Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sour grapes?

Search this Thread

Old 12 March 2001, 12:20 AM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whilst I haven't seen the quote, or the context in which the statement was made, sure he does have a point.

Should they really run a rally in conditions that preclude anyone other than the first few runners putting in a good time. So, although saying it was unfair to an individual would be wrong, saying it was unfair to a majority of the entrants would be pretty accurate IMHO.

Having said that, I think he made a pretty good job of things in those conditions. Although I was really impressed with the Hyundai debut.

Josh
Old 12 March 2001, 12:27 AM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

All the organisers have to do is send a couple of non-competing cars (e.g. some Land Rovers) through the stage first to even things out.
Old 12 March 2001, 10:54 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Thumbs down

Mr Burns is quoted this morning as saying it was an unfair rally, because he got to run in bad road conditions because he was further down the field.

Well Mr Burns, if you hadn't thrown it off the road in Sweden, your position would have been better, and I don't recall you having said concerns for the majority of rally drivers who have to put up with badly rutted tracks after <B> you </B> and your highly paid cohorts have cut them up.

Double standards are not becoming of someone in your position.

Prima donnas!

Geezer
Old 12 March 2001, 11:53 AM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Smile

Isn't that the same excuse as everyone not on pole position at the Monaco GP might want to use?
Old 12 March 2001, 11:58 AM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

No, they'll be moaning about their engines, chassis, pit crews, other drivers slowing them down on their flying laps, the moon rising in Capricorn and various other things.
Old 12 March 2001, 01:20 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Josh L:
<B> Should they really run a rally in conditions that preclude anyone other than the first few runners putting in a good time. So, although saying it was unfair to an individual would be wrong, saying it was unfair to a majority of the entrants would be pretty accurate IMHO.

[/quote]

Maybe, but what about running a rally where the front runners are penalised because they are sweeping the road for the rest? Remember the debacle on last years Rally Australia.

It just smacks of petulence of the worst kind. Maybe they should run all WRC rounds in reverse order, then the road would be just as crap fro everyone. At least the manufacturers can afford to replace broken parts, unlike the poor privateers who suffer it at the moment.

Geezer
Old 12 March 2001, 01:27 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Having seen the Eurosport footage, I'm sure some stages would have been quicker in a Landrover.

It was the same for everyone, but I can understand any of the drivers moaning about the conditions. Perhaps others did, but because Burnsy has a high profile, its him that got quoted.
Old 12 March 2001, 01:54 PM
D Brown
Scooby Regular

Wink

Or, perhaps it is because Burns seems to whinge at every opportunity that he gets quoted. The Scoops must hanging around the SWRT camp, eager to pick up a ready-made "grumpy quote"?

I think this fellow gingerheid should take some lessons in humility and channel his energy into overcoming the obstacles, rather than constantly referring to the book of excuses.

Rant over!
Old 12 March 2001, 01:59 PM
Orville
Scooby Regular

I seem to remember one of the loose rallies last year when RB deliberately gave up 1st posistion on the penultimate day so that others could sweep the stages clear for him to win on the final day. You can't have your cake and eat it.

Some rallies it's best to run first, some it's not. It all evens out.
Old 12 March 2001, 05:17 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Excuse my ignorance but isn't Mr Burns a Rally driver? and by the nature of the word Rally doesn't that mean driving on muddy roads?
Old 12 March 2001, 05:52 PM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Wurzel:
<B>Excuse my ignorance but isn't Mr Burns a Rally driver? and by the nature of the word Rally doesn't that mean driving on muddy roads?[/quote]Yes, but the issue is that an event is only fair if everyone gets to drive through the same conditions. If the first driver through a stage has easier (or more difficult) conditions than the drivers behind him, then it's not much of a competition.

The problem is that Burnsie will get a reputation for whinging if he always has an excuse every time someone else wins.