Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering Blob-Eye Wagon - info required?!

Search this Thread

Old 14 February 2010, 08:03 PM
ScoobyRalph
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering Blob-Eye Wagon - info required?!

Good evening all

I am as you can see new here but seems a cracking place to get some informed opinions and advice with regards to an impending purchase.

My situation is i have recently sold my VX220 due to the expected arrival of a new addition to the family later this year!! Which is very exciting in itself and already i can see my priorities changing.

What i want to do is purchase a car which can cart the family and associated baggage around in comfort but more importantly safety but on the days when the back seat is empty still provides the element of driving pleasure i have come to enjoy over the years from the succesion of cars i have been lucky enough to own.

So how does the Wagon fair as a family car?? It will be a family/second car as i work very close to home and tend to hop on me bike most days due to parking issues so often it will be remain on the drive and the wfife has a Mini Cooper which when i am at work she will use for herself and the baby more than likely.

I will be looking at the blob eye version which i believe as standard produces 225bhp which will be more than adequate for me.

Anything in particular i need to look for? I have read the buyers guide on the Scoobypedia page and it didn't seem to refer to anything in specific and the ones i am looking at are relatively low miles and have full Subaru histories which is half the battle i guess.

Any words of wisdom or ownership experiences from members using theirs in a similar way would be most welcome.

Regards

Ralph

Last edited by ScoobyRalph; 17 February 2010 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Now bought one!
Old 14 February 2010, 10:22 PM
Apostle
Scooby Regular

Cool The man from Del Monte - He say YES !

Ralph I had a Bug eyed wagon for 3 1/2 yrs as my family car and it was great. Big enuf boot for anything and with the seats down got a large fridge freezer in too . lol

They are great motors if loooked after properly i.e. regularly serviced, not thrashed etc etc. You will find a nice one out there somewhere mate.

BUT... you must do a couple of minor things to set it free.

Ecutek remap, panel filter replacement and new full exhaust will give you 280 - 290 bhp safely and give you a really amazing car.

Then prodrive springs and a decent 4 wheel alignment and you'll have it on rails.

Mine was in this spec and wasn't un-family friendly at all. Just a great understated / underated sleeper which suited me just fine.

Granby has a thread in projects where he took a blob wagon on an incredible journey. Go read it and you'll see what good cars they are.

Hope you find a good one.

A
Old 15 February 2010, 06:03 AM
ScoobyRalph
Scooby Regular

Thanks Apostle, that's exactly what I was after ownership experiences from people in a similar position to me.

Initially we were looking at Audi estates but the price vs mileage wad mental, at the amount I am looking to outlay for a Wagon with 50k miles I was going to get an older Audi with 100k+ miles!!!!

No contest in my book, and by the sounds of it a perfect all rounder. My interest/hobby has always been cars and you try finding another estate which ticks all the boxes PLUS when the passenger seat is empty you still have a performance car!!!

Are there any particular tuners when considering the mods you mention?? I see so many - Power Engineering, TSL, Forrest etc etc.

The specific car i am looking at has a Pro Drive exhaust which I would assume is a cheeky little bonus so would just be the ecutek map and filter in that case.

Also are there any Subaru specific parts suppliers for odds and ends like lights, trim, interior bits and bobs??

Cheers

Ralph
Old 15 February 2010, 08:19 AM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

If it were me, I'd just get one with PPP rather than spend money on mods post-purchase.

It doesn't seem to increase the values much and you get 265/265, which I find perfectly adequate for the road on my wagon.

For me, its an ideal all-round car. The only downside is the fuel consumption at about 26mpg, but thats the trade-off for the performance.

There are also SL versions which have a sunroof aswell as the air-con and leather interior.
Old 15 February 2010, 10:38 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

I did the same as apostle and it was spot on. 225bhp sounds like a lot but after a VXR you might actually miss a bit of the sillyness.

If you get an ECUtek map you can get switchable boost so 225bhp and 0.8bar boost for motorways/family days and 275bhp for fun days/overtaking if needed.

We found it a superb family vehicle. Has roof bars too just in case you need to add even more load space!

5t.
Old 15 February 2010, 11:06 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rossyboy
If it were me, I'd just get one with PPP rather than spend money on mods post-purchase.

It doesn't seem to increase the values much and you get 265/265, which I find perfectly adequate for the road on my wagon.

For me, its an ideal all-round car. The only downside is the fuel consumption at about 26mpg, but thats the trade-off for the performance.

