Health & Safety gone mad!

Search this Thread

Old 25 June 2010, 07:04 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Health & Safety gone mad!

lets have a bit of a competition for the most daft H&S warning

right i will start, my grandson had a scooter today for his birthday on on the handle was.....

WARNING This product moves when in use

WTF

steve
Old 25 June 2010, 07:16 PM
Baron Sideways
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On a pack of peanuts:

"Caution: May contain nuts"
Old 25 June 2010, 07:22 PM
Alarmeng
Scooby Regular

Not a warning BUT............................

Ive got one for you.

After 25yrs plus of climbing a ladder i now apparently cant climb one as i dont have a bloody cert for it.

I can sit and watch a Power point presentation from a young lad about how i should shouldnt climb em mmmmmmmmmmm

F kin world gone MAD if you ask me
Old 25 June 2010, 07:26 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

^^^
Old 25 June 2010, 08:37 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

Yes,but some of it is very helpful.
The lighter I have has a label that says 'Keep away from children'.

The best advice I've had for years,annoying little blighters!!!!
Old 25 June 2010, 09:17 PM
dsemuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alarmeng

Ive got one for you.

After 25yrs plus of climbing a ladder i now apparently cant climb one as i dont have a bloody cert for it.

I can sit and watch a Power point presentation from a young lad about how i should shouldnt climb em mmmmmmmmmmm

When I did the working at heights "course" I asked the H&S guy what the safety implication are for pole dancers as they can fall from the pole and land on their heads, everyone in the room laughed except the H&S bloke!

H&S = money for old rope, let common sense prevail.
Old 25 June 2010, 09:23 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dsemuk
When I did the working at heights "course" I asked the H&S guy what the safety implication are for pole dancers as they can fall from the pole and land on their heads, everyone in the room laughed except the H&S bloke!

H&S = money for old rope, let common sense prevail.
nearly fell off my chair i miss-read your post thought it said a pole dancer landing on your head
Old 25 June 2010, 09:55 PM
Scoobydudey
Scooby Regular

Im in the security game and now have to wear dirty great big gloves to put the little cables in alarm movement detectors, with the gloves on you cant hold the little cables, hows that work then !!!
Old 25 June 2010, 10:11 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alarmeng

Ive got one for you.

Are you the bloke on the claim chaser advert that was "given the wrong ladder"

I have a box of Nytol tablets, to help me sleep. On the back it says "caution - may cause drowsiness" F*****g hope so!!

JohnD
Old 25 June 2010, 10:23 PM
pinkypurkhardt
Scooby Regular

im in the army and on a recent trip to oman flip flops were band on camp because of fire safty reasons.........
Old 25 June 2010, 10:50 PM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pinkypurkhardt
im in the army and on a recent trip to oman flip flops were band on camp because of fire safty reasons.........
I was in the forces mate and they seem worse that anyone for it now

This isn't quite H&S but made me chuckle, I was reading the toothpaste tube whilst brushing my nashers, on it there was a statement,

"Suitable for vegetarians"

Toothpaste, I mean what the
Old 26 June 2010, 01:08 AM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Pink_Floyd
I was in the forces mate and they seem worse that anyone for it now

This isn't quite H&S but made me chuckle, I was reading the toothpaste tube whilst brushing my nashers, on it there was a statement,

"Suitable for vegetarians"

Toothpaste, I mean what the
Thats f***in MINT
Old 26 June 2010, 01:55 AM
Richy P1984
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

On the Hot water boiler at work: Caution, Hot water.

Most pointless H&S training - how to use the boiler.

Step 1 turn on at plug
Step 2 wait for water to boil
Step 3 pull leaver to let hot water out
Step 4 let go of leaver to stop hot water

No one turned up to this 'mandatory training' but for some reason they didnt follow up on it, wonder why.
Old 26 June 2010, 07:44 AM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Notice on the side of a skip. A working at height risk assessment must be carried out beforing climbing the skip ladder. Ladder must only be used for observation purposes.
Old 26 June 2010, 08:23 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

When I was applying for my cscs card we had a presentation by an h&s adviser. She asked us what we would do if there was a small fire in the classroom, everyone said pick up the fire extinguisher and put the fire out. Apparently this was wrong as there was a risk that you could pick up the wrong type of fire extinguisher and that unless your escape exit is blocked, you run straight to the fire exit.

