Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Tuner on Friday, hopefully more smiles per mile to come.

Search this Thread

Old 31 August 2010, 04:29 PM
matt-c
Scooby Regular

Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Engine Tuner on Friday, hopefully more smiles per mile to come.

Finally off to Engine Tuner on Friday!

I've got most of the bits together to throw at my 2005 STi.

As of now it's pushing 326HP, but having been that way for a little over 2 years i was in the mood for more....

So, the following bits will be added...

MD555 380-420
RCM Tubular Manifold (with Harvey up pipe)
650cc Injectors
RCM Induction Kit (if required)
3 Port Boost Control Solenoid (Perrin)
Simtek ECU

Anything i've missed?

I'm hoping for significant improvements in power and torque and with Engine Tuner's reputation on here i'm confident
Alan and Martyn etc will do the business.

I'll post before and after graphs once i have the car back
Old 31 August 2010, 09:07 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your in safe hands mate you will be well looked after by alan and martyn
Old 01 September 2010, 05:42 PM
jd5217
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Martyns cuppas are legendary around the South West
Old 22 November 2010, 08:27 PM
matt-c
Scooby Regular

I realized i forgot to update this post, suffice to say, there were some disappointments along the way, the car is not as i want it right now.

Will hold off until spring and see what i want to do then.

M.
Old 22 November 2010, 08:33 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What happened fella?you sound quite pissed off mate?
Old 22 November 2010, 08:40 PM
f4la k
Scooby Regular

Can i ask why your goin with a simtek, when your ecu is more than capable of running this set-up. I can understand if its for 2 maps, but surely it would have been better to go straight fot a syvecs, as your basically placing like for like with the ecu except the 2 maps...
Old 22 November 2010, 09:25 PM
matt-c
Scooby Regular

Yea, Simtek was for two maps, it was a bit elaborate, particularly at this level of tune, but i wanted to future proof a bit, probably not the best move in the end.

I'm not really pissed off, just a bit disappointed, turned out the MD555 was much slower to spool than i expected on the 2L, also a couple of niggles like a miss at a certain engine load spoilt the initial handover of the car.

I'm not hear to dis Engine Tuner, i reckon this would have been sorted by now if i was living in reasonable distance from them, they never said they would not look at the car anymore. I just expected more of a drive in drive out, and possibly i was off beam there.

They did swap back to the VF35 for me once they saw i was disappointed, so fair play.

I now have 340+ hp on the VF35 again, and it's lively alright, but does still have a couple of niggles that will need attention.

So i reckon, get through the winter, then either get it 100% as is, or look at a higher capacity lump that will spin up the 555 in the same way as the 2L does the VF35 (If that's actually possible). The MD555 is sitting in my garage rather than the car, which is a shame for such a costly unit....

From my experience, if you are considering a larger turbo on the 2L, bear in mind that the power delivery will be changed A LOT, i found that on the road 5th and 6th became cruising gears only (UK car) as any meaningful acceleration in them took place at highly illegal speeds. If you are prepared to drive around with the car always in the "zone" then respect, but it's not practical for a road car, i like to rev it round as much as the next man, but want it to pull from 3k too.

Anyway, no rant, no dis, it just wasn't what i was looking for, expensive error though.

Maybe that 2.3 will be on the agenda, or maybe sell the granny and finish what i started by buying a GT-R, roll on summer.
Old 22 November 2010, 09:58 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Originally Posted by matt-c
Yea, Simtek was for two maps, it was a bit elaborate, particularly at this level of tune, but i wanted to future proof a bit, probably not the best move in the end.

I'm not really pissed off, just a bit disappointed, turned out the MD555 was much slower to spool than i expected on the 2L, also a couple of niggles like a miss at a certain engine load spoilt the initial handover of the car.

I'm not hear to dis Engine Tuner, i reckon this would have been sorted by now if i was living in reasonable distance from them, they never said they would not look at the car anymore. I just expected more of a drive in drive out, and possibly i was off beam there.

They did swap back to the VF35 for me once they saw i was disappointed, so fair play.

I now have 340+ hp on the VF35 again, and it's lively alright, but does still have a couple of niggles that will need attention.

So i reckon, get through the winter, then either get it 100% as is, or look at a higher capacity lump that will spin up the 555 in the same way as the 2L does the VF35 (If that's actually possible). The MD555 is sitting in my garage rather than the car, which is a shame for such a costly unit....

From my experience, if you are considering a larger turbo on the 2L, bear in mind that the power delivery will be changed A LOT, i found that on the road 5th and 6th became cruising gears only (UK car) as any meaningful acceleration in them took place at highly illegal speeds. If you are prepared to drive around with the car always in the "zone" then respect, but it's not practical for a road car, i like to rev it round as much as the next man, but want it to pull from 3k too.

Anyway, no rant, no dis, it just wasn't what i was looking for, expensive error though.

Maybe that 2.3 will be on the agenda, or maybe sell the granny and finish what i started by buying a GT-R, roll on summer.
Hi Matt

Of course we would have been happier if you were entirely happy, but it was tough for us to win that one. I have to point out that the specification was chosen by yourself. It made the power, it just turned out to be at a higher rpm than you liked to rev it at, but that's the nature of larger turbos, and one very good reason why we like the strokers so much.
A smaller turbo wouldn't have made the power figure you specified.
The misfire you speak of is down to a fault with the kit on the car, I reckoned a coil pack. It didn't do it at a lower boost setting, which is a typical HT issue. Typically, I drove it for at least 50 miles with not a cheep, and it missed the second you got in it. Maybe just as well, or the Policeman who stopped us would have given you a ticket!
As you say, our door is always open, and if you wanted to go for a stroker, that turbo you have would be a much better bet for your needs.
Old 22 November 2010, 10:19 PM
f4la k
Scooby Regular

When was it starting to spool and reach full boost, How diffrent is the md555 compared to an afp td05-20g. Is a md555 not quite a dated turbo, would he not have been better with a 321h or 321t,
Old 22 November 2010, 10:25 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Think you just picked the wrong blower mate, try a md321h i hear they are suited for the 2.0ltr

Best of luck
Old 22 November 2010, 10:27 PM
matt-c
Scooby Regular

I specified the 555 based on research i had done, Powerstation use it for 350hp conversion and they stated spool was on a par (maybe 100-200 rpm later) with the VF35, it turns out this is not correct, unless i have a dud.

I can't comment on the comparisons you ask for, but compared to VF35 it was much more reluctant to spool up, you need to stir the box a lot more, so anything less than 4k on the clock and you better change down, by comparison the VF35 will pull hard from 3k, it's a big difference on the road believe me.

You could adapt your driving style, but you will be doing much higher speeds to get the acceleration thrill if that makes sense. What's really needed is shorter gearing, then it would be manic.
Old 22 November 2010, 10:29 PM
matt-c
Scooby Regular

i was under the impression that the 555 was an evolution of the 321 ?
Old 22 November 2010, 10:37 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Originally Posted by matt-c
i was under the impression that the 555 was an evolution of the 321 ?
Same parents ..