Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Stupid to buy a Jap import?

Search this Thread

Old 27 March 2002, 08:23 PM
Deep Blue Mica
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in a bit of a quandary at the moment......the Jap new model STi is just awesome, but I'm aware of the usual problems associated with going down this route.....warranty, resale, servicing......strangely, Tesco insurance are quoting me LESS than for my modifird UK car!
Anyway, what I want to know is this: is it stupid to buy such a car or would I just be setting myself up for serious hassle?
I would really appreciate your comments on this matter.....

Thanks
DBM
Old 27 March 2002, 08:35 PM
Blooscoob
Scooby Newbie

Hi DBM,
I've got a Jap Import STi7 and no complaints so far. My local Subaru dealer is more than happy to service it and so far I have been very impressed (this is my first scooby).
Without teaching you to suck eggs, you just need to get the basics right when you buy it. Make sure than it is supplied with a third party warranty that is effective and comprehensive. BUT, to comply with the warranty, I have to have my car serviced every 6000 miles so that could be an expensive after thought over the 3 years that it is covered. Something else I would recommend that you get is a radar detector.......
Despite what the men of the cloth might argue, I believe that you only live once and I want to make the most of it!
Cheers
Blooscoob
Old 27 March 2002, 08:47 PM
Deep Blue Mica
Scooby Regular

Great stufff.....It's brilliant that this is your first Scoob!
As far as warranty goes, I take it you mean something like one from Warranty Holdings......parts and labour?
I agree with you about their performance......I'm used to Scoobs and I was shocked....and what about the way braking reaaranges your insidres, eh....? Magic!!!!

Cheers

DBM
Old 27 March 2002, 08:57 PM
KWS
Scooby Regular

Agree entirely with blooscoob.

Mine (blackscoob)is also my first scooby and I couldn't be more impressed. (My father has a spanking new 996 Carrera and even he has to admit to be blown away by the STi!!)

Get it - its worth it!!

KWS
Old 27 March 2002, 10:01 PM
cloudy
Scooby Regular

Just out of interest - how much is the insurance for the STi from Tesco ?
I know a 02 Jap import WRX with 370 miles going for 14995 - tempting but not if the insurance is prohibitive !
Old 27 March 2002, 10:26 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Cloudy, where is the £15k STI?
Old 27 March 2002, 10:27 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Ah, just noticed you said WRX not STI, quite a difference, small wheels/brakes etc
Old 27 March 2002, 10:40 PM
Deep Blue Mica
Scooby Regular

Cloudy.....
Tesco insurance is £856 for thr Jap STi.....good, eh?
DBM
Old 28 March 2002, 12:23 AM
Razor2001
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi guys,

I am glad to hear that there are some others out there with the JPN spec STI. I should be receiving my MY2001 JPN spec STI-GL, silver with 460 KMS on the ODO in a week or two. I can't wait !!!

Only thing that is kinda risky for me is I only get a 1 year warranty; however, I am hoping that my risk on the warranty issue is not too severe as Scoobies are known for their reliability, no ??? And since I am planning to keep it 100% stock (0-60 4.6 secs is good enough for me ) I am hoping the engine, drivetrain, etc will hold up no problem for me. Hmmmm, well I guess I need to change the 112mph limiter at the minimum

I can't wait for it to arrive.........still need to sell my old car....cross your fingers and hope the old car goes soon or I will be delaying delivery of my new Scoob

I hope my JPN spec gamble pays off

Cheers guys and good luck to the rest going down this road
Ray

Old 28 March 2002, 08:37 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Not being rude here, but are you absolutley sure Tesco covers the jap STi? thought they did not do jap imports, or maybe it's only modded jap imports they don't do? Not trying to scaremonger you, just don't want you to get the car then find out they won't insure it.
Old 28 March 2002, 09:10 AM
MelTypeR
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
You might want to try Privilege insurance the wre the cheapest by far on all the quotes i got.

I'm currently paying £1513 fully comp on my Sti5 type r, that includes my other half as a named driver and exhaust and filter disclosed to them all that and i've only just turned 25.

Not bad with a london postcode.

Mel.
Old 28 March 2002, 09:32 AM
Thegrimreaper
Scooby Regular

i am insured with tescos on a jap import and mine is a 93 wrx and they only wanted to charge me an extra £300 quid to upgrade it to a brand new one. i am paying 2 grand a year at the moment but admiral had quoted 6 grand!!
Old 28 March 2002, 05:34 PM
cloudy
Scooby Regular

DBM
I'm really surprised at that Tesco price - recently Tesco quoted me £1500
for a GTB - I'm 40 with a nice postcode !
Are you sure they know it's a Jap import ? I remember that they made little differentation between a WRX and an STi but this seems too good....

Old 28 March 2002, 06:59 PM
Deep Blue Mica
Scooby Regular

Honest guys......I queried this with them, making sure they realised it was an imported Jap STI.....the operator even repeated this back to me.....so presumably they would have to honour their quote because I could not have been any clearer!!
From my dealings with them, it seems that they are far more bothered about mods than anything else!

Cheers

DBM

PS: I'm 37....clean driving/insurance history.....good postcode!
Old 28 March 2002, 07:25 PM
Blooscoob
Scooby Newbie

DBM,
I insured mine through A-Plan - £850.00, including business use. No requirement for a Trakker, just the usual Thatcham alarm scenario, oh and I've got to keep it in my garage, hidden under 27 copies of The Sun (dated 22nd August 1973) and I have got to wear a brown paper bag over my head when I'm driving it in case someone recognises me, gets past the razorwire and machine gun nests, into my humble abode and makes off with said motor vehicle.
The baseball bats have been sharpened just in case.....
Blooscoob