Sponsored by:

Well, that was scary!

Search this Thread

Old 27 May 2010, 11:21 AM
Probein
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well, that was scary!

Heading home from the cinema last night, it was raining (for the first time in ages). I hit a roundabout, not speeding at all (about 20 - 25 MPH; the roundabout was a big one with sweeping bends, not small sharp bends), started to corner and the whole car started to slide. Ended up doing a full 360 spin and going backwards up the roundabout! Shat myself!

Luckily there weren't any other cars about, or any sign-posts/trees/lamp-posts to damage my car - so I think I got away without doing much damage (though I didn't like bumping up the curb backwards, might check my tyres to make sure they aren't damaged).

I would have understood if I was driving too fast - but like I say, I was just cruising at normal speed, not even accelerating!

Just goes to show you - even with AWD and Subaru's legendary grip, a slippery road is still a slippery road.

So that's my advice guys - take it easy when it's just started raining for the first time in a while!!

Last edited by Probein; 27 May 2010 at 11:25 AM.
Old 27 May 2010, 11:43 AM
serega
Scooby Regular

exact same thing happend to me once too, turns out i had a few bold tyres )
and awd only matters when you accelerate, otherwise it's handling and tyres that come into play, and subaru's handling is not really that great, coupled with bad tyres and you have a situation like that.

Last edited by serega; 27 May 2010 at 11:44 AM.
Old 27 May 2010, 12:11 PM
Probein
Scooby Regular

Yeah - my tyres are all pretty good (2 new on the back, 2 fronts still have a load of grip left) - to be honest I think regardless of tyres anybody would have had a skid on that bit of road. Maybe there was some spilled oil/diesel or something - or maybe it was just because the rain brought out all the grease.
Old 27 May 2010, 12:17 PM
Stuswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not good mate at least you are ok and was not at busy time of the day also your car is ok, would of thought it was todo with not raining in ages it does bring the grease up. where abouts was it?
Old 27 May 2010, 12:36 PM
Probein
Scooby Regular

Cambridge!
Old 27 May 2010, 12:37 PM
lazadude
Scooby Regular

If its been hot, and dry for a while, then when first bit of rain hits the road it becomes exceptionally greasy, especially when you get a hot day with showers, roads are horrible then too. I done exactly the same thing a couple years ago on a really open roundabout, just lost the back end, went in a 360 then kept going, bet it looked good, really really scary tho
Old 27 May 2010, 01:09 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Haha. I've found the Scoob can be a bit tail happy, especially with an uprated ARB.
Very unforgiving if you overcook it into a corner. However, that said tyres do make a huge difference.
Put crap tyres on and you'll get crap grip, and hence crap handling.
I had Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's on mine at the back and Vredesteins on the front.

The F1's are "ok" but I found that when I ran them on the front, the car used to slide a little at the front if I tried to corner or take a roundabout a little more aggressively than normal. It didn't promote confidence.
I've also had a few tail out moments whilst going into a long sweeping bend where the front was gripping fine, but the back (with the F1's on) made a break for it, even under acceleration (say 60-70mph (ish )).

With the Vreddies the difference is notable, which is why I'll be putting them on the back too when the F1's wear down sufficiently.

Last edited by MrNoisy; 27 May 2010 at 01:13 PM.
Old 27 May 2010, 01:29 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by lazadude
If its been hot, and dry for a while, then when first bit of rain hits the road it becomes exceptionally greasy, especially when you get a hot day with showers, roads are horrible then too. I done exactly the same thing a couple years ago on a really open roundabout, just lost the back end, went in a 360 then kept going, bet it looked good, really really scary tho
Absoloutely. Roads are at their most treacherous when it rains after a hot, dry spell.
Old 27 May 2010, 01:51 PM
Marx Mcrae
Scooby Regular

What make of tyres you got in the car?
Personally I wouldnt run a scooby on anything other than good branded tyres. You pay a fortune for a car so why get cheap tyres
Old 27 May 2010, 01:54 PM
Probein
Scooby Regular

Pirelli's at the moment - not sure exactly what type, the last owner had them put on. But, I don't think they're too bad and I've never had any issues with them previously (even in the wet - they've been really good).
Old 27 May 2010, 02:13 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

When an impreza goes it all goes at once in a spinning fashion in slippery conditions, where a front wheel drive car might just pull you through. My experience anyhoo!
Old 27 May 2010, 05:46 PM
shaunyboyuk
Scooby Regular

theres lots of decent brand tyres, to date best tyres ive experienced are michelin pilot exalto 2 other good tyres are Hankook ventus V12 EVO's, Toyo proxies (people often comment on fast wear rate though), Conti sport contacts are ok, but pricey, As for budget tyres, Falkens and avons are decent. I would never use the likes of nankang etc although my leon came with them on they had no front end grip what so ever. Also a major factor is Tyre pressures. Check them regular, you could also try nitrogen from quick fit centres. Tyres are the most important component on the car, hence why they carry 3 points p/tyre. Alot of people say brakes, but remeber, tyres are the only contact with the road surface so keep them in tip top condition and check regular, also in the rain, 20+ entry speed on a wet roundabout isnt really good practise you just need to think even if theres no cars, it can be dangerous to just go tanking round at speed.

Think the next tyres i will try are Falken FK452's, seem to have a good review and a fair priced named tyre. Also get them nitrogen filled as its ment to be more stable, less pressure change at temperature and last longer. http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.p...7,_225/45_R_17

Last edited by shaunyboyuk; 27 May 2010 at 05:49 PM.
Old 27 May 2010, 07:09 PM
wrx9181
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It s because you were off the power mate .unless your tyres really are ****e
Old 27 May 2010, 07:42 PM
Marx Mcrae
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrx9181
It s because you were off the power mate .unless your tyres really are ****e

Would have nothing to do with it unless he came off the power sharply on a tigbt bend at some speed, not at 20mph on a large roundabout! If anything the car should have been more stable as the weight was not being shifted around
Old 27 May 2010, 07:59 PM
easyrider1961
Scooby Regular

with a scooby if ya back starts to go cos of the 4wheel drive ya need to plant more power down and it should kick it back into place
Old 28 May 2010, 09:15 AM
jonny_693
Scooby Regular

Innit.
Old 28 May 2010, 10:46 AM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Random.
Old 28 May 2010, 11:07 AM
StanS
Scooby Regular

I did a 180 on Mahjacks roundabout in Uxbridge in rush hour in the early 70's in this, shortly after buying it.

Big roundabout with shops in the middle. Cloud burst and lying water. Gently pulled onto roundabout (max 15 mph) and engine being a bit cammy, the back started to go and I ended up parked nicely against the kerb facing 3 lanes of oncoming. Luckily they were going slowly and stopped. I did a U turn and slowly snuk off (very embarassed - luckily no-one could see that !) and heard a skid and crunch as someone came round the roundabout and went into the back of a car that had stopped