Sponsored by:

Fatal Accident in Worcs

Search this Thread

Old 11 March 2001, 04:18 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Gents....your attention please...I have just recieved a phone call from my mother who told me of a serious accident on the Malvern to Worcester Rd within the last day or so.....
a pregnant woman and her unborn child were killed after a collision with a scoob driven by a white male.....
Thoughts with the families but I hope its not one of our friends with the scoob so if the local owners know of anything please post......sorry to dampen everyones weekend but I'd like everyone from the area to "check in "......
Old 11 March 2001, 05:25 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Hi Richard,

Not me M8 - Your news sent a chill down my spine (I was the guy with his wife and child at the last meet - silver 5dr). My thoughts are with the people in question.

Any more details? I know of an 'older' chap who lives around that area (A4103 to Hereford) who drives a white 5dr turbo... sometimes see him on the way to Hereford....

Have you been in touch with Listers? They may know something.....

Regards

Dan
Old 11 March 2001, 06:02 PM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

Its really sad when you hear this kind of news My thoughts are with them!!!

Nath
Old 11 March 2001, 06:06 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Dan - no mate I have been up to Brum for the wkend and now I'm back in Bicester so I havent got in contact with anyone....
I have no more details other than it was an Impreza - no idea what sort.....still got the sick feeling in the pit of my stomach.....lets just be careful out there

Old 11 March 2001, 07:24 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

gotta drive down that road early in the morning....

What a somber thought....

Dan
Old 11 March 2001, 07:36 PM
Fizz
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

Sad news. Not been in the area this weekend but it is still very upsetting. Keep them peeled for damaged scoobs then!
Old 11 March 2001, 07:38 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Accident happened just up the road (about 400 yards) from my house. I heard/saw the aftermath (sirens etc.)

This is the third fatal accident on this road in the past few years. The council keep saying it is nothing to do with the design of the road, but having seen many accidents on this road, I'm 100% sure it is. The road is just too wide and people feel they can overtake down the middle even with oncoming traffic.

The short section of dual-carrigeway at Powick also boosts traffic speeds heading Malvern way from Worcester. It is also the first national speed limit section after leaving Worcester, so people tend to floor it down here regardless of the fact that there are several road junctions. I myself was rear-ended while trying to turn into Bastonford by someone coming down the hill too quickly and not realising I was doing about 10mph to make the turn.

Again, the council are saying they will now look again at the road layout. It is single carrigeway now, but used to have a middle lane (suicide lane) but now it is a single but each lane is almost wide enough for two cars.

No doubt they will put down more red paint/chevrons (Worcestershire favorite at the moment) but people are already over-taking on the stuff that was laid down after the multiple fatal last year.

As for the driver of the Scooby, don't know, he was released from Ronkswood and the paper said he was driving a Subaru Impreza, but didn't say "turbo, big powered rally rep." as they don't go for sensational headlines in the local rag. so no idea.

Sorry ? Yes, Surprised, No

Reason I bought a turbo 4WD car was so I could get out into this fast moving traffic without risking being hit. Even so, I can still wait 5 - 10 minutes in rush hour to get onto this road as all the traffic is doing silly speeds.

Cheers

Ian
Old 11 March 2001, 09:27 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Story here:
Old 12 March 2001, 08:30 AM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

Very sad news....

It sounds just like the sort of place where speed cameras ought to be used.... but painted bright yellow with big warning signs everywhere

Dave
Old 12 March 2001, 12:28 PM
schuey
Scooby Regular

The last report I heard/read was along these lines.
Both cars were travelling in the same direction!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, and the scoob ended up broad siding the pug.
The police think she was trying to turn right, but can not understand as there is no junction there.
At a guess and I mean a guess, I suspect that the woman wanted to turn round and started to slow down, the scoob went to overtake and ended up in her blind spot so she just went ahead with the move.
This is only my opinion and I might be barking up the wrong tree.

Still what ever the circumstances a tragic loss of life.

I have driven along that road for many years and never had a problem with it or found it dangerous, even when a 3 lane.
I have problems now as it is all speed restricted and because of the reputation ( thanks to the local press " killer A449 ") you now get the white knuckle 45mph idiots on it. Of course there are also the idiots who drive at 100mph down there.

All it needs is for people to use some common sense. It's not too much to ask, is it?

Jon
Old 12 March 2001, 07:33 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

I agree,

A couple of traffic islands on the sweepers and or/some solid whites would do it.

There was talk of widening the footpath to become a cycle path, so that would narrow the road a bit to slow everybody down a bit or better still stop people thinking they can overtake down the middle of the road even with oncoming.

Cheers

Ian
Old 12 March 2001, 10:12 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Angry

I read the newspaper report.

Mentioned a guy driving the scoob, and a male passenger. Police cannot understand what the female driver was trying to achieve.

My thoughts are with the relatives of the deceased, and for the two guys in the scoob and how dreadful they must feel.

Safety matters are all well and good, but this instance seems to have been down to driver error, and unfortunately safety mindedness and white-lines, etc don't make the blindest bit of difference in the face of that...

Like all those markings for Gatsos after bridges on the M6 causing idiots to brake sharply or change lanes instantly in order to avoid a possible speeding fine. That was well thought out, eh??

Human nature...
Old 13 March 2001, 01:19 AM
SCOOP
Scooby Regular

SAW IT . . .
I drove past the accident shortly after it happened,in my Silver 5 door. The Scooby that was involved in the accident was a green 5 door with gold wheels(I think)It was travelling towards Malvern. There are several Green 5 doors in the area, but I`m not sure whether it was a local or not.

Evening news made a point of saying "high performance Subaru Impreza in it`s report
Nasty accident and bad press, have had even more hasstle from local police since (been stopped twice)

Sincere condolences to the family of girl involved,

SCOOP
Old 13 March 2001, 09:53 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Squizz:
<B>I read the newspaper report.

Mentioned a guy driving the scoob, and a male passenger. Police cannot understand what the female driver was trying to achieve.

My thoughts are with the relatives of the deceased, and for the two guys in the scoob and how dreadful they must feel.

[/quote]

It seeems that the lady had only been in the country for a couple of weeks and was driving a hire car.

The driver should have "been able to stop in the distance he could see to be clear".

How many of us drive down an enjoyable road, that we know well, expecting a car parked side on over a crest? Perceived risk is what its all about and this rarely allows for such an event.

A thought provocking tragedy. Be careful out there!!

Sympathies all round.