Search this Thread

Old 10 September 2010, 07:48 PM
jonezy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new guy, thinking about a hatch sti

hi,

just researching the new shape impreza sti hatchback,

anyone got one? what do you think of it compared to other cars you have had?

whats this ive heard about the newage 2.5 sti's destroying themselves too, is this a common fault or is it just one of the unlucky few who are affected?

i personaly love the new hatch shape, and its £800 cheaper insurance for me than the older shapes.

always wanted a scoob since i first saw one in 1994 and now i can afford one, only scoob i have ever driven was a hawkeye sti on a track (one of them christmas presents you get) and loved it.

thanks, any comments or input apprieciated

rich

Last edited by jonezy; 10 September 2010 at 07:50 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10 September 2010, 07:49 PM
jonezy
Scooby Regular

oh, at the moment i drive an 05 plate leon fr tdi with a remap,

so an sti will be quite a different beast
Old 10 September 2010, 08:20 PM
turboaddict
Scooby Regular

i personally don't like the new hatch, imo it looks horrible....they should never of lost the saloon, what were they thinking at the time of that decision.... they should design a new saloon to go along side the new hatch...... its only the look i don't like apart from that i cant fault it, you wont be disappointed with a impreza great cars
Old 10 September 2010, 08:21 PM
jonezy
Scooby Regular

which one you got?
Old 10 September 2010, 08:24 PM
VinceW
Scooby Regular

There's a big hatch thread in members gallery section, see the sticky at the top of this section for engine failures. Seems to affect the 2008 cars before Subaru introduced a remap for the ECU. Not the best looking car in the world but for bhp per £ and 4 wheel drive you can't beat it. Hatch is great in my opinion for practicality, sod having a saloon!

Last edited by VinceW; 10 September 2010 at 08:25 PM.
Old 10 September 2010, 08:34 PM
jonezy
Scooby Regular

will the service/warranty book say whether its had the remap or not?

so are 2008 cars a no no then

will dig that other thread out now,
thanks
Old 10 September 2010, 08:45 PM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

Do your self a favor and get a focus RS
Old 10 September 2010, 08:57 PM
P4UL
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by turboaddict
they thinking at the time of that decision.... they should design a new saloon to go along side the new hatch
They have and its the replacement for the current hatchback, they are currently with IM having alarms fitted.

I like my hatch though and it is very practicable, plus the loks do grow on you.
Engines wise the original ECU map of the early models have lead to a few engine failures caused by Det.
Having them remapped is the safest way to go IMHO.

Paul
Old 10 September 2010, 08:57 PM
jonezy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulwrxboro

you had both? would love a green rs, they just need to come down in price a bit, wouldnt like to drive one in the wet like,
Old 10 September 2010, 08:58 PM
jonezy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P4UL
They have and its the replacement for the current hatchback, they are currently with IM having alarms fitted.

I like my hatch though and it is very practicable, plus the loks do grow on you.
Engines wise the original ECU map of the early models have lead to a few engine failures caused by Det.
Having them remapped is the safest way to go IMHO.

Paul
has the problem been ironed out now, as in becoming less frequent, sirprised there wasnt a recall for this, make me wary of buying a very low mileage one. plus sods law is i will put an exhaust on and then it will go wrong
Old 10 September 2010, 09:11 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

We are working on a lot of these cars now. Once they are out of warranty we expect to see a lot more coming in for the engine fix. When they are sorted they are brilliant, stacks of go and very refined.
Here's one we made earlier!

Old 10 September 2010, 09:43 PM
P4UL
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonezy
has the problem been ironed out now, as in becoming less frequent, sirprised there wasnt a recall for this, make me wary of buying a very low mileage one. plus sods law is i will put an exhaust on and then it will go wrong
I believe that 09 onwards have had a fix put inplace to prevent this happening, not sure if that is a change is piston design of a different map, probably the latter.
The main problem is to do with the pistons, which have been designed with a high silica content. This allows a tigheter tolerance to be used as they will not expand as much under temperature, thus running quiter.
Main problem is though that they are suseptible to Ring land failure during DET.

Again having a bespoke remap done is the way forward.

I have 16k on the original engine and is coming up for 3yr old and is on the original map. The warranty will soon be out so if it does go a stronger short block will be getting fitted possibly the cosworth unit.
Until then I am getting it booked in with andy F for a remap.
Old 10 September 2010, 09:48 PM
jonezy
Scooby Regular

so remaps are definatly reccomended just for sustainability of the engine, let alone the extra 40 odd bhp you will get,

what kind of power do custom remaps on these get?
Old 10 September 2010, 09:55 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy a JDM version, 2ltr twin scroll, has none of the issues the 2.5 does, much stronger engine, more bhp and torque out of the box, more goodies etc, places like litchfields do these.

