DAVE T-S - or other Sti Drivers

Search this Thread

Old 04 March 2002, 03:17 PM
The Blade
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Mr Deli,

I have had a std STi for 2 months now. (See for sale section).

Fuel consumption had varied from 14 to 25mpg but averaged just over 19 for the first 3,300 miles on SUL or Optimax. This is worse than my previous MY98 Turbo which averaged around 26mpg. I have kept all the petrol receipts so I will send more detail tomorrow.

Definitely quicker, though at times it is hard to tell as the car is a lot quieter so you don't realise how fast you are travelling, good job the brakes are so good.

Got insurance through Schofield, they were the best ahead of Direct Line.

Rob

[Edited by The Blade - 4/3/2002 3:18:17 PM]
Old 03 April 2002, 01:54 PM
mrdeli
Scooby Regular

I am lucky enough to be awiting delivery of a MY02 Sti (non prodrive, but hey you can't have everything).

At present I drive a MY00 turbo. I was wondering whether Dave (who seems to be resident expert here), or anyone else who actually owns an Sti could let me know...

When driven lightly-ish... what range does the tank give (presntly I seem to get around 250 in my turbo)

Has the PPP been officially launched (any bhp figures)?

Any advice on who is good for insurance - Direct Line have quoted me £1260 (31, 3 pts, 5+ years no claims)... is this quote about right?

Does the car feel significantly quicker then the turbo...my test drive was so long ago, I'm beginning to get nervous that the car may not live up to expextations.

Any genuine comments appreciated.

Thanks

Mark
Old 03 April 2002, 02:00 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Mark
It'll take a few minutes, be happy to reply when I get home tonight
Old 03 April 2002, 02:12 PM
WillieF
Scooby Regular

Talking

MPG

Getting about 250/280 whilst running it in on SUL..

Insurance

Keep shopping around...

Faster

on runnning it in no it doesn't feel faster and I doubt it will stop feeling tight for a few thousand more miles. HOWEVER i have driven one that was past the 1000 miles and i can confirm that IMO it is quicker however you know you want it so why worry
Old 03 April 2002, 02:25 PM
mrdeli
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys, it sure is the best place to get info.

Looking forward to your views later Dave.

Thanks to all.... anyone know when this 'ship' is meant to be arriving...my dealer quoted May - June --- I hate wishing my life away, but June can't come quick enough!
Old 03 April 2002, 02:27 PM
mrdeli
Scooby Regular

Blade....why selling already?
Old 03 April 2002, 02:36 PM
mrdeli
Scooby Regular

Oh now I see Blade...

Thanks for your reply and good luck with the new life.... and car sale/s.
Old 03 April 2002, 02:49 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

Mark,

Quite apart from the fact that using Dave T-S and Driver in the same sentence makes it an oxymoron , Schofield are deffinately the guys to talk to. Excellent service, and I don't even get a discount for saying so. (I suppose that makes me stupid)

I've driven the STi, although I'm a sad P1 owner, and you'd have to be driving something fairly impressive for it not to live up to your expectations.

Cheers

Josh
Old 03 April 2002, 02:58 PM
ScottTalling
Scooby Newbie

Mark

We took delivery of our STi last Thursday and have done 800 miles already - looking forward to the first service which is booked for next week.

On the fuel consumption issue I can't be a lot of help as I've not taken a great deal of notice although it certainly hasn't felt that uneconomical so far with gentle 'running in' driving. Mind you our old car struggled to return much over 20 to the gallon too (2WD Sapphire Cosworth).

I know very little about the forthcoming PPP, so look forward to other peoples posts re this myself. (Please don't tell the wife though!)

On the insurance front, we are covered through Privelege for £850 (both wife and I are 34, full NCB, business use for both of us, 15K miles per annum, clean licences living Cornwall. Privelege are owned (or closely connected with) Direct Line so quotes from both were the same.

I've never driven a Impreza Turbo, but agree with the previous poster's comments on quietness being deceptive. The gearbox (one of the few things you can appreciate fully prior to unleashing all fury after the 1,000 miles 'run-in') is IMO absulutely fantastic. And the handling is superb - very confidence inspiring when you've been used to 250+ HP through the back wheels only (especially in the wet).

I don't think you'll be dissapointed!

Scott
Old 03 April 2002, 03:13 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Wink

Quite apart from the fact that using "Josh" and "photographer" in the same sentence also makes an oxymoron ( )

Putting the thread back on a serious basis......
Old 03 April 2002, 05:44 PM
moz.g
Scooby Regular

mrdeli

Are you from Hoylake in the Wirral, if so that will make two of us (Blue/Black non PD)

Getting between 220 - 250 miles per tank on Optimax

Tesco for the insurance (buy on-line 5% discount)unless Rum at Schofields has managed to get some new quotes I know they were working on this but was too late for me.

