Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is is with people that sell cars?

Search this Thread

Old 31 December 2009, 11:08 AM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry What is is with people that sell cars?

What is is with people that sell cars?
People just don't answer emails at all, only answer a few questions or take 3 days to get back to you
No wonder cars don't sell.

If you are going to sell a car wouldn't you take the pictures before people start asking for them Is it unreasonable to want a pic of the engine interior and service history documents

I am sick of finding a car getting the info together sort the money out decide I want it then hear nothing back or its been sold for less that i offered

How hard can it be to find a car

Rant over Happy new year to all
Old 31 December 2009, 11:23 AM
D17KDB
Scooby Regular

Defo agree with you there mate.
Old 31 December 2009, 11:25 AM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

i understand the picture thing mate 100% agree but i think one of the problems is when someone is selling a car, they get a hell of a lot of emails from people and half of them if not more are time wasters and i a lot of sellers will have the opinion that if someone is really interested they will pick up the phone and call.

just keep your head up mate, keep looking and i am sure you will find one soon.

happy new year
Old 31 December 2009, 11:38 AM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevie1982
i understand the picture thing mate 100% agree but i think one of the problems is when someone is selling a car, they get a hell of a lot of emails from people and half of them if not more are time wasters and i a lot of sellers will have the opinion that if someone is really interested they will pick up the phone and call.

just keep your head up mate, keep looking and i am sure you will find one soon.

happy new year
Yours was one I wanted

You can normally tell by the questions people are asking if they are interested or not. When I sold my car I answered every question however daft as you never know they may be the one that buys it.
I never ring somebody up to start with no point if the basics arent right.
I live in France so it costs a fortune for me to ring mobiles anyway.
Old 31 December 2009, 12:04 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

From the other side of the fence, I have been trying to sell my car and have spent hours replying to emails. A lot of people just waste your time wanting photos and asking stupid questions that can be researched by anyone with half a brain and an Internet connection. Another annoying thing is when you spend ages talking to a potential buyer who doesn't say from the start that they don't have enough money and want to put a totally unsuitable car in against the price.

In my opinion an advert needs to be informative to a point and then replies to emails and phone calls can only tell you so much. You need to come and look at a car as a buyer if you are serious after a certain amount of correspondence. That's how I see it anyway.
Old 31 December 2009, 12:12 PM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mikkel
From the other side of the fence, I have been trying to sell my car and have spent hours replying to emails. A lot of people just waste your time wanting photos and asking stupid questions that can be researched by anyone with half a brain and an Internet connection. Another annoying thing is when you spend ages talking to a potential buyer who doesn't say from the start that they don't have enough money and want to put a totally unsuitable car in against the price.

In my opinion an advert needs to be informative to a point and then replies to emails and phone calls can only tell you so much. You need to come and look at a car as a buyer if you are serious after a certain amount of correspondence. That's how I see it anyway.
I agree with some of that but I know what I am looking for and what these cars are so my questions are relevant ones. I cant go see a car unless I am 99% sure I will buy it and I always make that clear after a couple of emails along with the price I can pay if its lower than the asking price. Dont see the point asking all the questions then find out I cant afford it
Old 31 December 2009, 12:28 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

If all buyers were like you, then maybe us sellers would not be so grumpy

I have to admit I have spoken to a few decent people in the course of trying to sell and those deals just didn't work out as we couldn't agree terms financially or their car was not what I was looking for as a part ex. Others have been rather bizarre, mentally challenged and rude people, but I guess it takes all sorts...
Old 31 December 2009, 12:38 PM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Wow just sent a question to a dealer about a car advertised for sale on there own site and piston heads and got an answer within 2 minutes
Opened the email and all it said was "sold"
Lazy ba*tards couldn't be arsed to type anything else
Old 31 December 2009, 01:11 PM
moff1888
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rbaz
Wow just sent a question to a dealer about a car advertised for sale on there own site and piston heads and got an answer within 2 minutes
Opened the email and all it said was "sold"
Lazy ba*tards couldn't be arsed to type anything else
Ha I've had a couple like that.
Old 31 December 2009, 01:13 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

don't forget it is holiday time as well.
Old 31 December 2009, 02:56 PM
Mifo
Scooby Regular

Had the exact same thing whilst trying to sell mine. Loads of questions, most were already answered in the actual advert, loads of ridiculous offers without even coming to look at it.
Ive probably had 20+ people contact me but no one asks to come and have a look!
Old 31 December 2009, 03:04 PM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mifo
Had the exact same thing whilst trying to sell mine. Loads of questions, most were already answered in the actual advert, loads of ridiculous offers without even coming to look at it.
Ive probably had 20+ people contact me but no one asks to come and have a look!
That's my biggest problem I think. I cant view then negotiate the price.
All has to be done by email with pics etc
Old 31 December 2009, 05:51 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

mate have a look here i know you were after my t25 and big fud is selling his

https://www.scoobynet.com/private-sa...must-seen.html

steve
Old 01 January 2010, 11:08 AM
timmy2take
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've just sold my Impreza and had nothing but emails. If your genuinely interested you'd be on the phone to speak to the owner, bar in RBAZ's case.

