Sponsored by:

Tesco 99 - or was it?

Search this Thread

Old 16 February 2010, 12:56 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tesco 99 - or was it?

I have the choice in my area of either Shell V-power or Tesco 99 Yesterday (with the petrol light on) I put in £25 of Tesco 99, which I've used many times before. During the drive I accelerated in 3rd up to 6200 and suddenly got a warning and a big number on the KS3 knock sensor. Checking on the AVC-R I had used only 44% throttle and just 1.34 bar boost.
As Tesco use both 97 and 99 RON fuels I start to worry that when the 99 runs low they'll accept 97 if the better stuff isn't immediatly available!
Has anyone else had any suspicions as to what you really are getting at Tescos?

JohnD

Last edited by JohnD; 16 February 2010 at 12:58 PM.
Old 16 February 2010, 12:58 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy a couple of bottles of actane booster, just incase.... another KS3 watcher !

dunx

P.S. Could have been contaminated, or "ordinary" in the wrong tank....

Last edited by dunx; 16 February 2010 at 01:03 PM.
Old 16 February 2010, 12:58 PM
Spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

I hope not as the RS has been run mostly on Tesco 99, altho noticed last week that Rayleigh shell was the same price as tesco so might well swap to that from now.
Old 16 February 2010, 02:26 PM
Gooch
Scooby Newbie

My uncle has a diesel Toyota Rav 4 and he always filled up at the local tesco untill his engine manegement light came on. When he took it to the mechanic he said it was a fuel problem caused by dirty fuel getting into the engine, which he said is common when regularly fuelling at either Asda or Tesco. Insurance paid out right enough but could of been worse if they didnt cover him for it.
Old 16 February 2010, 03:11 PM
RJMS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JohnD
As Tesco use both 97 and 99 RON fuels I start to worry that when the 99 runs low they'll accept 97 if the better stuff isn't immediatly available!
Has anyone else had any suspicions as to what you really are getting at Tescos?

JohnD
I'd be very surprised if Tesco's were selling anything other than what is marked on the pump. Can you imagine the uproar if it was discovered that they were selling an inferior product as the proper stuff. I just can't see it happening somehow at least not deliberately.
Old 16 February 2010, 03:13 PM
porteouz
Scooby Regular

Used to work with a guy whos wife worked at BP oil refinery and she said it wasnt uncommon for the pumps to have the wrong fuel in them
Old 16 February 2010, 03:20 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

The problem I have with V-Power isn't the fuel, it's every other month there's a story in the local paper about a load of people getting their cards cloned at the station.
Old 16 February 2010, 04:14 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Neanderthal
The problem I have with V-Power isn't the fuel, it's every other month there's a story in the local paper about a load of people getting their cards cloned at the station.
Pay cash

Tony
Old 16 February 2010, 04:15 PM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

I've been using only V-Power in my96 WRX from my local Shell station for almost 2 years now and I have never had my card cloned (theres never any money in my account anyway) or any other fuel related problems. Maybe you live in a crime hotspot Shell V-Power FTW
Old 16 February 2010, 04:35 PM
robimportwagon
Scooby Regular

be carefull with tesco's they put too much detergent additive and silicates in the fuel as it is mixed when being pumped off the boats at their refinery/docks, i had a full on row with a tesco forecourt manager about this before because the fuel kept bubbling up too much and tripping the pump off. he was a right *** about it until he was airborn in which case i no longer use tesco's (banned), an do not use asda their fuel quality isnt much better than india's so its v-power all the way for me + some track spec octane booster.
Old 16 February 2010, 04:44 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

I thought 99 came from a different source (Greenergy) than their normal grades.

JohnD
Old 16 February 2010, 05:06 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

My local Shell station has its own Facebook group now Don't fill your car up at Shell Cressex, High Wycombe!!!. I've had two cards cloned there over the last couple of years.
Old 16 February 2010, 05:27 PM
scixer6r
Scooby Regular

Remember the TESCO fuel fiasco ,Writing off peoples motors because of crap fuel.For that reason im out lmhao,never would trust supermarket fuel coz you here too many bad things about them.
Old 16 February 2010, 07:24 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

heard about a porsche filling up at my local tesco in rochdale got a load off contaminated fuel in it wudnt run tesco aggreed to pay to fix it saying that a few years ago i put 97ron in my vectra v6 at esso fooked that up contaminated fuel
Old 16 February 2010, 08:14 PM
Vr5RA_Matchew
Scooby Regular

Every shell and bp in the sutton coldfield/streetly area clone cards i know loads of people who been done pay strictly cash, i wouldnt use tesco 99 heard too many horror stories.

