Sponsored by:

Backboxes and indicator lenses

Search this Thread

Old 24 March 2002, 08:21 PM
megabusa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Are the new WRX models as 'responsive' to the fitment of a s/s backbox as the original models. I owned both a '96 and a '98 model in the past, both of which sounded bloody great with the simple fitment of such item.
Also, where could I get colour coded side markers and indicators from?

Cheers.
'Busa
Old 24 March 2002, 08:33 PM
WRXBOB
Scooby Regular

Hi
I got the TSL back box on my '02WRX, it sounds GREAT and together with the ITG filter it does make a real difference

I went for the Subaru white/clear side indicators(£30) and side marker/reflectors(£47) as I think they look fab on my silver car. Look good on the WR Blue too as per the UK300
Be warned 'cos some websites are selling the Subaru lenses for more than the dealer price

Lots of other choices like carbon fibre, GRP etc for the reflectors or you could have the OEM ones colour coded?

BOB

[Edited by WRXBOB - 3/24/2002 8:47:56 PM]
Old 24 March 2002, 09:28 PM
tinydelete
Scooby Regular

I RECENTLY HAD A SCOOBY SPORT BACK BOX FITTED ON MY NEW 01 WRX,AND WHAT A DIFFERENCE IT HAS MADE, GREAT SOUNDS,BETTER PICK UP ALSO WITH AN ITG PANEL FILTER, I OWN A BLUE MICA AND HAD MY HORRIBLE ORANGE SIDE REFLECTORS POWDER COATED SAME AS CAR FOR ABOUT £30, ALSO GOT BLUE INDICATOR LENSES FROM SS LOOKS GREAT NOW ALSO NOW RUNNING ON SHELL OPTIMAX AND MILLERS OCTANE BOOSTER WHAT A DIFFERENCE WICKEEEEEED!!!!!!!!!
Old 24 March 2002, 09:30 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

WRXBob - did u listen to both or just chose the TSL one? I wanna know which is the better sounding of the TSL ans SS B/Boxes (on an MY02 WRX) as this is a choice Im gonna have to make in the coming months. I think SS may win out purely as essex is nearer than TSL in Nottingham although could be a good excuse to sample Trousers tea
Old 24 March 2002, 10:08 PM
WRXBOB
Scooby Regular

P1,
The choice of bb is down to personal taste.
I had seen and heard a SS on a MY01(51 reg)and I thought it was loud but not quite to my taste(loudness was not my priority) so I was unsure as to which bb to fit. Then I went to TSL for a chat about Eibachs. Trouser fired up his dad's '02 WRX and it sounded excellent, giving that lovely flat4boxer engine burble without being too loud when revved hard. In TSL's reception area they have a display stand with the TSL bb and the SS bb (they are the Midlands outlet for SS stuff) I liked the quality 304/16 grade stainless steel and the excellent designed mountings which use "R" clips on the ends to prevent the bb from coming off its mounts. Within 24hrs my mate and me both had TSL back boxes fitted.
And I would recomend the ITG panel filter too.

All this is just IMHO

I would recommend that you see and hear both before making your choice, both are priced the same.
Have you seen the threads somewhere on the BBS about SS back boxes? something about they vary in sound quality depending on which person made them? think it was in Drivetrain but not sure.

Read the last post in this thread, it seems the quality of the SS bb is not consistent!

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...threadid=81927

Just a thought...as TSL have both types in stock, if you went to TSL you could have the choice and decide which sounded best for you?

BOB

[Edited by WRXBOB - 3/24/2002 10:13:07 PM]
Old 25 March 2002, 09:34 AM
Jon1T
Scooby Regular

interesting thread as I'm also looking a getitng a bb - what's the warrantly situation with both. Does they inavlidate the warranty as far as the exhaust system goes- the whole warranty - or don't they have any effect at all? I remeber scoobysport claiming their bb were fittred by some dealers...I think..
Old 25 March 2002, 10:27 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

But was the SS you listened to just the BB or the whole exhaust system as surely that would have a bearing on how loud it is? Im looking for something very loud so perhaps the SS is for me - think I need to go to a meet once I have the car and then decide
Old 25 March 2002, 10:33 AM
Thegrimreaper
Scooby Regular

i am looking for an exhaust for my caR but dont really want to decat it but still want it to sound good, performance at the moment is not a great concern as i still havnt got bored of driving my import wrx standard so what is a good choice for nice sounding bb?