I find the car hides it's speed very well compared to MY00 so it doesn't seem a great deal faster, but a quick look at the speedo when you hit a bend will tell you otherwise!
Be good for the first 1000 miles while you run it in, I found the engine to be a hell of a lot tighter than my previous two scoobs, but 2000 on the clock now and it feels bloody amazing.

Graham

Old 03 April 2002, 05:58 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Josh and DTS

Now lads there's no need for that, save all the aggression for the track so we can get all those other *!@*ing b+~**@!s at the go karting.

Unfortunately have to agree with Josh on something ( apart from his choice of car) - Schofields are the boys - e-mail Rum* on here. Dave's fuel figures will be very flattering, but then I'm not sure he'll have been out of 3rd gear yet as it all get's a bit scary for him when he goes over 45mph

Old 03 April 2002, 06:18 PM
Joseph
Scooby Regular

Guysit depends how much petrol you put in the tank. If you put in until th pump automaticaly stops an that's it then I am getting 150, but this is with my foot to the floor type driving but if you then keep topping up the tank until you see the petrol is about 6 inches from the top I get about another 35 miles.
I have just arrived from a trip where I topped up on the way there and topped up at the same station near home just now and the needle was on the last white mark the odometre said 250 miles (from 0 this am) with good pace on motorways and some country roads.
So not unhappy at all. Oh and mine is running well over 300bhp.
Hope this helps.
J.
Old 03 April 2002, 06:25 PM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

At present I am getting similar MPG to my RB5,
The STI is quicker, and it is quicker point to point than the RB5 as it is easier to carry speed along twisty or poor roads.

The car now has 2.5 k on it and is loosening up nicely.

Andy
Old 03 April 2002, 06:34 PM
Joseph
Scooby Regular

The STI is miles quicker and then you get to bends Wow!
J.
Old 03 April 2002, 07:33 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Hi Mark

Right, wouldn't class myself as an expert on the STi7 and there are others out there more knowledgeable than me, but here goes.....

First of all, nothing the matter with the non-prodrive car - in fact, that's what we originally wanted (but it was weeks to wait for the Prodrive and June for the non prodrive so that was the end of that problem).

Like many others I do not take too much notice of fuel consumption - pour it in one end and burn it out of the other - but it was very noticeable that the first tank went in about 200 miles because the car was new and tight and the next couple lasted much longer.

We took it to Austria when it had only 500 miles on the clock, and did 1500 miles there and back on five tanks of petrol - most of this was sat on the autoroutes at 3500 rpm in 6th gear however.

Consumption will be worse than a MY00 - more weight and more power - probably expect very low 20's in every day usage and high 20's if driven lightly.

PPP is not officially launched yet - last time I spoke to Mike Wood at Prodrive it was close to being signed off but final spec not totally decided - it will then have to be signed off by Subaru UK, put into production, delivered to dealers - minimum 4-6 weeks I would guess. Unofficial rumours, and nothing else, hint at about 310-315bhp from the PPP.

Echo other comments, talk to Rum (Tom) at Schofield re insurance.

Quicker than a MY00? Remembering back to our MY00's, yes, but not a lot in it with the STi as standard.

A full decat makes a HUGE difference to the STi - I reckon Carolyn's was well up on power until I discovered it was spiking to 1.7 bar and took the exhaust off. This issue needs to be cured by exhaust suppliers. Various remedies have been tried such as Unichip, Dawes device, restrictors etc but it is early days yet.

As with all Imprezas they need a good few thousand miles on to start to free up. Carolyn's is noticeably quicker now with 2500 on.

Is it worth it? Well, only a week or two before ordering the STi's I was saying on here that as the STi only had 261 bhp I felt a modded MY01 WRX would be a match for it. Then I drove one......then we ordered them

The car has a LOT of potential. The standard tyres, as always, are pretty dire and need replacing - according to Prodrive 18's transform the car. It also needs a lowering spring kit (Prodrive are running a test car at the moment), and the PPP will make a big difference......

Having done 3000 miles between our two STi's, it is a totally different car to the WRX and IMHO a MUCH better car to drive. The six speed gearbox keeps it on the boost curve much better, and the Suretrac LSD sharpens the front end up - but it does need adapting to.

It seems to have a lot more road presence that other Imprezas - on our route to work (rural B roads) we have now twice had white van man (two different ones) indicate, pull over, and let us go past when we have arrived behind them at warp 9 - added an Audi TT to the score this morning

Enjoy.....

PS - I should explain that Josh and Fat Boy are my teammates for the forthcoming kart race at Daytona - but most of the banter so far is within the team
Old 03 April 2002, 08:00 PM
russell hayward
Scooby Regular

Got mine today. Had a day in a demo previously.

Agree with Dave, except I think it is a different league power wise to my decatted RB5 (not ppp), although it is a while since I sold that car.

