Aftermarket seats

Search this Thread

Old 31 March 2010, 08:32 AM
chris-boris
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket seats

Hi

I have been spending alot of time recently looking at aftermarket seats with a view to purchasing a drivers side seat with runners etc etc.

I already have a harness bar fitted and will get a harness to go with in the end.

Before i take the plunge and spend out i am looking for opinions both good and bad from people who have experienced living with and using a bucket seat.

I do intend on using the car on track so would like something that fits this but the car is also the daily driver for now so i need to take this into consideration aswell. The car is a 1999 type r.

Pleas elet me know what seat you were using, how you got on with it and, maybe most importantly, where i can get hold of these at a decent price!

Many thanks
Chris
Old 31 March 2010, 09:20 AM
wazzawrx
Scooby Regular

I used to have Sparco buckets in a old track car of mine, awesome on the track, but harnesses are a pain in the butt for driving about, getting in and out of them every day is not fun.
I found mine fairly comfortable unless going on a fair run and then my butt got a little numb
hope this help
Wazza
Old 31 March 2010, 09:29 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just fitted these, picked them up second hand from a mate

Biggest thing is width, I can get away with these (just) but anyone bigger than me (13 stone and 33" waist) would struggle getting in and out - they do grip though Just make sure you can fit comfortably in whatever seat you get. I don't have runners, which means the wifey can't reach the pedals

I kept the standard seatbelts for daily use

Old 31 March 2010, 10:59 PM
chris-boris
Scooby Regular

nice pics jon, that interior does look good. i missed out on one of those prodrive seats but in carbon on ebay the other day.

size-wise i am only a small individual so wont need any 'excel' sizes as corbeau so delicately put it!

i must admit one of my main areas for concern is long drives and numbness. would any of the seat insert type cushions help or are they a bit of a waste of time?

i would like to go sit in a few before parting with my hard earned but i do not know of anywhere down in kent where i can do that. i do get back to milton keynes about once a month but only ever at weekends and even then i can only think of the grandprix racewear shop at silverstone that may have a few in stock. any suggestions on where i can try some would be very welcome!
Old 31 March 2010, 11:02 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

I had a set of corbeau's in my last car and the only thing I added was a lumbar cushion, I used to commute 50 miles a day on a car lowered 60mm with them and no issues at all. Also did some long runs with no dramas
Old 31 March 2010, 11:56 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Unless you have a rear rollcage at least, I wouldnt entertain using harnesses. In a substantial accident theyre more likely to kill you than save you. By all means fit a one piece competition seat - youll probably find that this alone will hold you in place sufficiently. Harnesses, competition seats and rollover protection all belong together, but you cant add any of them on their own apart from the seats. Cage tubing requires a substantially lowered seat (even if youre always wearing a helmet - not practical, even though its legal) and harness require a proper seat and rollover protection.

I realise that saying this always ruffles feathers, but it is certainly correct.

Those Prodrive Sparcos look very smart btw.
Old 01 April 2010, 12:23 AM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same seats as JonMc and like GC8 says they work just fine with the normal seat belts. I had harnesses in my car when i first got it and i hated them for day to day use. As for long trips we went from central Scotland down to Chester last summer and i never had any problem with mine.
Old 01 April 2010, 12:39 AM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

I understand why a rollcage without helmet could pose a serious injury risk, but I'm not sure I see where the problem would be with a harness and no rollcage. Is this just down to the greater risk of being trapped inside a badly deformed car after a crash, or are they a potential hazard during the impact itself?
Old 01 April 2010, 06:47 AM
speights
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chris-boris
Hi

I have been spending alot of time recently looking at aftermarket seats with a view to purchasing a drivers side seat with runners etc etc.

I already have a harness bar fitted and will get a harness to go with in the end.

Before i take the plunge and spend out i am looking for opinions both good and bad from people who have experienced living with and using a bucket seat.

I do intend on using the car on track so would like something that fits this but the car is also the daily driver for now so i need to take this into consideration aswell. The car is a 1999 type r.

Pleas elet me know what seat you were using, how you got on with it and, maybe most importantly, where i can get hold of these at a decent price!

Many thanks
Chris
HI
I have put sparco evos in my sti really nice seats .I did 560 miles one sunday and found them fine comfort wise
Old 01 April 2010, 07:46 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

I have retained the factory seatbelts for daily use as they are more practical, and the harnesses for track use. They are attached to a harness bar - so not quite a rollcage, but substantial mounting points all the same.
Old 01 April 2010, 07:47 AM
every1sgottablue1
Scooby Regular

You may be interested in this mate, if you are after a single seat. Electric as well! http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Impreza-Prodri...ht_3749wt_1074
Old 01 April 2010, 07:49 AM
every1sgottablue1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonMc
Just fitted these, picked them up second hand from a mate

Biggest thing is width, I can get away with these (just) but anyone bigger than me (13 stone and 33" waist) would struggle getting in and out - they do grip though Just make sure you can fit comfortably in whatever seat you get. I don't have runners, which means the wifey can't reach the pedals

I kept the standard seatbelts for daily use

Loving them, you jammy git