Tyres -best all rounder for front of misses 54 plate fiesta

Search this Thread

Old 06 October 2010, 10:53 AM
Dan W
Scooby Regular

Location: Secretly saving for another Blobeye STI. Crystal Grey. Widetrack
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tyres -best all rounder for front of misses 54 plate fiesta

They wear down so bloody quick its worse than on my scooby.

I want something that will handle well and be long lasting. Price dont matter -its the misses and she be worth it.
Size I looking at is 195 50 R15

Opinions welcome.
Old 06 October 2010, 11:14 AM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

TOYO T1R from Camskill in that size is only £29.10, a good tyre. Got them (205/50/16) on my Focus runabout and they grip well and are have done 15k and fronts were still had 4mm tread all over when I swapped front to rear, track set to 1mm toe out. Have you checked the tracking, I'd expect fronts on a car like that to last 25k plus.
Old 06 October 2010, 12:03 PM
Dan W
Scooby Regular

The T1r is a good tyre. I've had T1r and T1s in the past on my first Impreza.

To be honest I ought to get the tracking checked.
I've ordered tyres from camskill before aswell. £29.50 aint bad at all.
Old 06 October 2010, 12:06 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was gonna say T1R too. I managed 25k+ when i had them on my Scoob
Old 06 October 2010, 01:21 PM
Gigsy
Scooby Regular

Having had them on a few cars now (Subarus and non-Subarus), I find T1Rs are a bit floppy - sidewals are a touch too soft for my liking. They're by no means a bad tyre but there are other tyres out there for the same money which I prefer (having said that, £29.50 each for the Proxes is not to be sniffed at!).

I'm a big fan of the Kumho KU31 Ecsta SPTs at the moment (lots of grip wet or dry, good directional stability, turn in response, braking, etc). Did 11k pretty hard miles on a Forester XT with a set and they were only down to 6mm all round. I'm currently running them on a Cooper S as well and they're pretty good on that too .

I've just put a set of BFGoodrich gForce Profiler on the WRX at my tyre guys recommendation - they're owned by Michelin and use a very similar tread compound by all accounts. They need to scrub in a bit more yet but first impressions are good.

Definitely get the alignment checked (a full geometry check if poss... i.e. camber too).
Old 06 October 2010, 01:28 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Another Vote for Camskill, also try these

http://www.topgeartyres.co.uk/

Rob ;-)
Old 06 October 2010, 01:31 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

kumhos kh31 £33 each
firestone tz300 £35 each

the firestones seems to be my best seller tbh on the fiestas
Old 06 October 2010, 01:41 PM
robpal
Scooby Newbie

Default here's the route i now go down

hey Dan W, recently i've been getting part worns from a local reputable garage and they are well worth considering

After scouring all ther sites for a mid range set i went to the local tyre place initally for my mondeo and got 2 firestones with as new tread for £10 a piece

I've just been for the vectra which are '215 55 r16' and payed £20 a piece (fitted and balanced) and got a continental and a pireli which again have 3 qtr tread

i couldn't get a brand such as continental/pirelli for less than £130 a piece new !!!

Old 06 October 2010, 01:56 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by robpal
hey Dan W, recently i've been getting part worns from a local reputable garage and they are well worth considering

After scouring all ther sites for a mid range set i went to the local tyre place initally for my mondeo and got 2 firestones with as new tread for £10 a piece

I've just been for the vectra which are '215 55 r16' and payed £20 a piece (fitted and balanced) and got a continental and a pireli which again have 3 qtr tread

i couldn't get a brand such as continental/pirelli for less than £130 a piece new !!!

Old 06 October 2010, 02:12 PM
robpal
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by M444GY

Course, mention part worns near a new tyre seller and they'll tell you all the horror stories in the world because they want you to buy brand new shiny tyres for a pretty penny - just like when you take a punctured tyre in and they say oooh is it worth repairing it cause its worn...errr well yes cause a repair is £10 and a new tyre is £110

if you honestly believe that you have to get brand new tyres off the shelf to be safe then your talkling out your a*rse and are very small minded

If your on a budget your much better getting decent branded part worns than budget, no name new ones
Old 06 October 2010, 02:26 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Course, mention part worns near a new tyre seller and they'll tell you all the horror stories in the world because they want you to buy brand new shiny tyres for a pretty penny - just like when you take a punctured tyre in and they say oooh is it worth repairing it cause its worn...errr well yes cause a repair is £10 and a new tyre is £110

if you honestly believe that you have to get brand new tyres off the shelf to be safe then your talkling out your a*rse and are very small minded

If your on a budget your much better getting decent branded part worns than budget, no name new ones

whatever mate . i always repair a tyre if its repairable and in a safe place on the tyre as im not kwic**** or a bull****ter .

