Subaru purchase any advice appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 17 July 2010, 10:50 PM
Djgyro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subaru purchase any advice appreciated

Hello all,
I'm going to look at a 99 V-reg Jap import Sti on monday with the intention of buying. Ive wanted a Scooby for the last 10 years and really want to make sure that I dont regret my purchase or spoil the dream with a poor example.
The car has done 57k miles, the only mods are a cat back exhaust system and exeedy clutch and the car even still has the Jap speed limiter fitted.
Im mechanically minded being a tractor mechanic by trade but unrefined diesel engines and associated transmissions are a world away from a Scoob.
Can anyone give me some advice as to what to look and listen for when under the bonnet and anything that will be a giveaway when I test drive her.

Kindest regards
Old 18 July 2010, 08:26 AM
Scooby Senior

MY99 cars will be mapped for 100Ron fuel so make sure there is a reserve fund for a re-map to save the engine going bang. Check if there is any history and the pedal wear etc looks like 57k as a lot of imports are clocked!

Just check for the normal things like blue smoke, clutch slip etc, popping out of gear etc, there is nothing subaru specific to look for really, just treat it the same as any car.

Hope it is a good one for you, if not, check out our P1 in for sale
Old 18 July 2010, 08:34 AM
Djgyro
Scooby Regular

Thanks for reply,
Anyone reading this thread know how much a re-map for UK fuel will cost me? Ive got a decent and well known race-prep garage near me but im sure they will try and sell me something more than I need.
Old 18 July 2010, 08:40 AM
J@Scoobybits
Scooby Regular

If the remap is not done straight away just stock up on octane booster!
Where are you located that might be usefull as I am sure there will be someone local with a helping scoob knowledge who could go with you as extra set of eyes?
Or speak to a local tuner/garage
Old 18 July 2010, 08:45 AM
Djgyro
Scooby Regular

Im near Boston in Lincolnshire. The guy that has had it says the car is looked after by an ex-subaru mechanic near Wrexham so il ask him about the re-map at point of sale. Just for my own knowledge, what happens if you dont use octane booster or have it re-mapped? I just thought the octane value was to do with pre-detonation of the fuel and a lower value is just less likely to knock and produces a weaker bang
Old 18 July 2010, 08:49 AM
J@Scoobybits
Scooby Regular

Pretty much ;
the car will be used to "full fat fuel", you start giving it crappy uk stuff and it will det eventually ending in failure!
I have run a few on booster and with spirited but not hard driving they have been fine (touch wood)
Best guy I know of for mapping near to you is in Sheffield if you need details just ask, he is usually busy with rally cars but sure he is capable!