There are also SL versions which have a sunroof aswell as the air-con and leather interior.
I got mine to 276 BHP for less maoney than a PPP.

Fuel pump, panel filter, EcuTEK remap, Eibach's fitted to second hand STi shocks and a WR Sport Backbox and a de-resonated centre box.

I have pic's in my gallery
Old 15 February 2010, 11:08 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

https://www.scoobynet.com/picture.ph...pictureid=5656
Old 15 February 2010, 02:28 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Dragoon
I got mine to 276 BHP for less maoney than a PPP.

Fuel pump, panel filter, EcuTEK remap, Eibach's fitted to second hand STi shocks and a WR Sport Backbox and a de-resonated centre box.

I have pic's in my gallery
Yeah, but what I'm saying is that if it has PPP already fitted when he buys it, it wont cost anything for that extra performance.
Old 15 February 2010, 03:49 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Rossy, I agree but if it isn't PPP'd the alternative is available. Secondly, he can get it the way he wants not Subaru .
Old 15 February 2010, 07:24 PM
ScoobyRalph
Scooby Regular

Well the one I have seen has the Prodrive bacbox so with the addition of ecutek map and filter I have a homegrown PPP pack haven't I?!?

Fivetide - where is the ecutek map available? I am based near Bristol so not sure if anyone is local? Glad to hear it suited you as a family vehicle, most I have spoken too seem to concur which is reassuring.

Hear the arguement for and against the PPP however on the basis of the insurance quotes I have had today I think I am best sticking to standard.

Ralph
Old 15 February 2010, 08:22 PM
Apostle
Scooby Regular

Wink Hi

Ralph based near Bristol you have a few choices for ecutek.

Litchfield Imports (got my old car from them) or Powerstation both next door to one another.

Or down to Plymouth for Enginetuner / Alan Jeffrey's setup.

Or JGM aka Simon Roe will do you a map as he is mobile.

They will all charge £550 plus vat - if its offered any cheaper be careful...

The big difference between a PPP and aftermarket goodies is how it drives -not outright power. I believe it still has the restrictive downpipe which affects spool up and throttle control. Standard they have wooly throttles and a narrow powerband (realisitically 4000 - 6000 revs), after freeing up the exhaust (up-pipe is important for good response) and remap the car is dramatically different - sharper throttle and power from 3000 - 6500 revs.

When the time comes for a new clutch get a lightened flywheel (about 6kg) as I found it was a cheap mod which made a marked difference in engine pick up. Well looked after standard brakes did me fine - there are lots of options there too.

I replaced my up-pipe with a slip jointed one, downpipe with a sportscat version, mid section had it resonated (looked like a cherry bomb in the pipe), and used a new PPP backbox. The sound was deep and purposeful BUT not droney or too loud.

All bits I had fitted were from Hayward and Scott (possibly one of the better / best manufacturers) and were absolute top quality. FWIW I did try a TSL group N backbox which was VERY loud and lasted about 3 days (felt like some mega embarrassed spotty teenage ****).

They are nice cars taken to this level - any further and you need big money - or maybe a different car.

Only other thing I never did but considered strongly was to port the standard headers for a few extra horses AND further improved turbo spool / throttle feel - ie on boost earlier / increasing depth of power band again.

Last bit of advice - maybe choose to have it mapped on the road and not rolling road only - a contentious issue BUT 'I think' you'll get a better drive out of it that way.

Go well...

A
Old 15 February 2010, 10:04 PM
ScoobyRalph
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all your advice Apostle its been really useful and the heads up on local tuners is ace ta!

The flywheel sounds a good mod, what sort of mileage do they need the clutch doing or does it vary?

I have tentatively made arrangements to view the one i have seen tomorrow afternoon however based on the advert, photos and conversations with the owner there would have to be something seriously wrong for me to come home empty handed........

Just one thing i wanted to ask, whats the test you do to check the turbo isn't smoking?? I am sure its something like accelerate from slow speed in 3rd gear or something similar?

Having only covered 49k with full history and all the receipts i am hoping all will be in good order so watch this space?!?!?

Lastly anything in particular to look out/listen out for on the test drive?

Regards

Ralph
Old 16 February 2010, 11:04 AM
Apostle
Scooby Regular

Wink Today !

