Sponsored by:

AFP5-20gTurbo ?

Search this Thread

Old 21 October 2009, 08:10 PM
bern11
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AFP5-20gTurbo ?

Anybody running one of these turbo's,if so what are they like?
Iv'e got a my05sti and just wanting a bit extra,running about 330 at the moment!The main thing is i don't wan't it to be laggy!
On the website it says it achieves 1 bar+ at 2600 revs on a 2.5 but mine being a 2.0, so just wondered what they are like and how they run,when boost comes in and what revs!

Thanks
Bernie
Old 21 October 2009, 08:18 PM
Marx Mcrae
Scooby Regular

How much power are you wanting??
If not over 380bhp then you would be better off with a TD05 18g, they work brilliantly with the 2.0!!
Old 21 October 2009, 08:51 PM
bern11
Scooby Regular

yeah prob around that figure!Where can you get them from and any idea how much?
Was thinking about the afp one because they do an exchange for an old turbo,so it will save me quite a bit!! as i'm on a budget at the moment.

Thanks
Bernie
Old 21 October 2009, 09:03 PM
tayfun
Scooby Regular

I have the same dilema 18g or 20g? for my05sti or a garrett gt28 or 30? seriously cannot decide. everyones asking do you think youll want more power ? I always want more ofcourse!! but than again it costs money to forge the internals..... push up to 400bhp ish and leave the newage internals as is , is what i decided to do for now.
I do not think it will be any laggier than the vf35's we have got.
If thats what you have come to decide than id say get a 20g if your scooby is newage 03-05, if not, lower rpm range hence an 18g is more beneficiary.
Old 21 October 2009, 09:04 PM
tayfun
Scooby Regular

hmm.. AF will not take vf35 as exchange though
I asked him for my 05sti
Old 21 October 2009, 09:07 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Mate just a thought but keep in mind you will need a remap, possible injectors (not to sure what the STD newgae are rated to) again not to sure but you may get away with the injectors if you fitted a fuel pressure regulator and finaly your clutch dependant on millage and use of the car you might find it gives up shortly after uping the power. Not trying to put you off or say you have not thought of it already but it's just you mentioned you were on a budget and the thing with tuning is it can work out costing a lot of money as sme things go hand in hand.

Not sure what other mods you have done but I would tackle the suspension first some uprated springs, anti lift kit, rear anti roll bar as it will make a huge difference to the speed you can carry in and out of a corner

and also look at you brakes again not sure what you have but a decent set of pads and disks along with the suspension can really change the car before needing more power.

Just an idea
Old 21 October 2009, 10:08 PM
bern11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tayfun
hmm.. AF will not take vf35 as exchange though
I asked him for my 05sti
I thought that!What will he take in as ex,a friend says i can have his Td04 if it will help as he's just upgraded,have you decided what to go for?
Old 21 October 2009, 10:20 PM
bern11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevie1982
Mate just a thought but keep in mind you will need a remap, possible injectors (not to sure what the STD newgae are rated to) again not to sure but you may get away with the injectors if you fitted a fuel pressure regulator and finaly your clutch dependant on millage and use of the car you might find it gives up shortly after uping the power. Not trying to put you off or say you have not thought of it already but it's just you mentioned you were on a budget and the thing with tuning is it can work out costing a lot of money as sme things go hand in hand.

Not sure what other mods you have done but I would tackle the suspension first some uprated springs, anti lift kit, rear anti roll bar as it will make a huge difference to the speed you can carry in and out of a corner

and also look at you brakes again not sure what you have but a decent set of pads and disks along with the suspension can really change the car before needing more power.

Just an idea
Think the injectors will be ok,gonna change the headers though just waiting for Harvey to get in touch!Already done the springs,gonna change the anti roll bar and maybe drop links though and iv'e already sorted the brakes, that was the first thing i sorted!
The thing is whilst iv'e got the spare cash i want to get the turbo sorted even if i don't fit it straight away!otherwise the girlfriend will be spending it in Homebase on stuff that we don't even need lol
Old 22 October 2009, 08:40 AM
bern11
Scooby Regular

Tayfun,whats the best way to contact AF,i Emailed him a few days ago but nobody's got in touch yet?
Or do i need to have a bit of patience!!

Last edited by bern11; 22 October 2009 at 08:41 AM. Reason: wording
Old 22 October 2009, 11:28 AM
tayfun
Scooby Regular

It takes him a while to reply unfortunately, and sometimes he misses an e-mail or two. Give him some time (few days) then try again.
Old 22 October 2009, 11:44 AM
bern11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tayfun
It takes him a while to reply unfortunately, and sometimes he misses an e-mail or two. Give him some time (few days) then try again.
Thanks mate!!
Are you in the process of doing yours then,you decide what to go for?
Old 22 October 2009, 12:11 PM
tayfun
Scooby Regular

Np , well yes I am but I am looking to get a little used garett probably gt28 or 30.
I have brembos an standard suspension though.
I am still thinking between 20g (af) and garett gt28 , whichever I can get my hands on first is what I will install I think.