Sponsored by:

bad garage experiences

Search this Thread

Old 07 August 2009, 06:09 PM
sookx1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad garage experiences

the head gasket went on my 02 scooby the other week. only had the car for 3 months now, so took back to the dealer to be repaired as was under warranty. was told it would take just under a week as they would have to get another garage to do it as they are to busy with work. so i dropped car of last friday morning and was promised a courtesy car, which i needed as my partner was overdue to give birth and needed transport to get her to hospital. was told when arrived that they didnt have any courtesy cars but to ring back later and would sort one. all in all was told throughout the day to ringback 5 times as they was waiting for one to come in. just before closing was told to ring back again, and all i got was answer machine. had to borrow car of friend in the end to get to hospital on monday, had a gorgeous baby boy rang garage monday afternoon to see when car would be done. got told to ring back on wednesday. rang wednesday, got told to ringback friday. rang friday (today) now been told the garage is waiting for a headgasket to come in, and to ringback tuesday. feel im bein taking for a ride here.

has anyone else had experiences like this, please share and is there anything i can do about this crap service i have been given. does it really take this long to fix a head gasket?
Old 07 August 2009, 06:14 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Apparently so if you don't have the parts in stock....

Not hard is it ?

Best excuse I've heard this week.

"Got one on the shelf".... "Oh sorry someone's stolen it and left the box behind !"

You couldn't believe some of them.

dunx
Old 07 August 2009, 10:00 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Originally Posted by sookx1
the head gasket went on my 02 scooby the other week. only had the car for 3 months now, so took back to the dealer to be repaired as was under warranty. was told it would take just under a week as they would have to get another garage to do it as they are to busy with work. so i dropped car of last friday morning and was promised a courtesy car, which i needed as my partner was overdue to give birth and needed transport to get her to hospital. was told when arrived that they didnt have any courtesy cars but to ring back later and would sort one. all in all was told throughout the day to ringback 5 times as they was waiting for one to come in. just before closing was told to ring back again, and all i got was answer machine. had to borrow car of friend in the end to get to hospital on monday, had a gorgeous baby boy rang garage monday afternoon to see when car would be done. got told to ring back on wednesday. rang wednesday, got told to ringback friday. rang friday (today) now been told the garage is waiting for a headgasket to come in, and to ringback tuesday. feel im bein taking for a ride here.

has anyone else had experiences like this, please share and is there anything i can do about this crap service i have been given. does it really take this long to fix a head gasket?
First of all, there are of course TWO head gaskets. The engine has to be removed and pulled apart big style. I'd pop in and ask to see it if I were you, you'll soon see if they are doing it as there will be bits all over the place.
BTW congrats on Son! although I've found the excitement palls by the time you've had four of them..
Old 07 August 2009, 11:36 PM
sookx1
Scooby Regular

cheers alan for info, never knew they had remove whole engine and there was 2 head gaskets. now i see why it would take so long. also does the heads have to be skimmed also?

1 other ques. whats the best performance rad to get, as mine started to bend outwards from the sides, from the pressure, and i dont think the garage will replace this. as its bein done under warranty im guessing they're tryin to get it fixed the cheapest way possible. so want to get the rad done myself. might get a front fixed intercooler too, would this give better performance than the top mounted sti one i have at the moment.
Old 08 August 2009, 07:49 AM
scousefly
Scooby Regular

Default Dealer

Had mine for 3 weeks but 2 of that was sorting warranty issues with Subaru IM, I had to get involved as well with the stealer who originally sold me the car but thats a whole different story all together. Glad to say they are a dealer anymore
Old 08 August 2009, 10:43 AM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

cheers alan for info, never knew they had remove whole engine and there was 2 head gaskets. now i see why it would take so long. also does the heads have to be skimmed also?

1 other ques. whats the best performance rad to get, as mine started to bend outwards from the sides, from the pressure, and i dont think the garage will replace this. as its bein done under warranty im guessing they're tryin to get it fixed the cheapest way possible. so want to get the rad done myself. might get a front fixed intercooler too, would this give better performance than the top mounted sti one i have at the moment.
Head surfacing depends on surface condition. A good garage would strip the heads and do it properly ..

Standard rad is fine as it happens! no performance issues, they just go eventually like anything else. Your duff rad may well be the reason for your head gasket failure! I'd insist they fit a new one.
A front mount won't improve performance by itself, it just enables you to run more boost without experiencing charge temp problems.

Last edited by Alan Jeffery; 08 August 2009 at 10:45 AM. Reason: addition.
Old 08 August 2009, 09:06 PM
sookx1
Scooby Regular

thanx alan, will make sure they replace rad, dont want gasket goin again. also one update. i rang garage today to complain how have been treated and suddenly i got offered a courtesy car straight away. ok its a 2ltr laguna automatic but it gets me from A to B. first time i ever drove an automatic an i hate it! keep tryin to but my foot on the clutch, which is'nt there
Old 09 August 2009, 01:25 AM
johnlogie
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanx alan, will make sure they replace rad, dont want gasket goin again. also one update. i rang garage today to complain how have been treated and suddenly i got offered a courtesy car straight away. ok its a 2ltr laguna automatic but it gets me from A to B. first time i ever drove an automatic an i hate it! keep tryin to but my foot on the clutch, which is'nt there

My 2nd cars a 4.6 Range Rover HSE AUTO and I love it mate , u get used to the lazy auto

And the cheap fuel consumption lol
Old 09 August 2009, 07:51 AM
nazt
Scooby Regular

couple of days and problem will be when u get back in the scooby youll stop at lights and stall cause youll just have your foot on the brake lol :-) did it yesterday ahaha
Old 09 August 2009, 07:38 PM
sookx1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by johnlogie
My 2nd cars a 4.6 Range Rover HSE AUTO and I love it mate , u get used to the lazy auto

And the cheap fuel consumption lol

i have noticed that im not using so much fuel in this car, put £20 in it the other day and its lasting ages. in the scoob im puttin £60 - £80 over a weekend. with the auto u just dont feel in full control of the car, plus goin up hill the car suddenly drops a gear and its weird lol
Old 09 August 2009, 07:42 PM
sookx1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nazt
couple of days and problem will be when u get back in the scooby youll stop at lights and stall cause youll just have your foot on the brake lol :-) did it yesterday ahaha
lol nazt, i still keep puttin left foot on brake thinkin its clutch everytime i start the car. a manuals so much better when ur goin to overtake, cause u can drop a gear and get past so much quicker. takes an age to overtake in this car.
Old 09 August 2009, 07:45 PM
busby330
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nazt

Can agree with this, came back from the states in july, where i had been driving an automatic DODGE Caliber (which i loved) but got back home and kept stalling as i kept forgetting the bloody clutch. lol
Old 10 August 2009, 03:09 AM
johnlogie
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have noticed that im not using so much fuel in this car, put £20 in it the other day and its lasting ages. in the scoob im puttin £60 - £80 over a weekend. with the auto u just dont feel in full control of the car, plus goin up hill the car suddenly drops a gear and its weird lol
If you put your foot to the floor then it enables the "kick down". Dont floor it and it will be alot smoother
Old 11 August 2009, 06:54 PM
nazt
Scooby Regular

not just me then, phwew lol

my manual is much better on fuel than the auto mind