Hi Ralph

Dont know about any turbo tests but when I sold mine at 45k little things started to need replacing with the wear and tear. Discs could be worn - check for grooves / scoring as well. Driving at slow speeds turning from lock to lock will show any driveshaft wear - I replaced mine at 42k on the front. I'd really want to see the mileage correspond on every service / MOT paperwork. If its not been serviced recently ask for the cost of the next service off the asking price. Are the tyres good , worn evenly across the tread? 4 new tyres will cost £ 400 and a decent 4 wheel computer geometry set up another £ 200 (this should be your first mod).

And the bodywork should be good, watch out for any misaligned panels.

lastly if its to good to br true - it well might be.

Its your money - you can always walk away if not 100% sure.
Good luck

A
Old 17 February 2010, 07:59 AM
ScoobyRalph
Scooby Regular

Well thanks for everyone help I travelled up yesterday on the train to view the car and suffice to say it was stunning and now sits proudly on my drive!!!

Standby for pictures............

Ralph
Old 17 February 2010, 09:22 AM
ScoobyRalph
Scooby Regular

Well here are a couple for now, i need to get a good day on it to give it a full detail but its looking good i reckon!!!

Cheers

Ralph
Old 17 February 2010, 09:46 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

That's looking shiny... does it already have an exhaust on it?

When I had mine mapped (watch for group buys, that's the way to get it cheaper).

FYI I did:

De-resonated centre pipe
middle cat removed (left in up and down pipe cats)
Scoobyworld back box
Samco uprated intercooler hoses

Those mods alone and with a map got to 275bhp. Plus it still passed the MOT and I had switchable boost. If you want it to be a reliable family motor and not have any issues I would say that's all you really need to do. Car was mapped by Andy Forrest but the others listed seem to have good reputations too.

I would invest in some mudflaps (stop the chips up the side of the car) and a load liner from Subaru if it doesn't have one and you want to keep the back tidy.

5t.
Old 17 February 2010, 10:00 AM
ScoobyRalph
Scooby Regular

Thanks fivetide, yeah it's shiny but it needs a good claying all over then sealing and waxing but I need a dry day for that so could be a while off!!

Yes it has a Prodrive exhaust fitted by Subaru not long after being bought new and it sounds lovely, just like a Subaru should.

I was thinking about just getting it mapped to be honest, what with the exhaust already dome and it has an uprated panel filter too. Was going to have a chat with some of the tuners mentioned and see what they think.

In the boot it has a full Subaru waterproof load liner, I think it's designed for dogs but doesn't look (or smell!) like it's ever seen one! It has the cargo cover, Subaru dog guard between the boot and cabin plus a Subaru resin bumper protector so I reckon it's all set for the rigours of family life!!!!

Still just loving how solid and safe it feels if that makes sense??

Ralph
Old 17 February 2010, 10:46 AM
superstar1
BANNED

Nice Wagon Ralph, now get yourself over to the Wagon thread in members gallery.

https://www.scoobynet.com/members-ga...ml#post3938970
Old 17 February 2010, 10:54 AM
ScoobyRalph
Scooby Regular

Cheers superstar1 will get a couple of pics up on that thread shortly.

Ralph
Old 17 February 2010, 10:59 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Hmmm if its had a filter and a prodrive exhaust i'd be checking for PPP you know... good back box to keep, even if you de-cat the middle section as it will keep the performance without making you sound like a chav.

Deffo not had PPP?

Sounds like you've got a top motor... what sort of price did you give?

Also, the Samco hoses were the only recommended mod from Andy F. The standard pipe is a thin black plastic effort, the Samco set is a much less restrictive flexible hose so makes the intercooler more efficient. Easy to fit too.

5t.
Old 17 February 2010, 11:14 AM
ScoobyRalph
Scooby Regular

As far as I can see from the paperwork it doesn't have PPP, I have the original bill of sale and it's not shown on there??

It certainly seems to be a cherished example, has every bill and receipt from new with all the mileages correct so real pleased!

I paid late 6's which I think for the age, condition and miles is pretty bang on.

Cheers for the heads up on the hose issue, something to give some thought.

Ralph
Old 17 February 2010, 11:04 PM
Apostle
Scooby Regular

Talking Nice one...

Well done Ralph - nice looking wagon there.

Desperate for springs and alignment as first mod

Enjoy

A
Old 17 February 2010, 11:19 PM
ScoobyRalph
Scooby Regular

Thanks Apostle, i am really pleased with it, few subtle tweaks in my head but we will see. Still revelling in the whole 'new car' feeling.

Ralph