2010, 03:07 PM
scotty_b
Scooby Regular

it had a replacement PPP fuel pump its on the receipt. Anyone know where i can get it diagnosed in Northampton at all?
Old 17 October 2010, 03:19 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Sorry mate, your opening post didn't make it sound like a replacement.

Anyway these guys can definitely help you out:

Zen Performance
Old 18 October 2010, 10:55 AM
scotty_b
Scooby Regular

Sorry F1_fan if my thread was a bit lacking in sense!! Had been a long weekend!! But thank you for your time to post a reply and help me out.

Booked into Zen for this afternoon so will go see what the main man says! Fingers crossed!!

Oh and now my fuel gauge shows just under full finally!!! : ) Think I've got myself a scoob with character!! ha ha
Old 18 October 2010, 10:58 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scotty_b
Sorry F1_fan if my thread was a bit lacking in sense!! Had been a long weekend!! But thank you for your time to post a reply and help me out.

Booked into Zen for this afternoon so will go see what the main man says! Fingers crossed!!

Oh and now my fuel gauge shows just under full finally!!! : ) Think I've got myself a scoob with character!! ha ha
No worries, hope you get it sorted and that it is a simple fix.
Old 18 October 2010, 03:46 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

the 05 has Two level senders (floats on sticks with a resistive track), cos the tank is split into Two halfs either side of the trans tunnel. One tank flows into the other so one sender does 0 to 1/2 tank and the other 1/2 to full tank.
A quick check using a multimeter will show up the faulty one.
Be aware though these can mess up and fix themselves. my 03 showed 1/2 tank when full until I drove till the light came on then refilled-fixed itself. Put it down to muck on the carbon track.

dipster
Old 18 October 2010, 08:29 PM
scotty_b
Scooby Regular

Well funny you say that!! This morning the fuel gauge read correct. EML still on so drove steadily to work. Called and booked Zen. Left work and no engine light and not been on since? Strange so still went as worth getting these things checked and he checked history and there was an error with the fuel leveller but cleared itself. Fingers crossed if not will get sorted as like my cars to be spotless and fault free!!