One of my highlights of selling my Impreza was this guy from ebay:

Subaru Impreza STI Version 3 LOW MILES **BARGAIN** MINT on eBay (end time 26-Dec-09 16:30:27 GMT)

Dear timwishartrock,

hi there how much bhp is it pushing?? if so any proof??

thanks

- baby.aliza

I replied:
Well they are 280BHP as standard, and this has a few mods but no silly ones so I'll let you take a guess. In my eyes you wont find a more powerful car for the money, especially in this condition and with this mileage and all the work that has been done to it. If you can find better for the money let me know.

Many thanks

and Merry Xmas

Next reply:
Dear timwishartrock,

Firstly ure never gna get back wht u spent unfortunately, secondly there's the huge issue with reliability it hasn't even been run in and finally frm wht uve listed shotcuts have been taken to build it.. No strengthend gearbox, shatfs, bearings etc!!! I think we both knw it needs a lot more spending onit to get it reliable enough to use its full potential..

Ok... so it's only been running for the last 56,000 miles without fail! blah blah blah, I could go on about the above. So he was obviously one of the many time wasters, but I did reply as he got my back up:

Its almost as if you think you have a clue. This is standard you stupid ****

Not the nicest of replies, but appropriate I feel, and heres his last reply:
Dear timwishartrock,

Ure the stupid **** who thinks he gna get his money back its worth 2500 and ul be lucky if sum1 was stupid enough to gve u tht... Its obviously ****ed hence ure trying to con sum1 by selling it so soon.. Stick ure bag of **** car where the sun don't shine and keep dreaming bout ure m3.. ****ing loosa!!! now ****off b4 I *** stuff the car in ure turkeys asse for xmas.. Haha

It sold to the 1st person that viewed it by the way as I thought it would.
Old 01 January 2010, 11:18 AM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

cracking reply.

Your ad had all the details on it so not much people can ask you other than price exchanges etc
Look at this ad you will see why I need to ask a lot of questions doesn't tell you much Subaru : litchfields sti type 20 £11,500
He hasn't even said what model it is MY04orMY05 big difference in price and potential buyers.
Old 01 January 2010, 11:32 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Simple rule: If the person doesn't make an effort to sell. Walk away. Don't bother buying off them. There will always be another (possibly better) car to buy.

Same if your selling; if a buyer faffs about, tell them (politely) to sod off.

First point of contact should always be via phone. Any details/pics can be sent via email/PM after first voice contact, only messers and jokers use the internet as a first point of contact in my experience.

Ok it will take longer to get the right buyer or seller. But it saves a hell of alot of wasted time messing with the jokers. I have been proven wrong on the odd occasion, but then the ones who are genuine usually shine through when given a strict but polite ultimatum.

Last edited by ALi-B; 01 January 2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old 01 January 2010, 11:51 AM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Must be just me then I would never ring up first (even if I was in the UK) email is so much quicker and easier when i phone people I always forget to ask something
If people put please ring don't email that's fair enough but if you put an email address down you should be prepared to answer reasonable questions.

The Type20 I have all but given up on it is a MY05 (non Spec C) genuine Type20 from new. Said spoiler can be removed without damage as it uses the original mounting and its had a cam belt (didn't answer if there was any proof
That's all i got from him he didn't answer all of my questions and hasn't yet sent the photos I requested (I explained I was in France and couldn't get to see it before I buy it)
I know its only been a week with Xmas and new year in between but that is long enough if he wanted to sell it.
Old 01 January 2010, 05:04 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

If I decide to try to sell mine again, which I might as I fancy a second bike as a weekend toy as opposed to the Impreza, I will list it on Auto Trader or sell via my mates garage. I thought I would get like minded enthusiasts on pistonheads but the majority of people on there just want to swap. Its more like Top Trumps than classified
Old 01 January 2010, 05:47 PM
scoobyhurky
Scooby Regular

If I decide to try to sell mine again, which I might as I fancy a second bike as a weekend toy as opposed to the Impreza, I will list it on Auto Trader or sell via my mates garage. I thought I would get like minded enthusiasts on pistonheads but the majority of people on there just want to swap. Its more like Top Trumps than classified
your right about piston heads