Sponsored by:

power change

Search this Thread

Old 28 August 2010, 08:27 AM
p.rite.sh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power change

So I have just had my hawkeye sti back with a new engine under warranty and want more power (knowing what it was like before the engine died). I am close to completing the very gentle 1k running in mileage.

Talking to a lot of people has given me a lot of differnt ideas, but am now more confused than I thought I would have been.

I was thinking:

1. Walbro fuel pump
2. Harvey headers and up-pipe
3. Injectors
4. Remap

I have to be careful so I can have the original PPP map put back on the car when the car goes in for warranty work. Im guessing the above mods will work with the original map, but will given etter performance with a new map?

The idea is to be able to change maps as the car goes in for work, and put the "higher power" map back on it when I have it. Would this work with mods 2 & 3

Also, what would you recommend - not too keen on the de-cat element as this would be quite messy to change when I need to send the car back in.

Also must be caseful so the engine does not die again - once is more than enough.

Thoughts?
Old 28 August 2010, 08:34 AM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

If your car has been remapped with EcuTEK the dealer will know if they plug a laptop in (even if you change the maps back to OE). There are ways to get around that should you choose not to use EcuTEK (not that I would recommend that, especially with RaceROM on EcuTEK about to be released!).

IMO there would be little point in changing injectors unless you are getting a bigger turbo. Fuel pump would be good for safety, headers and up-pipe for increased spool regardless.

IMO the PPP exhaust system is good and does not really warrant a change, so it's all good there.
Old 28 August 2010, 08:36 AM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Ignore above about the EcuTEK bit..... thick **** I just realised you already have a PPP EcuTEK map, so it is irrelevant.
Old 28 August 2010, 08:39 AM
p.rite.sh
Scooby Regular

also, what power would you class as safe before the 2.5 dies again...i dont want to risk another 3 months in a hyundai
Old 28 August 2010, 08:48 AM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

That IS the $64 million question mate!

Assuming the engine has been built correctly and mapped a OK, you should be alright as long as you don't push it too much. However, headgaskets could still be a potential issue!

If you want ultimate reliability I would not push it much. Whilst you will have people that have been fine, you will also have people that have had problems..... it all depends on how much risk you want to accept.

Like I have said on the other thread..... ultimately the OE 2.5 is a flawed design, based on the use of a 2ltr block case dimension (and puny cylinder support / thickness) and you don't have a lot of meat around the cylinders and bores on a virtually open deck design.

Plenty of people will say they run up to 400bhp on an OE 2.5ltr block.... I wouldnt though if reliability is your main concern.
Old 28 August 2010, 09:01 AM
p.rite.sh
Scooby Regular

Im aiming for about 350-370 to be safe i think - dont want to go near the 400 mark...

Im after a lot more torque to be honest, as love the idea of not shifting down from 6th for pull on the motorway
Old 28 August 2010, 09:03 AM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Sensible level then.