how the f*ck do you know where your super duper partworn has come from and what kind of driving it has had through it ?

so new tyres arnt safe now either, fair enough you have had great experiances with buying second hand stuff, but i see partworn tyres every week that have been bought to save a few quid then blown out on the road or failed in some way due to it being fractured inner cords or damage to the bracing .

i dont push new tyres onto anyone , they come in and get what they ask for wether it be a budget or a top brand

and to say that im talking out of my *** then its your opinion mate but i see it week in week out people like you who buy this **** and have problems .

plus the guy who started the thread said there is no expence spared in his tyre buying s i think partworns are off the menu
Old 06 October 2010, 02:52 PM
Shiver
Scooby Regular

That's a great post to have as your 6th one ever... Usually the less confrontational a post is the better on a friendly forum like Scoobynet.

Partworn's are never they way forward... why do you think they were £10 each, cos they're not worth anything more than that! Also, another friendly word of advice, mismatching tyres is generally a bad idea. Trust the professionals.
Old 06 October 2010, 02:55 PM
NAF
Support Scoobynet!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dunlop SP sport fast response
Old 06 October 2010, 02:57 PM
NAF
Support Scoobynet!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New and not part worn I mean
Old 06 October 2010, 02:59 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Try Kingsway Tyres, ask about Daytons.

Decent tyre, and a lifetime guarantee, free puncture repairs and if it's not repairable, money off a new one or a new one free depending on wear.
Old 06 October 2010, 03:07 PM
robpal
Scooby Newbie

i'm not stereotyping all tyrefitters, but alot i have visited want to push a new tyre their a buisness and it's profit

Are you honestly saying that you see more part worn tyres every week that explode or are damaged than 1 user tyres ??

Shiver - Lets be realistic when you say Partworn's are never they way forward mismatching tyres is generally a bad idea. Trust the professionals.
This may be true of fast drivers who push their car to the limits but do you honestly think most people would ever notice if they have a pireli and a continental your having a laugh

Why do i think part worn tyres are so cheap compared to new - why is a car £25,000 new and then £2000 some years later - should we never buy a used car because it could be dangerous

you have your opinion and i'll have mine - but i tell you now given the choice of 4 x budget no name new tyres and a set of part worn branded i know what i'd be doing and i'd have more confidence on that first wet roundabout.

oh and i see this as a debate which is what forums are about several peoples opinions coming together none of them being fact so don't be getting all serious bout this being a friendly forum - i'm very friendly
Old 06 October 2010, 06:27 PM
P1 Daveyboy
Scooby Regular

Part worn to me are never a good idea even if you drive like miss daisy. The problem with part worn is you do not know who had the main use out of them before you got them. The side walls could be weak due to hard wear into corners and roundabouts. You only get a limited time to run part worn as well, new tyres give a longer life and the walls are new and stronger as well
You might want to read this http://www.etyres.co.uk/uk-tyre-law from a tyre dealer as well
As regarding fitting part worn anyway i would never do that
I value my family and my life to much to trust it to a £10 piece of rubber

Somthing like this could come from a £10 piece of rubber

Shiver
Scooby Regular

Funny this thread should appear. Good luck with resolving the handling
https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...-required.html
Shiver
Scooby Regular

... (double post)

Last edited by Shiver; 06 October 2010 at 06:29 PM.
Old 06 October 2010, 06:49 PM
Budgie
Scooby Regular

after reading this thread and following Shivers link
i have come to the conclusion you are a ++++
Maggy offers fair advice for free
and new tyres at fair prices
do not buy part worns if you value your life
would you buy a second hand crash helmet
or a used child car seat?
btw, i did an oil change last month
do you want the old stuff for a fiver, can post
Old 06 October 2010, 07:06 PM
robpal
Scooby Newbie

Well you seem like the people who believe all the hype, so yeah i'll probably have the old oil cause its prob been in there a couple of k and as good as new but u did it cause it will now run even better with new oil

would i buy a 2nd hand crash helmet - no its a personal item which molds to the users head shape and directly protects the head

would i use a used child seat - of course i would you t*t i take it u dont have children and dont know what your taking bout here- its a piece of polystyrene that a child sits on, a quick visual inspection would tell if it is ok or not - its called common sense

u lot sound like a bunch of faries with your used tyres equals death bloody hell are you aware that petrol is combustable and could ignite or set fire you best trade in for a brand new electric car

DONT BUY A USED ONE CAUSE IT COULD HAVE BEEN CRASHED AND COVERED UP OR DRIVEN HARD ROUND BENDS - DO U VALUE YOUR FAMILIES LIVES !!!!

yeah sounds daft doesnt it come on get a grip
Old 06 October 2010, 08:16 PM
Dan W
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the input chaps.