Hopefully the PPP will bring it up to P1 standard, but I really don't thnk it is that far behind in the real world. (still have my P1 ), especially given the handling improvements.
Old 03 April 2002, 08:56 PM
Richard Simpson
Scooby Regular

Is the servicing on the STi the same as a MY02 - 10,000 miles?

Richard
Old 03 April 2002, 09:37 PM
KenG
Scooby Regular

Got a very respectable 27mpg on a trip from Leeds to various parts of the midlands and back today. 65% motorway and 35% urban using Optimax. Car has 4,500 on it now and it is returning much better consumption figures than when brand new (it struggled to get beyond 18mpg for the first 1000 miles)!

Service intervals are 10,000 as per the WRX.

Ken
Old 03 April 2002, 10:02 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

I think Blade's first reply is short, sharp, accurate and close to my experience. I'm still running in and my consumption - despite 'easy' (ish) driving is 20% down on my MY00 Standard Turbo (20-ish mpg v 25-ish). Performance wise - Don't know how it compares with old shape STi's, but it blows you away when compared with the 'cooking' turbo!! I love it :&gt

BUT :>(

Mine is very very lively on the road, with loads of torque steer in low gears, lots of wandering, and occasional tramlining with the brakes. At times it feels less 'poised' than my old '00 5 door. I'm less than happy with that (and there's no way I'd want another 40-odd BHP!!), and will be less than happy to hear I've got to spend several hundred to (say) replace the wheels to cure the problem. I don't remember the P1 I tried being like that at all - but to be fair, I don't remember my dealer's demonstrator being quite so extreme either - so I'll get it looked at at the 1000 mile service.

Any views, you experts??

BTW.
1. Do you Prodrive owners get a puddle on the boot surface of the spoiler just inboard of the pylon, and
2. Anyone know of an aftermarket rear wash-wipe fitment??

Cheers

Phil
Old 03 April 2002, 11:14 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

Had mine 4 days and done 560 miles ish cant wait till the 1000 mile service
Town driving old MY99 130 - 180 on a tank
My new limited (4000rpm) 180 - 210

Also just noticed this morning it's got heated side mirrors
loved my MY99 but can't wait for PPP
Joined the brake squeel club but wear sunglasses to stop your eyes popping out onto the windscreenD
Xorhst has got to go to dammed quite
Bug eyes can't see them from the drivers seat and easy to clean

Tony

[Edited by T5NYW - 4/4/2002 12:16:16 AM]
Old 03 April 2002, 11:48 PM
mrdeli
Scooby Regular

Wow...what can I say, A big, big thanks to all who have responded, can't wait to get my car again now.

Moz.g - I guess that you must have had the red turbo .... did you get your car from E S Jones... if so let me know, as I have some info that may be of interest to you.

Dave TS, thanks for your detailed reply - it made me smile seeing your twin cars, as my brother and I both have turbos now and are both trading to the Sti - must say that Kart racing in Daytona sounds a pretty good way to spend a week!

Once again thanks all

Mark
Old 04 April 2002, 03:55 AM
Blooscoob
Scooby Newbie

MrDeli
I run a Jap Import Sti7, had it since September 2001, now with 7K on the clock. Driven sensibly(!), returns 225-250 miles per tank of Optimax. This is my first Scooby so I do not feel qualified to offer comparisons with other models. My insurance was arrangeed through A-Plan at £850.00, including her holy scrumptiousness and business use. Drives a treat, smooth as a cashmere codpiece, lots of presence. The only issue I have (very minor) is tramlining, suspect that will change with the next set of tyres and call me old fashioned but I tend to hold on to the steering wheel so it's not an issue...Stop worrying about whether you've made the right choice....you have.
Blooscoob
Old 04 April 2002, 07:48 AM
Robb
Scooby Regular

Mr Deli,

Who did you use to purchase your Japanese Import STi7? Can anyone tell me how much difference the front LSD makes to the STi? Why is this not included on the Japanese car?

I am currently exploring the various option, ie Jap import or Type UK.

Cheers

Robb
Old 04 April 2002, 08:02 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Phil

The "torque steer" is largely the Suretrac front diff doing its stuff. The tyres don't help however, and Mike Wood tells me a change to 18's/different tyres cures a lot of the waywardness.

BTW, you haven't experienced a front end with a mind of its own on an STi7 until you run it spiking to 1.7 bar boost LOL.

Re puddle on the bootlid - they all do that sir

Re rear wash/wipe (i'd like one too) - it fits through the window glass, so you'd have to get hold of the bits from a Jap spec STi - BIG job......

[Edited by Dave T-S - 4/4/2002 9:04:00 AM]
Old 04 April 2002, 08:53 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Hi Mark.

