tell me about this car.

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2010, 08:59 PM
mattsprattuk
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tell me about this car.

Hi, first post on here etc.
this forum was suggested by people from www.bikechatforums.com when i made a similar post, so here it is.

i'm thinking about buying this:

http://users.autoexposure.co.uk/vehicle.cfm?Account=AETA85844&Style=2&Id=AETV35551 418&Make=SUBARU&Model=IMPREZA&City=Plymouth

i THINK its the 2L turbo, and im going for a test drive and possible buy on thursday.

is it FWD, RWD or AWD
things to look out for? its pretty low milage for its age.
is the price right? looks pretty good nick.
what does WRX mean? is it actually one or is it just a sticker

i'd like to know as much as i can about it, as i cant find much because i dont know what to look for as theres so many different models. all i know is it's a 1993 model.

any help appreciated
cheers,
x
Old 12 January 2010, 09:13 PM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i personally think it aint worth buying, its 17yrs old and without history its a big ask for it to be reliable and not end up costing double in repairs. Check pistonheads and you will find better but will have to pay a little extra. As for what to look out for on a car that old, i would not know where to start.
Old 12 January 2010, 09:16 PM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also just realised that it will be a import so you may want to check insurance first.
Old 12 January 2010, 09:19 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Check the for sale forum on here as there's some nice Scoobs for sale + owned by SNet members so will mostly be well cared for. There's a real nice modded car for £2.5k (bit more than £1500 of course).

TX.

Edit - here it is:

https://www.scoobynet.com/private-sa...ml#post9152688

Last edited by Terminator X; 12 January 2010 at 09:25 PM.
Old 12 January 2010, 09:20 PM
dnc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mattsprattuk
Hi, first post on here etc.
this forum was suggested by people from www.bikechatforums.com when i made a similar post, so here it is.

i'm thinking about buying this:

http://users.autoexposure.co.uk/vehicle.cfm?Account=AETA85844&Style=2&Id=AETV35551 418&Make=SUBARU&Model=IMPREZA&City=Plymouth

i THINK its the 2L turbo, and im going for a test drive and possible buy on thursday.

If it is a WRX (and nothing looks obviously wrong), it is a 2l turbo and will have been imported from japan at some point. WRX is essentially a model variant of the impreza. Think this will be 220 ps as standard but back box at least has been changed. Price looks good as it looks clean, at least the exterior does lol.

is it FWD, RWD or AWD
things to look out for? its pretty low milage for its age.
is the price right? looks pretty good nick.
what does WRX mean? is it actually one or is it just a sticker

i'd like to know as much as i can about it, as i cant find much because i dont know what to look for as theres so many different models. all i know is it's a 1993 model.

any help appreciated
cheers,
x

Nothing in the pics suggest to me it is not a WRX. WRX is just a model variant and it is a 2l turbo, think 220 ps as std for that year. Back box is not standard. The car will have been imported from japan at some point, though IIRC some middle east or Australian ones were also WRX but had a lower spec. Price looks pretty good to me, looks clean (on the outside at least!). Someone will post a link to model history information for you, there is plenty of info available. Need to check for service history (6 monthly intervals). The WRX is AWD.

Not really too much info on the ad. There will be some people along at some point to give much more history/info on this model, there is plenty of info available if you look for it.

HTH for now

dnc
Old 12 January 2010, 09:28 PM
mattsprattuk
Scooby Newbie

cheers for the info. any specs and stuff would be appreciated. ill give the dealer a grilling when i turn up on thursday and hopefully ill drive away with it.
Old 12 January 2010, 10:32 PM
scoobjam74
Scooby Regular

forget what ljf said mate 17 years old whats that got to do with it if its been looked after it shouldnt matter as for the milage thats not that bad really just see if theres any history like cam belt change oil changes at least every 6 months or 4-5 thousand and if you cane it alot every 3 thou i do mine also yes its a turbo wrx awd and being an import make sure you run it on super unleaded as it wont run for long if you start caning it on regular unleaded

comon things to look for are

cracks in the discs (sign of being driven hard )
worn tyers on the outside edge (also driven hard)
bleed valve fitted (walk away mate dont buy )
other than that its like any car that you would look at
check oil levels water level in header tank and over flow (important)
gearbox also has a dipstick
mods that would be ok are induction kit and exhaust there the most comon and are fine
being a wagon it probably hasnt been caned anyway

hope this helps mate
Old 12 January 2010, 10:47 PM
fastmike
Scooby Regular

i just sold a 92 WRX...... totally rust free car ..... age has little if anything to do with condition IMHO...... its all about how it was cared for .
Old 12 January 2010, 11:49 PM
scoobjam74
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fastmike
i just sold a 92 WRX...... totally rust free car ..... age has little if anything to do with condition IMHO...... its all about how it was cared for .
mines a 96 uk spec with 156000 thou on it it had 122000 when i bought it it runs fine no rust and still pushing out 267bhp

oh just check the gearbox also for crunchy gears as this can also be a problem on some early models if its been abbused