Sponsored by:

Should I Feel The Difference!

Search this Thread

Old 05 April 2010, 05:19 PM
MrMagoo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I Feel The Difference!

Right lads, in the middle of a long awaited modding session, just wanted to hear your comments on the mods being undertaken!

Have started it myself, but on hold till The mad Professors can help me out!

I have a 94 wrx, Im Currently fitting a Chip From Major Sarcasim, A front Mount, Apexi Induction Kit, 255 Walbro Fuel Pump and I have just fitted a decat downpipe.
The car itself is running perfect before the mods, all healthy, should I expect significant gains from this set up. Also gonna run dump valve less on the td05 for a bit, love the noise ( I know I know some people will bitch but please dont! Ive done quite a bit of research! and the td05 can take this mod)

Now the basics of modding have been done over the past few years, Brakes, Suspension, Exhaust, Oils, Plugs, Boost, Oil Pressure, Temp Guage.

The car will be put on the rollers after to check Air/Fuel and det...

Im thinking I should see quite a jump in power, delivery and smoothness.
Any comment of the educated type welcome!

Eoin
Old 05 April 2010, 05:27 PM
every1sgottablue1
Scooby Regular

Hi mate, I think you would feel significant gains from those Mods, however would you not consider having a Apexi Power FC, and having it mapped correctly
Old 05 April 2010, 05:31 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MrMagoo
Right lads, in the middle of a long awaited modding session, just wanted to hear your comments on the mods being undertaken!

Have started it myself, but on hold till The mad Professors can help me out!

I have a 94 wrx, Im Currently fitting a Chip From Major Sarcasim, A front Mount, Apexi Induction Kit, 255 Walbro Fuel Pump and I have just fitted a decat downpipe.
The car itself is running perfect before the mods, all healthy, should I expect significant gains from this set up. Also gonna run dump valve less on the td05 for a bit, love the noise ( I know I know some people will bitch but please dont! Ive done quite a bit of research! and the td05 can take this mod)

Now the basics of modding have been done over the past few years, Brakes, Suspension, Exhaust, Oils, Plugs, Boost, Oil Pressure, Temp Guage.

The car will be put on the rollers after to check Air/Fuel and det...

Im thinking I should see quite a jump in power, delivery and smoothness.
Any comment of the educated type welcome!

Eoin
For certain it will be laggier. The chip might speed things up on a TMIC but I think you'll be opting for a daughter board or Simtek pretty soon. Your mods are good but the injectors are preventing any serious jump in power. As for smoothness ? DV delete makes things jumpier on standard/generic map assumptions and you might experience more fuel cut from the decat. I'd say 90% there but I am not a fan of generic chips, at least your going to get it checked on the rollers which is very wise
Old 05 April 2010, 05:54 PM
MrMagoo
Scooby Regular

Realistically if i was to go for the apexi power fc, i wouldnt be doing it on a 94 wrx! I would prob be better off starting with an sti etc... I suppose im looking for good bang for buck! I would think that with the chip, decat, fuel pump and air filter it would raise the power noticably?

As for the DV Delete,ill try it out and see.
Will the car have much lag with the front mount?

Any other mods I can do that I can tinker with??
What would ye suggest to get to a stage where the next step is turbo change and injectors??
Old 05 April 2010, 05:54 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

With all the mods you have posted there i fitted to my first ever WRX, it went from 250 to 313 so quite a jump.
Old 05 April 2010, 06:07 PM
MrMagoo
Scooby Regular

Thats the answer i wanted to hear! Did the car run rich or lean or ok??
Which chip did you run?? What else can you recommend doing??
Old 05 April 2010, 06:20 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Realistically if i was to go for the apexi power fc, i wouldnt be doing it on a 94 wrx! I would prob be better off starting with an sti etc... I suppose im looking for good bang for buck! I would think that with the chip, decat, fuel pump and air filter it would raise the power noticably?

As for the DV Delete,ill try it out and see.
Will the car have much lag with the front mount?

Any other mods I can do that I can tinker with??
What would ye suggest to get to a stage where the next step is turbo change and injectors??
Why ? early classics WRX/STi are superb bases to being modding. Ask enough people and they will tell you what you want to hear lol.

You can argue numbers till the cows come home but for safety's sake you want min 440's and a replacement ECU to be sure you have 300+ safe horses under the bonnet. IMHO of course, plenty of others choose to wing it, some go bang, some don't.
Old 05 April 2010, 06:27 PM
MrMagoo
Scooby Regular

What i was saying is that if i was to go modding nuts id prob choose an sti classic as opposed to a wrx as it would be a better beginning base!

As for bigger injectors and ecu, budget wont allow at the mo so im trying to do this as cost effective BUT SAFELY as possible.
Old 05 April 2010, 06:41 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

Thats the answer i wanted to hear! Did the car run rich or lean or ok??
Which chip did you run?? What else can you recommend doing??
It was running an SB ecu from an early sti ra with the chip that subaru put in it to make 275ps. I had a dawes device set at the chips stock boost pressure(1.1bar)because the 3 port wouldnt hold boost. Apart from the it only had a walbro pump, fmic and an IK.

The SB ecu does run a little lean tho, i remember speaking to Scott T about it and he mentioned that it runs lean on the stock map.

wow...this was like 4 years ago now, time does fly here on SN..

Last edited by jayallen; 05 April 2010 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05 April 2010, 06:42 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

What i was saying is that if i was to go modding nuts id prob choose an sti classic as opposed to a wrx as it would be a better beginning base!
Well that is a point of discussion too the biggest factor is that the later STI's have better gearboxes, the engines have forged pistons but the rods are the same in all the 2ltr classic turbocharged cars, which really is the downside as those are the things that normally let go first if you over tune the engine (350bhp is deemed top end before replacing internals, though some run higher ok and some let go lower).

Tony