Tony
Old 10 September 2010, 10:05 PM
jonezy
Scooby Regular

insurance gets a bit silly for me on these imports, like 1.5k more.

im only 22 so kind of lucky to get quotes like i do for the hatch sti uk
Old 10 September 2010, 10:42 PM
VinceW
Scooby Regular

Mine was apparently remapped by Subaru at point of entry to the uk (October 2009) with 0 miles. I checked at the dealers and they said it hadn't been done, so I threw my toys out of the pram big time! Within 30 minutes dealer was on the phone advising me of the above! No way of telling from the vehicle or service book. The dealer may be able to check on the history but how accurate this check will be....your guess is as good as mine. There was no official recall, remap was to take place on 1st service of affected vehicles (rumoured) 1st service is 10K miles or 1 year so plenty of time to do the damage. No 1000 mile service anymore. Time will tell how many engines go bang or how long these engines will last even with the remap. Subaru will be very happy when the vehicle is 3 years old I guess! Subaru wont even admit there is a problem. Read the sticky at the top of this section regarding hatch engine failures.
Old 10 September 2010, 10:44 PM
jonezy
Scooby Regular

cant read that thread, all it does is **** me up. gonna try and hold out for an 09 plate one
Old 10 September 2010, 10:45 PM
VinceW
Scooby Regular

so remaps are definatly reccomended just for sustainability of the engine, let alone the extra 40 odd bhp you will get,

what kind of power do custom remaps on these get?
Custom remap will invalidate your warranty. As will fitting any other mods unless they are supplied by Subaru officially. Subaru will be looking for an excuse not to pay for the rebuild.
Old 10 September 2010, 10:45 PM
dsemuk
Scooby Regular

I've recently gone from a Skoda Fabia vrs to an STI hatch and its great. Looked at other VAG products, Skoda Octavia vrs, petrol & diesel, Audi A3/S3 but nothing made me want to change till I tried a Impreza WRX hatch and decided on an STI. Focus RS was out of my price range.

OK so I have the potential engine problem hanging over my head and the running costs after running a diesel for years are a bit of a shock. The hatch is ideal for my needs.

When the going gets slippery the Impreza inspires confidence. OK so it may not be as hardcore as earlier incarnations of the Impreza but for me it is a nice balance of comfort and fun. Steering feel is a bit on the light site, lacking feel, gear shift could be a bit tighter/shorter throw (I am going to get short shift kit fitted first service).
Old 10 September 2010, 10:46 PM
dsemuk
Scooby Regular

Damn those double posts
Old 10 September 2010, 10:52 PM
jonezy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dsemuk
I've recently gone from a Skoda Fabia vrs to an STI hatch and its great. Looked at other VAG products, Skoda Octavia vrs, petrol & diesel, Audi A3/S3 but nothing made me want to change till I tried a Impreza WRX hatch and decided on an STI. Focus RS was out of my price range.

OK so I have the potential engine problem hanging over my head and the running costs after running a diesel for years are a bit of a shock. The hatch is ideal for my needs.

When the going gets slippery the Impreza inspires confidence. OK so it may not be as hardcore as earlier incarnations of the Impreza but for me it is a nice balance of comfort and fun. Steering feel is a bit on the light site, lacking feel, gear shift could be a bit tighter/shorter throw (I am going to get short shift kit fitted first service).

you have yours mapped, they become a bit of a rocket they do (nothing to worry scoobs) when you map em,

more than ready for that, my last near purchase was a mazda 6 mps and was prepared for that then the finance fell through,

tax is the only clincher really.

as long as everytime i drive the car i smile i dont care,

bit worried about the new age hatches and the wonders of their pushing 300bhp with remaps eg astra vxr/leon cupra etc, wont be impressed should i come up against one of those, (on marham airfield of course)
Old 10 September 2010, 10:56 PM
API330
Scooby Regular

Default sti

Mines a 2008 and has done 27,000 miles and has just gone into main dealer for remap under warrenty, Its been fine up till now with no probs and drives great, The best subaru i have owned and i have had about eight between 1997 and now,
Old 10 September 2010, 11:14 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

insurance gets a bit silly for me on these imports, like 1.5k more.

im only 22 so kind of lucky to get quotes like i do for the hatch sti uk

All my customers get cheaper insurance rates on imports due to them being 2.0l if you try A plan or Keith Michaels i am pretty sure they will get you a cheaper quote. Imports is the way to go the engines are robust and they have a lot more to offer out the box.

Immy
Old 10 September 2010, 11:16 PM
jonezy
Scooby Regular

would love an import due to the cheaper tax etc, will have to give them a go as their must be a reason you and other companies can make claims like that

thanks bud
Old 10 September 2010, 11:58 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

would love an import due to the cheaper tax etc, will have to give them a go as their must be a reason you and other companies can make claims like that

thanks bud
Heres my JDM spec you dont get this sort of stuff from Subaru UK

https://www.scoobynet.com/members-ga...ec-c-r205.html
Old 11 September 2010, 12:05 AM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by paulwrxboro
Horrid car to drive Looks great and looks spot on inside but just doesnt drive right for my likings, Possible I'd get used to it given allot of time but for me I wouldnt even think about buying one

the 2008 sti was subject to a reflash to alter fueling at the higher end of the rev range. not many of the early ones fail. we have more issues with the 330s versions you just cant keep them in engines the mapping is all wrong.

easy answer get yourself a custom remap and jobs a good one mine did 30,000 before it popped a piston but that was down to my local shell garage being dishonest with what they were putting in there tanks
Old 11 September 2010, 08:50 AM
jaypSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery
We are working on a lot of these cars now. Once they are out of warranty we expect to see a lot more coming in for the engine fix. When they are sorted they are brilliant, stacks of go and very refined.
Here's one we made earlier!

hmm, this car looks familiar
hope you remembered to fill the window washer bottle before fitting that kit Alan