ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Link To Carjacking - report in todays Sun

Search this Thread

Old 12 March 2002, 01:15 PM
tony1979
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Police were last night investigating a link between the [Nwankwo] Kanu raid and one of London's worst ever carjacking sprees. The night-time crime frenzy began just miles from the Arsenal star's home. The £90,000 haul included two high-performance Subaru cars and a BMW M3 coupe. In the worst of the attacks, the armed raiders burst into a couple's bedroom and demanded their car keys. The attacks were in Enfield, North London, nearby Barnet, Southgate, and Romford, Essex. Several victims were treated for shock. A police spokesman said: "We cannot rule out a link."
Old 12 March 2002, 01:17 PM
Gussie Cup
Scooby Regular

What was the 'Kanu Raid' all about?
Old 12 March 2002, 01:20 PM
darms
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow

Was just sent this via e-mail........

Gun gang raid Kanu's home
By Chris Millar

Masked carjackers broke into Arsenal striker Nwankwo Kanu's £3million home, held his brother at gunpoint and threatened to kill him unless he handed over the keys to the star's £45,000 Mercedes car.
The Nigerian international footballer, who earns £30,000 per week, had installed a £20,000 advanced security system after a previous raid - but it was turned off because his brother Henry was in.
Police believe the gang targeted Kanu's six-bedroom home after spotting the Mercedes and a £40,000 BMW in the drive. They are linking the attack to a series of violent north London carjackings last week.
The three men, in balaclavas, broke down the front door of the house in Beech Hill, Hadley Wood, Enfield. They walked into a bedroom where Henry Kanu was asleep and held handguns to his head in the raid at around 10pm on Sunday.
The gang demanded the keys to the £45,000 Mercedes ML car and tied up Mr Kanu, believed to be in his twenties, after he told them his footballer brother was out. They ransacked the property, stealing mobile phones, cash and clothes valued at thousands of pounds.
Mr Kanu, uninjured, struggled free and telephoned a relative. But the robbers had fled when police arrived at 10.50pm.
A spokeswoman for Scotland Yard said: 'It appears the gang either kicked down the front door or used sledgehammers. We believe the robbers had knowledge of a car on the premises before.'
In the previous raid in September 2000, the player returned from abroad to find his home stripped of property worth £200,000 including the UEFA Cup winner's medal he won with Inter Milan, a £10,000 Rolex watch and the star's £70,000 Mercedes CL500.
Neighbours said they had not heard the raid. Kanu lives close to former Arsenal teammate Marc Overmars, who has also been the victim of a series of burglaries.
The player did not comment about the raid last night. His spokesman said: 'I can't say anything on Kanu's behalf, but it is a shame things like this keep happening in the UK.'
Detectives are linking the attack to one of the capital's worst spates of carjacking last week, during which armed robbers made off with two high-performance Subaru cars and a BMW M3 Coupe with a total value of around £90,000 pounds from four north London homes in four hours.

***** WHAT ARE THE POLICE DOING ******

*********** WOULD SEEM F.A. **********

Old 12 March 2002, 01:23 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

You might find this is the publicity and influence needed to get something done about these carjackings, although the cynic in me doubts this!

Chris
Old 12 March 2002, 01:32 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

I was pulled up last week by the boys in blue, apparently two silver turbos had been stolen that morning and used in an armed bank robbery.

I thought they were taking the **** when they wanted to search me and the car for a gun, it was only when they pointed out the police helicopter above that I thought best if I cooperated. Girlfriend found it highly amusing.

At least they were doing something, although I'm not sure pulling up anyone in a silver turbo was the answer.
Old 12 March 2002, 03:56 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Scary stuff going n here. If the police find my "anti car-jacking" device, would they be able to charge me for carrying a deadly assault weapon? How am I supposed to take on 3 robbers un-armed? 2 maybe but not three.
Old 12 March 2002, 04:11 PM
tony1979
Scooby Regular

I know what you mean. If the police can't cope with these carjacking's, surely people should be allowed to use something to protect themselves?!? But, depending on the weapon, this is considered a crime too. The law can be twisted...like the people who are charged for whacking burglar's in their own home!!! How is that right? (or has that law changed now?)
Old 12 March 2002, 04:37 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Nope law still hasn't changed according to my parents(lawyers). It all has to do with reasonable amount of force. How reasonable is up to the judge who just happens to reside in Fairy land where the trees are green and the leprechaun roams free in the wild. What we need is for some car thieves to steal or carjack a judges car. That'll teach them and maybe then, the laws will change.

Old 14 March 2002, 08:01 AM
Rebecca
Scooby Regular

Question

Perhaps a moderator would like to explain why this thread is still in general when my carjacking thread has been moved to non-scooby related ....

bearing in mind that scoobies were involved in the recent carjacking ....
Old 14 March 2002, 09:35 AM
tony1979
Scooby Regular

I guess you just have to mention Scoobies to some degree in your post?! Who knows. The mod's are only human!
Old 03 December 2002, 03:52 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Question

Chris - I disagree.

If stopping each and every silver turbo ensured snaring the scumbags, then all for the better. Wouldn't you say?!?

Edited to say: "Damned if they do, damned if they don't..." (sigh)

[Edited by Squizz - 3/12/2002 3:53:13 PM]