Sponsored by:

Impreza Tops US Crash Tests

Search this Thread

Old 22 March 2002, 09:33 AM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

As the title says, the US Insurance Institute for Highway Safety has just completed its "offset" test on a variety of cars, including the MY02 Impreza. Apparantly, this test is much tougher than the Federal safety tests that the car has already passed.

Possible score ratings are “good,” “acceptable,” “marginal,” or “poor.”

SUBARU IMPREZA
First up is the Subaru Impreza on its maiden voyage down this runway.

“This is what we want to see — the safety cage remaining intact, all of the crash damage confined to the front end of the vehicle,” says Brian O’Neill, president of the Insurance Institute, after viewing the crash test video.

O’Neill and his staff send the Subaru Impreza to the head of its class. Not only do they give it a “good” rating, they make it a “best pick.”

Gives you confidence, 'eh?
Old 22 March 2002, 01:29 PM
catflap
Scooby Regular

Talking

you know there is a risk assessment theory that states the safer you think you are the more risks youll take.

Eg drive around n a car wth no seet belts and a protruding spike on the steering wheel, with a big box of c4 strapped to the fron, and youll take you time LOL (dont ask why you`d even get in such a car in the first place hehe)

Vs a car made of indestructible material that if dropped form a thousand foot youll not even be shaken up. Youll take more risks.

This is one reason(this is pure speculation) that drivers of volvos drive the way they do - reckless grrrrr (i just got a grip coz one decoded to challenge my cbr 400, the swine won, and i broke 16 bones,)
Abs is another example of this, people leaving their breaking later and later relying on the safe technology (again just speculation and observations i have mad whie driving with people who do, and those who dont have abs)

Insurance companies use this quite a bit, when they ask your job, if its deemed that you are used to taking risks there, youll take risks when you drive, last time i told them my job was ninja, my premium shot, now i tell them the truth, im just a teacher (they laffed at me)
LOl

but thats a good report for the scoob

This could make for a very interesting study
Old 22 March 2002, 01:36 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Subaru dealer alert - make room for all those part-exed volvos
Old 22 March 2002, 04:52 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Happy to be driving around in something that's tops for active AND passive safety!
Old 22 March 2002, 07:33 PM
saxovts2000
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't drive around like a plonker even if I was in a safe car....I would want my pride and joy getting hurt!!! (or my pride come to mention it )

[Edited by saxovts2000 - 3/23/2002 8:59:26 AM]
Old 22 March 2002, 08:08 PM
Yorkie
Scooby Regular

Agree, just because you drive a safe car doesn't mean you want to wreck it. I for one wish to keep my car in original factory condition for as long as I keep it and that means NOT crashing into anything. The fact that the car is safe is a blessing if the unfortunate does happen.

Yorkie
Old 23 March 2002, 08:22 AM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Agreed guys - just a bit of extra peace of mind though, after all, there's plenty of other ****heads around out there......