Sponsored by:

To VPOWER or NOT ?

Search this Thread

Old 22 October 2009, 11:03 PM
H2o-uk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To VPOWER or NOT ?

Question, I have read a fair few threads on here about how people use Octane booster , or use VPower / Optimax / Super Unleaded etc...

However when I purchased my 03 WRX from a Subaru Main Dealer , they said there was no performance benefit from using such fuel, and that regular unleaded would be fine. Maybe the higher octane would make t feel smoother, but not worth the extra money.

Whats the general consensus on the benefits of higher octane fuel ? and Costs involved ?

Thanks
Old 22 October 2009, 11:27 PM
danny-goddard
Scooby Regular

v-power is top fuel mate the higher the ron the better it burns. it burns cooler and cleaner. if you up the power through a remap the mapper will be able to run safer higher power and minimise dettonation even when my car was running standed power i always treated it to the good stuff it just seems to run better.

Last edited by danny-goddard; 22 October 2009 at 11:29 PM.
Old 22 October 2009, 11:35 PM
Telf
Scooby Regular

I always use V-Power. My RB5 is a Prodrive one which says it needs Super Unleaded anyway, it sees to run happier on the more potent stuff, and get a few more miles out of a tank. In the past I sometimes put Tesco Super (also 99 ron) in, but Shell is only about 1p more and I think it is better.
The dealer is probably right, if your car has an ECU expecting normal unleaded, it probably won't get much from super. I go for V-Power as it won't run on unleaded unless I take it for a re-map - like thats gonna happen.

Last edited by Telf; 22 October 2009 at 11:38 PM. Reason: More writing
Old 22 October 2009, 11:41 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

V power or Tesco99 all day long.I much prefer tescos99 though as v power gives me less mpg and feels slightly sluggish compared to when its run on tesco99 its also 5p/litre more expensive
Old 22 October 2009, 11:57 PM
cossie-nutter
Scooby Regular

Use Normal Unleaded and when the engine melts take it back and say they were wrong!
Old 23 October 2009, 12:20 AM
lloydee
Scooby Regular

On the fuel cover of my previous scoob it says 97ron or more only.

V-Power all the way, apparently it's more efficient and goes longer as well.
Old 23 October 2009, 12:45 AM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by H2o-uk
Question, I have read a fair few threads on here about how people use Octane booster , or use VPower / Optimax / Super Unleaded etc...

However when I purchased my 03 WRX from a Subaru Main Dealer , they said there was no performance benefit from using such fuel, and that regular unleaded would be fine. Maybe the higher octane would make t feel smoother, but not worth the extra money.

Whats the general consensus on the benefits of higher octane fuel ? and Costs involved ?

Thanks

that is shocking advice from a dealership

always use super unleaded, preferably shell v power or tesco 99. If there is time where you have to use a low ron unleaded make sure you do not drive it like you stole it otherwise you will end up picking pieces of your engine up

Is this your first turbo car by any chance??
Old 23 October 2009, 07:13 AM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I have been using Sainsbury's Super lately, runs exactly the same as it did with V-Power, maybe even a little better.

Would not chance using 95RON though.
Old 23 October 2009, 07:47 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Tried Sainsbury's SUL, and it seems as good as V-Power in mine...

dunx
Old 23 October 2009, 08:45 AM
scoobiewrx555
Scooby Regular

Reset your ECU, use 95RON for one tank then Reset your ECU again and use 99RON for the next tank full. If you genuinely cannot feel a difference in power/torque output get yourself an electric scooter.

Every scoob has a knock sensor on board for good reason and will advance/retard timing according to the amount of knock (Detonation) detected as a result of quality/grade of fuel used. You may not neceesarily blow your engine up but it will be right down on power. Eventually however if you keep driving it hard on 95RON it will let go without a doubt!! Ask those poor sods in Ireland driving classic and newage scoobs that can't get hold of anything other than 95RON for whatever reason (and there are many of them) just how badly their cars run, how many engines have let go and just how low on power their cars are. A lot of them use Octane boosters with 95RON but it doesn't really have a huge effect. You're better off using a Methanol mix.

The Subaru Stealer doesn't neccessarily have a clue. I know a couple of Subaru salesmen that run scoobs themselves, and even though they will tell you the customer that it will run fine on 95RON, they actually use 99RON in their own cars. I think this is more a Subaru directive rather than an unknowledgeable dealer.
Old 23 October 2009, 08:54 AM
H2o-uk
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the responses, I'll try a tank of the good stuff next time. How do I go about resetting the ECU ?
Old 23 October 2009, 09:02 AM
New_scooby_04

You don't feed a racehorse sugar lumps; you don't put normal UL in a performance car. Simple as. Even if you don't get into the remapping malarky the car WILL perform better on SUL, the higher octane, the better. Subarus like Vpower and Tescos 99RON.

