Sponsored by:

Painted cars

Search this Thread

Old 05 August 2009, 01:54 PM
GTW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painted cars

Would a freshly painted car put you off buying it?

I was going to repaint my wrx at the end of the month, But ive decided that i want a Blobeye STI.

There are a few little car park dents and some slight scuffs on the car so i was tidying it up. But, for me being a painter as long as the job is a good un i dont mind buying a car which has had paintwork...

I dont want to put potential buyers off due to it having a paint and people automatically thinking its been shunted.

Thoughts?

Last edited by GTW; 05 August 2009 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05 August 2009, 02:00 PM
racojaco
Scooby Regular

yes it would put me off! especially a full paint job.im more concerned about rust and worried that within a few weeks the fresh paint is gonna start blistering as rust reappears. obviously this isnt a concern on aluminium bonnets or plastic bumpers so these areas wouldnt deter me

Last edited by racojaco; 05 August 2009 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05 August 2009, 02:09 PM
Tazz Kill Er
Scooby Regular

My red scooby was unfortunate enough to loose a fight with some battery acid and brake fluid, and everywhere the car was repainted has faded to a lovely cloudy kind of pink, the original paintwork is ok apart from swirl marks, i think that would put off somone from buying the car more than a full paintjob, if the car is going to be the same colour then maybe detailed before and after pics would help sell the car.
Old 05 August 2009, 02:09 PM
Abx
Scooby Regular

Would put me off also, why not sell the car as it is and if they try to knock you down for the door dings etc then offer to paint those parts at a cost to you, that way you may not even need to bother and they can atleast see what was there before.
Old 05 August 2009, 02:22 PM
ian.b
BANNED

It would not put me off if you keep a photo album (date stamped) of the car before the spray job also try and get some whilst it is being painted that should prove the car was in order, you get the idea i hope
Old 05 August 2009, 09:00 PM
GTW
Scooby Regular

Yeah i know what your saying ian, Might just get our dent man on the bugger and paint the back bumper. There is certainly no rust on the car but it certainly needs a clean up. I guess if i can trade it at a garage im laffing as there not really too arsed lol.

I might save my money then on painting this, Glad ive not spent a **** load on clear and waterbase paint lol.
Old 06 August 2009, 12:29 AM
Bealescooby
Scooby Regular

would not deter me at all as long as it was a quality job and no shunts
most people have there front bumper, bonnet , wings etc done when there stone chipped or get dings
so would that put people off that the front has been painted to make the car mint , it wouldn't me as long as it was documented with pics etc
also 1 thing the japaneese don't do well is paint to the highest of standards i've seen many of standard jobs with orange peel effect there are some top quality painters here and if you pay for quality it will more than likely never be noticed that it has been sprayed
If your sellin then u need 2 weigh up the costs and ask is it cost effective to do a full paint job
i got a m8 who does dent's (dentman) he's realy good and really good prices
Old 06 August 2009, 08:52 AM
AdamMole
Scooby Regular

Bought my subaru, had a few dents here and there but all sorted now as they were all removed with paintless methods. I would not be to bothered if it had been painted as long as the job was quality. If anything it just restores the car to what it should look like.
Old 06 August 2009, 11:57 AM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

it wouldn't put me off either a decent quality paint job should complement a car especially at the age of some classics which would benefit from a freshen up.