I've upgraded from an MY00 turbo as well. Had the Sti for a few weeks, racked up around 2000 miles, and she's loosening up nicely.

When running in I got 320 miles from the tank!! When drving to/from work however I'm getting about 180-200. Comparing this with my old MY00, it seems that on a long run it is more economical, but when you start driving through traffic the mpg tumbles (I used to get around 240 driving to/from work in my MY00).....

As far as I know the PPP is not released yet, but coming very soon.....

Insurance, I'm 30 with 3 points and 7+ years no claims discount. A-Plan got me a quote from AXA for only £690. They didn't charge extra for my scoobysport backbox either

In my experience, low down in the rev range (i.e. below 2000rpm) it does feel slightly more sluggish than my MY00, but once the turbo kicks in it keeps pulling all the way to the red line, (and it gets there much quicker than the old MY00 did). I can garauntee you won't stop ginning

I'm not that impressed with the standard tyres though. I'm getting some understeer if I go into a bend quickly. I'm not sure if it's worse than my MY00, but at the moment I don't feel as confident round the twistys as I did in the old car. I need to take it to a track day to find the limits safely before I can really comment any further, but I'm hoping that when I change the tyres it will help....

Cheers,
Iain
Old 04 April 2002, 09:27 AM
mrdeli
Scooby Regular

Does anyone have any idea when the next 'ship' of cars arrive. I understand that on arrival they are taken to a centre and fitted with the alarm, tracker and 'stickers'...any ideas how long after the ship arrive deliveries begin?

I very nearly ordered an Sti from Virgin Cars, a month or so ago, they looked initially attractive at £22,995 (also managed to negotiate a £250 discount), however to bring up to spec, the alarm is £399, the trackstar around £600, Wheelnuts £30 (never priced those wonderful stickers), but also noted that only 2 yrs warranty apply and also heard 7,500 servicing.... just a word of warning to others considering importing.

Dave T-S - you mention turbo spiking, (I recall the thread) - did you manage to get around this, or is it better to await the PPP, which presumeably will be fully sorted. If the PPP produces 310 - is it likely to dramitcally alter the MPG, or will it just 'unclog' the airflow - I tend to remember that the P1 wasn't significantly worse than the standard Turbo. I understand that MPG and cars like this are never great, but I use mine for work everyday and don't really want to chuck a PPP on if it means i'll be getting mid teens as opposed to low 20's. Any comments appreciated.
Old 04 April 2002, 09:30 AM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks Dave - and I see Ian from Wiltshire is of the same opinion. I'm in the process of getting a far better return from a tankful which is supplying a couple of motorway journeys.

So far as the handling is concerned - makes "Suretrac" something of a misnomer - what?? What ACTUALLY are the 18s then..... and how much :>( Is there much of a market for 2/h STiUK wheels?

Does Mike Wood lurk this board? If so, I'm at Prodrive 19/4 Mike and would be interested to hear what you have to say!

Cheers
Phil Harrison
Old 04 April 2002, 10:27 AM
vfg
Scooby Regular

I have recently agreed to purchase a new StiUK (blue-black). Having enjoyed my MY'00 for nearly 3 years I am very keen to sample the new faster car! Various people on the forum have suggested that this car may be initially slow - I am more inclined to believe that this is simply down to the tightness of new vehicles. Certainly my MY00 was very tight for the first 5-8k.

My main concern is tyres! The old OEM Bridgestone’s were OK and after briefly sampling Michelins & Avon’s (true awful) I quickly moved to S02’s – fantastic. Just the thought of the speed at which these guys might start to lift off was scary! How bad are the RE040’s on the new Sti? Should I pester the garage to fit something better from new and if so what – views on S03’s suggest that the jury is out and that Bridgestone may even supercede them or go back to S02’s. Do I simply run the RE040’s whilst the new girl loosens up?

Opinions very welcome especially from new Sti owners.
Old 04 April 2002, 12:01 PM
JGRIFF
Scooby Regular

Cool

I seem to be getting about 27ish from mine.
it's a lot quicker than a standard MY00, but only SEEMS slightly quicker, because it is so much quieter and stiffer.

As you can see from the above photo the difference between the standard car, and one with 18's and Eibach kit. Mine is on Prodrive 18's (Toyo's) and has the Eibach kit fitted, with the alternative rear anti-roll bar and is very neutral. eibachs despite dropping the ride height by about 20mm (f) and 27mm (r), the springs are variable rate, it's initially a little softer, which makes for a less jiggly ride on motorways, it still corners with an absence of body roll when pressing on. They (the springs)also seem to have had a positive effect on cutting the NVH as well.

Yes i get the puddle on the boot lid when washing it.
PPP is still some way away, but will probably be the way to go.

[Edited by JGRIFF - 4/4/2002 10:49:11 PM]

Quick Reply: DAVE T-S - or other Sti Drivers