Mine has never had anything other than Vpower.
Old 23 October 2009, 09:03 AM
scoobiewrx555
Scooby Regular

If you're not very far away from me i would be happy to reset your newage ECU FOC via my laptop. Anybody with some EOBD/OBDII general diagnostic kit/hand held type device or laptop diagnostic software and cable will be able to reset your ECU. You cannot do it manually unless you leave your car battery disconnected for a long time (many days). You can buy handheld general diagnostic/error code reading kit on eBay very cheaply and if all you want it for is to reset your ECU it will do the job. I'm in Northampton if that's of any help.
Old 23 October 2009, 10:07 AM
V555MAC
Scooby Regular

I run my classic on V-Power and octane booster, the reason being that it has a Prova ecu which is set up for JDM fuel. Since doing this the car flies now with no erratic running in traffic either

V-POWER all the way
Old 23 October 2009, 01:19 PM
H2o-uk
Scooby Regular

Thanks Scoobiewrx55 but Im in Leeds, long way to come for an ECU reset. However I do have Vagcom and an OBD2 Diag cable, I could always give it a try my self if you are able to show me a link to how its done.
Old 23 October 2009, 02:12 PM
scoobiewrx555
Scooby Regular

On an 03 WRX it's dead simple. Directly down from the steering column you'll find the OBDII connector. Just plug in the cable, switch your equipment on and once it discovers the ECU (it may even come up with Vin number info etc... all std OBDII stuff) scroll to the menu bit that comes up 'clear codes'. Don't know exactly what the menu arrangement is on the vagcom but it should be fairly straightforward and self-explanatory. If you get stuck pm me.
Old 23 October 2009, 05:47 PM
cbscooby
Scooby Regular

my car didn't run well on shell v but was bril wen i started using sainsburys super
Old 23 October 2009, 08:40 PM
zedhed
Scooby Regular

What does it say on the inside of the fuel filler cap mine says 98 ron and its a 53 wrx uk.
Old 23 October 2009, 09:57 PM
H2o-uk
Scooby Regular

Its says 98 Ron, but as I said when I picked up the car , the sales guy said just to use regular unleaded as it would be fine. Ive only done about 800 miles since I collected the car last week and its been 90% motorway miles very little hammering it around , so hopefully not much damage caused.

I have another couple of hundred miles left in the tank then I'll start using Vpower as thats the local station.
Old 23 October 2009, 10:45 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

its funny how each scoob is different tho, running mine on tesco99 gives me about 20 LESS miles than when i put the same amount in of vpower at the same price per litre and it runs much much better on vpower than tesco99

working out the difference its about £1 more than if i were putting in £20 worth of normal so over the yr thats say,£100 more than using normal,over say guessing 6 yrs of ownership that £600,a rebuild is a good £3k so a good saving for using vpower !
Old 24 October 2009, 10:29 AM
ginger321
Scooby Regular

Def get v power into it. Preset your sat nav with all the nearest garages. Dont get BP ultimate my classic was mapped on BP an made 289bhp on a VF34 an 440cc injectors.
on v power i got 301!
Old 24 October 2009, 04:54 PM
winker
Scooby Regular

Default fuel

your car if it is standard english would run ok on 97 ron if you plan to upgrade or track that is different .
Old 24 October 2009, 05:41 PM
burbling1
Scooby Regular

I have another couple of hundred miles left in the tank then I'll start using Vpower as thats the local station.[/QUOTE]

Dude how bigs your tank. Im lucky to get 200 miles out of a tank never mind another couple of hundred.
Old 24 October 2009, 06:12 PM
brammer
Scooby Regular

I asked the same thing when i bought mine - PPP cert says 95 ron is fine but the general responce on here was 97+ ron so i tested the 2 and the results were 95 is a waste of time (fuel economy down) Tesco's 99 for around the town and on long runs V-power worked better, but thats my car.

Tesco 99 MPG = 25 (mainly off boost driving)

Last edited by brammer; 24 October 2009 at 06:14 PM.
Old 24 October 2009, 06:43 PM
Anubis
Scooby Newbie

i use v-power or tesco 99, not sure how it runs on newer cars but on my old scooby you really noticed the difference, when i got my black wrx (jap import) the ppl before run it on unleaded, it ran lumpy and had virually no power, so after the tank was run down i put a tank of v power in and it was like a new car, since then i allways run my cars on v power and never looked back
Old 24 October 2009, 09:30 PM
H2o-uk
Scooby Regular

Burbling1, Ive actually managed just short of 400 miles on a tank before the light came on, and yes I know I shouldnt run it below a quarter full, but I forgot my wallet and was willing it on Its a standard 03 WRX, apart from a Prodrive backbox and straight through centre pipe.
Old 25 October 2009, 02:00 PM
Mr. WRX
Scooby Regular

I was watching 5th Gear the other day (repeat on dave) and they did a test on fuels:

Results:

(BHP)

------------------CLIO------Golf------Impreza-------(impreza's torque)
Supermarket 95-----81-------172-------235--------------232
Ultimate------------81-------174-------248--------------248
Optimax------------81-------177-------249--------------258

So not much difference on the clio or golf but quite a bit on the impreza
Old 25 October 2009, 02:46 PM
the_big_1
Scooby Regular

What suppermarket did they say? Looks like 26 gain between suppermarket and optimax?
Old 26 October 2009, 04:37 PM
H2o-uk
Scooby Regular

Ok, VPOWER is in the tank, driven about 100 miles on it doesnt feel any different. I'm assuming this is because the ECU will take a couple of tanks to adjust to the higher octane its now receiving ?
Old 26 October 2009, 04:50 PM
scoobiewrx555
Scooby Regular

Filling your car with V-Power or Tesco 99RON when it's absolutely empty is a good start and an ECU reset so your car quickly learns brand new values from the new fuel is a big plus.

Quick Reply: To VPOWER or NOT ?