Since the fire extinguishers were changed to all red there has been an increase in people electrocuting themselves.
Old 26 June 2010, 08:48 AM
howellsy42
Scooby Regular

i get a hand cleaner from work on the bottom it say "avoid prolonged contact with skin if this happens use gloves "
Old 26 June 2010, 09:01 AM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofturds
When I was applying for my cscs card we had a presentation by an h&s adviser. She asked us what we would do if there was a small fire in the classroom, everyone said pick up the fire extinguisher and put the fire out. Apparently this was wrong as there was a risk that you could pick up the wrong type of fire extinguisher and that unless your escape exit is blocked, you run straight to the fire exit.

Since the fire extinguishers were changed to all red there has been an increase in people electrocuting themselves.
EU wide the fire extinguishers are completely the appropriate colour, cream, black, red, blue etc

The UK is the last one to hold on to red fire extinguishers with coloured labels on.
Actually the chances of someone untrained doing some serious damage using the wrong kit is fairly high.
In training on site some 40% of my lads went for the wrong kit and could have easily either died or made the situation considerably worse.
I changed the induction to the "get out, get the fire brigade out, stay out" and will continue top preach that method from there on.
I was unfortunate enough to be involved in a car park build where a car caught fire in Onslow House Guildford (some 6 years ago now), the place filled with toxic black within 5 minutes and idiots were trying to put out the fire!

I understand H&S is primarily **** covering bollocks, but some of it makes good sense.
Old 26 June 2010, 10:04 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Chubb do fire training at work, with a "burger-trailer" it's suprising how little effect a large extinguisher will have on even a small fire.

If in doubt PM bigarf and ask about his oil fire on the M62 a couple of weeks ago...

dunx
Old 26 June 2010, 10:06 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had to wear a dayglo belt in Afghanistan last year to avoid RTAs

Last edited by JonMc; 26 June 2010 at 10:07 AM.
Old 26 June 2010, 10:20 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Peanuts
EU wide the fire extinguishers are completely the appropriate colour, cream, black, red, blue etc

The UK is the last one to hold on to red fire extinguishers with coloured labels on.
Actually the chances of someone untrained doing some serious damage using the wrong kit is fairly high.
In training on site some 40% of my lads went for the wrong kit and could have easily either died or made the situation considerably worse.
I changed the induction to the "get out, get the fire brigade out, stay out" and will continue top preach that method from there on.
I was unfortunate enough to be involved in a car park build where a car caught fire in Onslow House Guildford (some 6 years ago now), the place filled with toxic black within 5 minutes and idiots were trying to put out the fire!

I understand H&S is primarily **** covering bollocks, but some of it makes good sense.

The situation we were presented with was a fire in a paper bin and I'm pretty sure most extingushers would do the job, however common sense was out the window with this dopey old bat. And she insisted that if it was safe to do so we should exit the building and leave it to the fire brigade.
Old 26 June 2010, 11:46 AM
pinkypurkhardt
Scooby Regular

yeah defo seems like her majesty's finest have gone h&s mad, shame its taking all the fun out of it lol
Old 26 June 2010, 12:00 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

yeah defo seems like her majesty's finest have gone h&s mad, shame its taking all the fun out of it lol
I am suprised they don't have big yellow arrows on their rifles with;

'This end towards target'
Old 26 June 2010, 12:05 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by legb4rsk
I am suprised they don't have big yellow arrows on their rifles with;

'This end towards target'
We did a case study on my HSW course were a TA soldier shot himself on shoulder because he got the rifle the wrong way round, and then he successfully sued the MOD.
Old 26 June 2010, 02:52 PM
Richy P1984
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofturds

Got my CSCS card - nice white one. Its relevance to my job 0/10
Old 26 June 2010, 03:42 PM
boboskins
Scooby Regular

Default It's all about protecting the corporate ***...