Robpal- I cant criticise you for you suggestion that part worns might be a good deal but as I am putting them on my girlfriend's car I simply won't take the chance. I accept that many part worns are absolutely fine but when it comes to the misses I'll be getting new ones. I appreciate your input all the same.

Thanks M44GY for the advice and offer.

I live in South Wales so you are a bit far away to come and buy some off you.

Ironically I used to live in Uxbridge.

I will probably use Camskill as i have used them before and they have a local delivery/shop/unit whatever about 15 minutes away.

Thanks again.
Old 06 October 2010, 08:21 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Dan W
Thanks for the input chaps.

Robpal- I cant criticise you for you suggestion that part worns might be a good deal but as I am putting them on my girlfriend's car I simply won't take the chance. I accept that many part worns are absolutely fine but when it comes to the misses I'll be getting new ones. I appreciate your input all the same.

Thanks M44GY for the advice and offer.

I live in South Wales so you are a bit far away to come and buy some off you.

Ironically I used to live in Uxbridge.

I will probably use Camskill as i have used them before and they have a local delivery/shop/unit whatever about 15 minutes away.

Thanks again.

No worries dan
Old 06 October 2010, 08:26 PM
Budgie
Scooby Regular

Well you seem like the people who believe all the hype, so yeah i'll probably have the old oil cause its prob been in there a couple of k and as good as new but u did it cause it will now run even better with new oil

would i buy a 2nd hand crash helmet - no its a personal item which molds to the users head shape and directly protects the head

would i use a used child seat - of course i would you t*t i take it u dont have children and dont know what your taking bout here- its a piece of polystyrene that a child sits on, a quick visual inspection would tell if it is ok or not - its called common sense

u lot sound like a bunch of faries with your used tyres equals death bloody hell are you aware that petrol is combustable and could ignite or set fire you best trade in for a brand new electric car

DONT BUY A USED ONE CAUSE IT COULD HAVE BEEN CRASHED AND COVERED UP OR DRIVEN HARD ROUND BENDS - DO U VALUE YOUR FAMILIES LIVES !!!!

yeah sounds daft doesnt it come on get a grip
RTFM knobber
Old 06 October 2010, 08:47 PM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Can I just add my pennies worth now Budgie and Robpal have finished flirting. lol

For money and bang for buck buddy here's the brands and types I have used I would go for again. Falken and Toyo.

I put a set of Falken 452 on my Subaru 2.0i Sport and they were fab. Excellent for the money and the tread lasted forever.

I now have out a set of Toyo Proxes CFS1 on my other halfs Focus 1.6 in the same size tyre. In the Wet they are brill so with the winter coming up they won't let you down for a FWD car.

I did have a set of Firestone Firehawks years ago and thought they were good but the tyres have moved on since then.

Scary to think the P6000 are rated so well at Kwick Fit.

Steve
Old 06 October 2010, 09:02 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

p6000s are a fooking old pattern well over 10 years but are still produced , funny you mention that steve on the subject of partworns lol i had a guy come in today with a p5000 that he had bought as a partworn and he wanted me to fit it , it was hard as a rock lo must have been well over 10 years oldl i havnt seen one of them for years.

i told him it would be unwise to do so and he got in a huff and walked off . id emagine if it does get fitted it will dicintergrate , clueless ****
Old 06 October 2010, 09:23 PM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by M444GY
p6000s are a fooking old pattern well over 10 years but are still produced , funny you mention that steve on the subject of partworns lol i had a guy come in today with a p5000 that he had bought as a partworn and he wanted me to fit it , it was hard as a rock lo must have been well over 10 years oldl i havnt seen one of them for years.

i told him it would be unwise to do so and he got in a huff and walked off . id emagine if it does get fitted it will dicintergrate , clueless ****
Sure it wasn't you that just put him off?

I have kept x1 P6000 for a spare if anything happend to get me by but as you say it's a dated pattern. But if he turns up again put him my way for some tapping up.

I have to admit that the CFS1 Toyo's are really good. Still uses the Proxes type of technology but for a fraction of the cost.

Steve
Old 06 October 2010, 09:28 PM
Gigsy
Scooby Regular

Personally, I can't see why anyone would want to take a chance on the only bit of the car that touches the road especially as you don't need to spend silly money to get a reasonable set of tyres.
Old 06 October 2010, 09:53 PM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gigsy
Personally, I can't see why anyone would want to take a chance on the only bit of the car that touches the road especially as you don't need to spend silly money to get a reasonable set of tyres.
+ 1

Hence why the Toyo and Falkens are the better end of the budget/bang for buck option matey.

Steve
Old 07 October 2010, 11:45 AM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

hence why i sell loads of them as they are a good brand for good money

Quick Reply: Tyres -best all rounder for front of misses 54 plate fiesta