Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Isofix Car seats in a Classic???

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2010, 10:25 AM
Dannybwoy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Isofix Car seats in a Classic???

I have used the search function but not found what i need ( i searched using ISOFIX as my search criteria)

Will the Isofix base (the one with the pole to the floor) fit in the back seat of a classic?

All the search results were talking about newer cars that sound like they have OM fitted anchor points??

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Dan

Last edited by Dannybwoy; 14 January 2010 at 11:45 AM.
Old 14 January 2010, 10:43 AM
Abx
Scooby Regular

I doubt it, we now have a maxi cosy with the base, pole and lugs out the back that clip into the manufactur isofix points under the back of the rear seat.

Saying that my bro in law in his Merc has pretty much the same seat, model down I think which has the base and pole just not the rear isofix lugs, so in essence is not isofix, is just held in place using seat belt, pole obviously helps.

Will have a quick search and report back.

Oh and be careful what you buy, when my daughter was born we had a Recaro Isofix seat which was rated by Which (sp) magazine as one of the best on the market, only came second as it was pretty expensive compared to the winner, when she grew out of it I wanted a Recaro again (model up) but the magazine said that should you have an accident then your child WILL be hurt, obviously put us off of a Recaro for our current seat size. Think you can subscribe to the Which online for a few quid and well worth it in my opinion!
Old 14 January 2010, 10:49 AM
Abx
Scooby Regular

This is what we have in our 08 STI does not show the leg but ours does have one

Maxi Cosi Priorifix Isofix car seat - Cappuccino Reflection : mothercare- Nursery Equipment, Maternity Clothes & Baby Shop

Think you can use this base also, its Isofix but can also just use seat belt for the seat, base just gi9ve you some extra safty

Maxi Cosi Easyfix base - semi universal : mothercare- Nursery Equipment, Maternity Clothes & Baby Shop

Best thing to do is pop to Mothercase as ask there advice as they provide a fitting service.

Arron
Old 14 January 2010, 11:02 AM
Dannybwoy
Scooby Regular

OK, brilliant, thanks for that.

I think the Mrs and I misunderstand Isofix by the look of it. Is it only classed as Isofix if it is fitted in the car to the OEM anchor points? And if the anchor points are not present you can still use the base it just isnt classified as Isofix?

We were going to pop into Halfords/Mothercare etc to ask but i thought I would try and save us some time.

Thanks again

Dan
Old 14 January 2010, 11:24 AM
Abx
Scooby Regular

Thats it, on the base comment though I think they sell the seats with 2 options, maxi cosy for example sell the Priori which is a seatbelt secured seat with a base, they also sell the priorfix wich is an Isofix secured seat with a base.

To use a 'real' Isofix seat your car as to have Isofix anchors as standard (you can have them retro fitted but not a cheap option), basically an Isofix seat does not use the seatbelt in anyway to hold it in place. However nowadays may seat makers give you the option of buying seats with 'isofix style' bases to make things a little easier and have legs etc so added safty, you have to use the seatbelt though to secure the seat.

Good luck with it all and start getting up at 1am every night to get used to what is about to come, oh and poor your breakfast over your left shoulder in the mornings to get used to having food encrusted clothes for work, LOL!!
Old 14 January 2010, 11:44 AM
Dannybwoy
Scooby Regular

Lol, thanks mate

I already have a little lad (i say little, he is 12 this year) from previous marraige, so am unfortunately well aware of the rigours to come!!

When i was with the ex though and Harry was little, Isofix didnt exist and even if it did we wouldnt have had enough money to afford a car with Isofix -ing anchor points etc, it was the old school seat bealt effort.

Things are a little different now though money wise, but my Mrs has a classic and will be off work doing most of the running around etc while I am at work. So we needed to know if they will fit or not. I am hoping to sell my classic this weekend and get a 5 Series Beemer, so we will have to see if they are compatible also.

What joy!

Dan
Old 14 January 2010, 11:54 AM
Abx
Scooby Regular

Cool, I think it was from about 2000 that they started fitting cars with Isofix, saying that though my Bro in laws 02 Merc does not have it as it was a factory cost option, cheap skates!

You may find though that if it does not have it you can just buy the brackets as some newer cars have the mounting points pre drilled for the brackets just no brackets supplied, think this was the case when I looked at the Focus RS, the actual Isofix brackets were in a sealed bag in the boot!
Old 14 January 2010, 01:57 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

If you are looking to change the car hang on for the seat... Not all seats fit all cars.

Halfords will try the seat in both cars for you for nothing then you can look online for the best deal.

Isofix is safer, the seat is rock solid in the car, anything secured with a seatbelt has a degree of slip but if it isn't fitted then don't be sucked in by the base unit ones that don't have it.

We used ISOfix for the first year (Recaro seat) because you have to have a rear facing seat. When he got too big we moved to a forward facing Recaro Young Xpert. It was the mrs' choice because it has nice solid head protection and a lot of the others basically let the wee one slide about.

Your choice though chap!

5t.

EDIT just to add we have an 05 Ford Fusion as a 'family car' - no ISOfix in it, i think because of the tipping seats. Not sure about the 'bracket' thing noted above though, I thought the lugs had to be welded to the chassis, that's kind of the point.

Last edited by fivetide; 14 January 2010 at 01:59 PM.
Old 14 January 2010, 04:41 PM
Dannybwoy
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all your help guys.

I spoke to Kathryn this lunch and explained about the anchor points being present for it to be true Isofix and she wasn't aware of that either, so we have both learnt something.

We will definately be paying a visit to Halfords/Mothercare to scope out whats what as by the sounds of it both cars (the Beemer I am after is a MY99) wont come with ready installed anchor points either.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Dan