Sponsored by:

vibration when idling

Search this Thread

Old 14 July 2009, 04:33 PM
norniron1978
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vibration when idling

Hi Guys, first time poster. I recently left my '98 legacy outback 2.5L DOHC (manual transmission, 90K miles) into the garage due to CEL flashing. It was diagnosed with multiple misfires and had the ignition coil and sparks replaced. When I picked it up, I noticed that it vibrated a lot when idling, which disappeared once I accelerated and moved through the gears. It DID NOT vibrate before I left it in. I took it back and they checked the usual suspects, engine mounts but found nothing wrong. They said it was originating from the engine or transmission area, but could not diagnose it. He added a cleaner to the fuel, but this has made no difference. The mechanic did say he found an oil leak around the cam seal and suggested that I should get the timing belt changed (has not been changed yet as far as I know). The car idles anywhere between 400 rpm to 900. The higher idle rpm seems to coincide with the radiator fan switching on, which seems a bit weird to me. At higher idle, the vibration is not as bad. It has nothing to do with the AC as this is always switched off.

1. Could something have been done during the ignition coil replacement that could possibly account for the vibration?

2. Could the code clearing from the CPU have caused the vibration? I have been driving it for 2 weeks now, and the vibration has not reduced in severity.

3. Could it have something to do with the timing belt?

I want to try and get some suggestions before I spend more money on it.

Thanks in advance.
Old 14 July 2009, 05:32 PM
charlieogden
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could also try Uklegacy.com if you haven't already

Charlie