The tescos by me in new oscott put diesel in the petrol pumps **** that!!!!
Old 16 February 2010, 08:28 PM
mj0n3s
Scooby Regular

not saying was anything to do with the fuel but always run her on vpower, but one day i was on the petrol light so filled up with tesco 99. 30 miles later engine went bang. makes me think now reading this thread.
Old 16 February 2010, 08:36 PM
Noris8322
Scooby Regular

I've been having problems with supermarket diesel for ages

The company I work for have told us to use Tescos, but it is f*cking my work van!! After problems when turning left, which turned out to be the a blocked fuel filter. Been though 4 diesel filters in 30k miles, ford recomend that fuel filter is changed every 30k miles

The other problems ive had are poor performance, poor MPG, rough running & cold starting

None of these problems are there when running on Shell, but we get moaned at for using Shell or BP. They moan even more when we fill up with BP Ultimate or Shell Optimax Diesel, but well worth it as it goes like stink!! lol
Old 16 February 2010, 09:14 PM
lotusilan
Scooby Regular

I used tesco fuel for years and had no issues. In fact with my old Focus RS it ran higher figures on the dyno with Tesco 99 than it did with Shell V-Power!
Old 17 February 2010, 09:46 AM
Herbie.
Scooby Regular

Been using Tesco 99 since it first came on the market. Never had any issues.
Old 17 February 2010, 09:58 AM
LIL KOY
Scooby Newbie

I have been using Tesco 99 since last April, not had any problems, (touch wood!!!) but for the last few months on very cold days, it engine sometimes struggle's to start, not sure if its the car, (Blob WRX MY04) or the fuel,

Regards

Koy
Old 17 February 2010, 11:04 AM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

That's happened a few times allegedly at the one near where I work. I had mine done too
Old 17 February 2010, 11:13 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

In a parallel vein, do the "card into pump" systems prevent cloning ?

dunx
Old 17 February 2010, 11:53 AM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

Had problems with silikone in the fuel a year back with all my customers cars. Shell are usually the most competatively priced station near me, don't know if its the same for all you lot out in the sticks!
Old 17 February 2010, 01:01 PM
fent
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dunx
In a parallel vein, do the "card into pump" systems prevent cloning ?

dunx
When i used to have a comapny car we were told never to use the pay at pump facility, apparently this uses old technology and isn't protected by the chip and pin stuff. i never use these now even in my own cars.

Reading this thread i wonder if it could be the fuel causing my poor starting, every now and again the car just doesn't want to start and this can be when cold or when warm.
I am gonna try switching to shell but i I prefer to pay by card for the tesco points and i wouldn't trust the staff at my local shell garage.
Old 17 February 2010, 02:00 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rookymatt
Had problems with silikone in the fuel a year back with all my customers cars. Shell are usually the most competatively priced station near me, don't know if its the same for all you lot out in the sticks!
That was a problem with Tesco's (and others?) "ordinary" fuels. It didn't affect the 99 as it comes from a different supplier.

JohnD
Old 17 February 2010, 02:30 PM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

Ah i see. Either way, i usually always use vpower. Only let the "baru" sup from about £10 worth of tesco 99 if i'm low and there is no shell around.
Old 17 February 2010, 02:49 PM
STI Mav
Scooby Regular

Only ever used Tesco 99 in my Scooby. Partly because we don't have a local Shell Garage in and around Chelmsford at all, but also because it's already been proven to be one of the better fuels on the market - there's was an independant test done a while back by motorsport tuner Thorney and they concluded that Tesco's 99 was one of the best you can use.

Also found this from Whatcar as well - Tested: the best performance fuels - Car and Car-Buying News - What Car?

Last edited by STI Mav; 17 February 2010 at 03:15 PM.
Old 17 February 2010, 03:05 PM
mje_wrx
Scooby Regular

after a rebuild i done, iv done 1200 miles on tesco 99 only and big end 3 had packed up and the center thrust bearing. dunno if its fuel related or oil. never know, interesting reading tho.
Old 17 February 2010, 03:35 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Going back 5 years ago, i always filled up my legacy gtb with optimax,when tesco started doing 99 ,i used that as it was nearer.After 6 months of me using it, it was reported that the spec no's on the pump were for 97 octane rating fuel - which tesco had been selling as 99. Have used it since and not had any probs with my motor.