Sponsored by:

My First Subaru.....Need Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2010, 04:42 PM
kevaldo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My First Subaru.....Need Help!!

Hi guys, I'm new to all this Subaru stuff, I have been to check this scooby out twice I'm a fan of it, but my step dads talking me out of it. I'm after some advice here about the mods its had done, its from a guy in blackburn CGS motorsport, loves his scoobys.

VF34TURBO - thats a turbo from a newer scooby am I right?
APEXI ECU WITH COMMANDER
HKS FMIC
HKS COILOVERS
DEFI GAUGES
GREDDY B SPEC BOOSTCONTROLLER
6 POT CALIPERS

It has apparently 356bhp, but I have seen a print out saying it has 324bhp but that was a while ago.

I like it a lot, I'm just in two minds as would it be hard work to keep on the road, but I don't do many miles about 4000 a year, would it be a bit harsh to drive? Just some general advice would be great guys. I'm also not a nugget behind the wheel haha.

Cheers Kev
Old 09 May 2010, 04:50 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Hi Kev, and welcome.

You need to give us a bit more to work with, like what model year is it, how many miles has it done, who mapped it, etc.

The cars are great, but if anything does go wrong, watch out wallet. The engines also are quite sensitive to the map, so the mapper needs to be in touch with how much the engine can take, and not just go for big gains. Sadly, not all mappers are equal.

Then you need to know how much work has ever been done. Mine, for example, went for the headgasket replaced. One of the heads needed skimming. The garage doing it either didn't know, or didn't care about compression ratios, and that helped it det itself to death on a VERY hot French motorway last August.

Getting it back soon, but boy, has it cost me bigtime And that's despite the help and generosity of people on here

Thirdly, take fuel consumption into account: mine wants to stop at every Shell station it sees

Fourthly, make sure you can insure it and don't even THINK about not declaring mods to your insurer..........too many tales of those who didn't, and lost out bigtime.
Old 09 May 2010, 04:59 PM
kevaldo
Scooby Regular

Default Thanks for the help

Well its a 1997 (P) - STI (70,000 miles), The guy who currently has it has had like over 50 Subaru's, mapping wise I'm not to sure but the guy said that anything over what it is currently at the engines tend to struggle, he seems like he knows what he's talking about because he loves them, he first of all showed me pics of all the ones he's owned on his pc (CRAZY), but when I look I see loads that are 300+ bhp.

Fuel wise I'm not to fussed because if I get a car like that I expect it to drink .

Ive been looking about 2 weeks now and I'm in no rush like but I've seen a few dogs though, the biggest thing about the car is the guy who's selling it says all the right things and knows what he's doing.
Old 09 May 2010, 05:28 PM
QUICKSCOOB
Scooby Regular

Got my 05 STi at 7 months old and standard.No experience of this type of car,but after 4yrs have just about got as i want.I would like you have been nervous buying tuned car whilst unsure of history.I personally prefer to go for standard and put my own stamp on it.Have relied on people at Scoobyworld for advice.ATB.

Last edited by QUICKSCOOB; 09 May 2010 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09 May 2010, 07:53 PM
kevaldo
Scooby Regular

The STI also has had its map done at TegSport in Carnforth there apparently very good, has anybody else heard anything about them? Apparently one of the best in the business.
Old 09 May 2010, 10:04 PM
dnc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by QUICKSCOOB
Got my 05 STi at 7 months old and standard.No experience of this type of car,but after 4yrs have just about got as i want.I would like you have been nervous buying tuned car whilst unsure of history.I personally prefer to go for standard and put my own stamp on it.Have relied on people at Scoobyworld for advice.ATB.
Good advice here, especially wrt a 13 yr old classic.
Old 09 May 2010, 10:57 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's been to TEG then it might have been in the North Lancs / Cumbria area so try posting on Cumbrianscoobs or LADS

If he's had 50 Impreza's then he must me known on this site LOL, any links to the car or his name

Shaun
Old 10 May 2010, 07:37 PM
kevaldo
Scooby Regular

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1616270.htm - This is the one I've been looking at, any views would be a great help.