Sponsored by:

Subaru Handling - real drivers input required

Search this Thread

Old 06 October 2010, 01:28 PM
robpal
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subaru Handling - real drivers input required

Hey guys can you help the missues got a 2002 GX sport coming from a vectra 1.8ls and she's concerened that in the wet on roundabouts it slides and she looses it doing the same speed that the vectra did and didn't slip or slide,

I've checked the tyres and there is a barum and a continental on the back and a wanli and somet else on the front - all have ample grip left.

Do awd subarus have a tendency to slide or do mismatched tyres do them no justice - i mean i might expect one wheel to slip but the rear has what i'd call good tyres !!

Can anyone add there own personal experience of scoobs in the wet compared to fwds
Old 06 October 2010, 01:35 PM
Curtis450
Scooby Regular

Much better, with decent quality tyres on you can really give them some and corner at speed and they stick, they certainly dont slip out, they may slide depending how fast you want to go lol. Some roundabouts are terrible though and have a smooth finish witch is really slippery and most cars will slide on that surface.

They do under steer a fair bit without a rear anti roll bar also. But judging one from a fwd or something else, yes they are defo a much better car for the wet.
Old 06 October 2010, 03:46 PM
awdx4
Scooby Regular

I'd imagine the tyre combination is a big downfall, with what's currently on that car. I've not long owned my Impreza, and it sticks to the road very well. Before I got the latest car, I owned a Forester which had different tyres front and rear, and shortly after I got that, I nearly stacked it on a roundabout in the wet after opening the 2.0 turbo to the max, and was only saved by aiming the front end where it ought to be going and giving it another foot-full.

I changed all four tyres, which was a bit sad, as the ones that were on it when I bought it were pretty new, but mismatched front to rear. The car drove fantastically after that and certainly got me and my family out of a few scrapes during the further 3 years of owning that car. Might also be worth checking that the suspension is how it should be on all four corners, I've seen vehicles go through MOT's with one odd shocker which can be totally dangerous when under real load.

all the best

Tim
Old 06 October 2010, 04:08 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

It's illegal in France and some other EC states to have different tyres on the same axle. There is a good reason for that

Get some decent tyres, preferably a full set.
Toyos perform well and aren't too dear.
Old 06 October 2010, 04:12 PM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

if the geometry is out as well then combined with the mismatch of budget tyres you will be all over the place tbh
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

as already has been said get some decent tyres on all corners, could be worth getting a decent 4 wheel aligment as well just to make sure the wheels are all pointing in the right direction too !
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by robpal
Hey guys can you help the missues got a 2002 GX sport coming from a vectra 1.8ls and she's concerened that in the wet on roundabouts it slides and she looses it doing the same speed that the vectra did and didn't slip or slide,

I've checked the tyres and there is a barum and a continental on the back and a wanli and somet else on the front - all have ample grip left.

Do awd subarus have a tendency to slide or do mismatched tyres do them no justice - i mean i might expect one wheel to slip but the rear has what i'd call good tyres !!

Can anyone add there own personal experience of scoobs in the wet compared to fwds
Mismatched tyres on any car will affect the handling get a decent set of the same tyres all round with the right pressures and this should improve things - dependant on mileage the suspension might well want looking at as well as the geometry which could also be out or wrong.

Trending Topics

Old 06 October 2010, 05:46 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Different grip levels from different (cheap) tyres, normally they would put you in a ditch or hedge, so its important to have good quality tyres on the car, not be too agressive in the wet (more grip but you can still lose traction just as easily as a fwd or rwd car), and just be more progressive with the power (shouldnt be a problem with a 2ltr GX though )

Tony
Old 06 October 2010, 06:18 PM
wrx9181
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

it could be a number of things mate or a combination of a few
Old 06 October 2010, 07:12 PM
robpal
Scooby Newbie

cheers guys sounds like the tyres then, these were on when we bought the car, prob get a new set
Old 06 October 2010, 07:24 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by robpal
cheers guys sounds like the tyres then, these were on when we bought the car, prob get a new set

I would..............before your wife is in an accident.
Old 06 October 2010, 07:56 PM
D4VID
Scooby Newbie

Mine is fab in the wet. Goodyear Eagle F1's make a huge difference
Old 06 October 2010, 08:03 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

better get some new tyres buddy
Old 06 October 2010, 08:07 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Does it have a rear ARB, not all sports do

Sounds like rubbish tyres are partly to blame also, not a fan of either brand you mention.