Sponsored by:

Car accident and insurance only changing 3 tyres :-(

Search this Thread

Old 02 May 2010, 05:44 PM
Scoobedoo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car accident and insurance only changing 3 tyres :-(

My 2wd VW Golf car has recently been involved in a major accident. After an inspection the repairer has said that 3 of the 4 tyres needed replacing.
The accident was not my fault (other person has full liability)

Although that's good that I get new tyres I am left with one which is part worn, at 4mil.

I asked the repairer that surely I'd need four for handling reasons but he said that'll never wash with the insurance company and would only end up asking me to buy the 4th if I insisted it was needed.

Is this correct and do I have any powered to push them for the 4th tyre to be replaced. Seems totally unfair that I'm put in this situation due to some other persons mistake creatig all this agro.

I have always replaced 4 tyres when they come up for change and this leaves me having to change one on its own in future leaving me with an inbalance.

Any thoughts appreciated?
Old 02 May 2010, 06:56 PM
rosssti
Scooby Regular

hi pal, as a tyre is not illegal till it hits 1.6mm there is no way they would falk out for an extra tyre.

there will be an imballance of 4mm between your new tyres and the old 1,

you will not notice the difference...

ross
Old 02 May 2010, 06:58 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

If they won't replace all 4, I would get a part-worn of same make and model fitted opposite the one you're being made to keep. Try to get it done at insurer's expense, keeping the third new tyre to fit later on when actually needed.
Old 02 May 2010, 10:52 PM
tim's wrx
Scooby Regular

Why not just pay for a new 4th tyre yourself so you can have all tyres the same? the other three new ones paid for by insurance will probably be dead cheap made in china tyres anyway so probably won't cost you very much
Old 02 May 2010, 11:34 PM
L55 REP
Scooby Regular

or get a tyre company to fit the 4 but get them to bump the price of the 3 up to cover the 4th and get them to put on the invoice it was a buy three get one free deal
Old 02 May 2010, 11:45 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Put the part worn in the boot as a spare and buy the 4th new one to make them a set. I always love having 4 new tyres together.
Old 03 May 2010, 06:37 AM
stuart2088
Scooby Regular

Smile

I don't think you can expect anyone to replace the tyre at their expense just because its part worn thats your choice and responsibility.

Maybe you should ask them to replace all the light bulbs as the impact of the accident may have shortened their life.

Or ask them to replace the battery as being stood around whilst being repaired and lack of use may have had an impact on its life span.

Need to put your hand in your pocket if you desire a new tyre as the repairer has pointed out.
Old 03 May 2010, 10:28 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

So long as the tyres are the same brand and type (which they should be as the inurance co should replace like-for-like), then there is no cause for argument IMO.

A part worn tyre shouldn't really handle or grip any differently in the wet or dry to a new one with the exception of extreme surface water. And by putting on three new tyres the risk of aquaplaning happening has automatically been reduced.

Also the Ins co are putting you are in a position better than before by giving you three new tyres to replace three part worn tyres. Usually insurance companies only aim to put your car back to the same condition as it was in before the accident. So in fact with three new tyres, you have got something for nothing; a rare thing to happen when it comes to dealing with insurance companies!

Just make sure they are decent tyres, thats all. Michelins, Continentals, Good-Years etc. Not any thing crap, like Nankangs, Linglongs or Matadors etc. Unless thats what is already fitted (and if so; shame on you ).

Last edited by ALi-B; 03 May 2010 at 10:32 AM.