I like all the funny examples for these things - but the thing that kinda makes me mad... NONE of this is actually what the law or HSE say. As always the UK is following the 'gud ol' U ess of ehh' where everyone sues for something which downright bloody obvious.

Examples - The states is the only place Porsche's come equipped with the big ole cup holders the yanks are so fond of. The reason? Some dozy tart went to a drive though, ordered a coffee and after realising there wasn't a cup holder decided to stick the cup between her legs. She then got somewhat upset when you burnt herself in a tender region

winnebago's now come with a clearly warning that cruise control does not steer the vehicle after some muppet decided to go make himself a coffee while the van drove itself....

One of my favourites though has to be the mother that sued a supermarket after she tripped over and fell. The reason? her own freakin kid.

@Peanut - think you have the fire extinguishers the wrong way. All of EU is going for all over red for extinguishers, only about 10% is allowed for the colouring. The reasoning being people can at least be certain to recognise a fire extinguisher because it is red. Have to say though - you would be surprised how hard it can be to put out a simple fire. At one of the training courses we did we had paper fire in a metal bin (old style rubbish bin). The fire was allowed 5 minutes to get properly hot - it took 13 fire extinguisher to put the fire out. How many extinguishers does the average person have?

B
Old 26 June 2010, 06:28 PM
Richy P1984
Scooby Regular

The trouble is, companies take it upon themselves to install their own health safety rules and regulations. If they followed the HSE (Health and Safety Executive) there wouldnt be as many of the silly do's and dont's.

People will always look upon H&S as a hinderance whilst is operated in a reactive manor. Companies need to follow the HSE before accidents happen.
Old 26 June 2010, 06:42 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Where I work at Corus, they are oober cautious on H&S. A lot of my fellow apprentices are 16-18 and dopey as **** with "real world" stuff - the best example being a younger lad on the same work bench as me tried to file down a clump of low carbon billet with the wooden end of the ******* cut file Same lad wondered how painful "arc eye" was, so decided to find out (and proceed to be handed a final written warning on his return from sick leave)

The H&S guru at our place is really o.t.t. though. 3 points of contact on stairs etc. even when not carrying anything.

Best example was when we found out that whilst on holiday in Spain, he apparently got some poor gardner suspended! Because said gardener wasn't wearing safety gloves or goggles when cutting the grass around the apartments said H&S guy was staying in. Poor gardener couldn't speak a word of English so H&S guy complained to the gardeners boss that he wasn't able to warn him due to the language barrier.

Needless to say at work he hasn't many friends
Old 26 June 2010, 06:53 PM
Richy P1984
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
Where I work at Corus, they are oober cautious on H&S. A lot of my fellow apprentices are 16-18 and dopey as **** with "real world" stuff - the best example being a younger lad on the same work bench as me tried to file down a clump of low carbon billet with the wooden end of the ******* cut file Same lad wondered how painful "arc eye" was, so decided to find out (and proceed to be handed a final written warning on his return from sick leave)

The H&S guru at our place is really o.t.t. though. 3 points of contact on stairs etc. even when not carrying anything.

Best example was when we found out that whilst on holiday in Spain, he apparently got some poor gardner suspended! Because said gardener wasn't wearing safety gloves or goggles when cutting the grass around the apartments said H&S guy was staying in. Poor gardener couldn't speak a word of English so H&S guy complained to the gardeners boss that he wasn't able to warn him due to the language barrier.

Thought we had it bad at our company (working indirectly for the Highways Agency).
Old 26 June 2010, 07:27 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

can we get back on track? with the amusing/daft/silly ones
Old 26 June 2010, 10:41 PM
dsemuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian

To be honest heavy industry is where H&S can be the difference between life & death.

At British Steel Shepcote Lane I remember someone getting a steel stillage full of coil springs lowered onto his foot, steel toe caps don't help in such situations